On Having More Sense / The Way of the Penguin

On Having More Sense / The Way of the Penguin

Post by Stewart C. Russel » Mon, 02 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I found the following passage in a short story:

    Know  that  there   is nothing   you may   not  learn, in  putting
    yourselves   within the triangular   webprints   of the noble  and
    courageous penguin.  What  goodness and  example  may you not find
    there? Name me the  penguin  which has ever  burned down  a listed
    building by carelessly smoking in bed?  Point me out the mocker of
    elderly  ladies, the  jumper of  queues,  the giver  of previously
    sucked boiled  sweets to little children who  ever was revealed to
    be a penguin.

    You cannot.

--- excerpted from "On Having More Sense" from 'Now that you're back',
                                 by A. L. Kennedy, pub. Vintage, 1995.

Considering the Linux logo is a penguin, I think the title of the
story says a lot about our choice of operating system.

Stewart.

--

 "Hang on... This is the real thing...
  The truth, my friend, and nothing but the truth" - Mervyn Peake

On Having More Sense / The Way of the Penguin

Post by T.J. Harrell I » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I found the following passage in a short story:

>     Know  that  there   is nothing   you may   not  learn, in  putting
>     yourselves   within the triangular   webprints   of the noble  and
>     courageous penguin.  What  goodness and  example  may you not find
>     there? Name me the  penguin  which has ever  burned down  a listed
>     building by carelessly smoking in bed?  Point me out the mocker of
>     elderly  ladies, the  jumper of  queues,  the giver  of previously
>     sucked boiled  sweets to little children who  ever was revealed to
>     be a penguin.

>     You cannot.

> --- excerpted from "On Having More Sense" from 'Now that you're back',
>                                  by A. L. Kennedy, pub. Vintage, 1995.

> Considering the Linux logo is a penguin, I think the title of the
> story says a lot about our choice of operating system.

True, but why can't I get the image of Burgess Meredith out of my mind?
--
T.J. Harrell III
Programmer/Analyst, Navajo Refining Company

1. On Having More Sense / The Way of the Penguin

[...]

2. NICE/RENICE: SAFE way to lower NI/PRI

3. Learning the ways of the Penguin

4. uagent problem

5. Deciphering IBM/AIX SCSI Sense data to ANSI SCSI Sense data

6. DNS without a fqdn

7. log sense parameter code does not make sense

8. After upgrade to 1.0 I've lost my intelimouse wheel...???

9. "Request sense couldn't get sense data" -- huh?

10. OT (but penguin related) - Penguins on patrol

11. Any other ways to link a linux machine to a network

12. How do i disable all ways to get access to the dos prompt on startup?

13. newbie to discussions, are there other ways to discuss?