Help, error msg. on boot up

Post by Lamar Thoma » Tue, 29 May 2001 13:38:06

I am running RH 7.1.  The power went out at my house and my Linux system
went down the hard way.  When I started the system back up after the power
came back on I got the following error msg.:

Checking Root filesystem
/ contains a file system with errors, check forced
/:
UNATTACHED inode 24577
/: unexpected inconsistency; RUN fsck manually.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give ROOT password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

After I type in the ROOT password I get a command prompt saying "filesystem
#1".  When I type "fsck" the command prompt changes to "filesystem #2".  I
repeated this all the way to "filesystem #250".  That's where I stopped.  As
far as I know, it would have gone on forever!

When I run the "shutdown -h now" command and restart my system I get the
same problem.  Anyone know how I can get my system back up and running?
Thanks for any and all help.

Lamar

Help, error msg. on boot up

Post by Christopher Alber » Tue, 29 May 2001 17:55:13

> I am running RH 7.1.  The power went out at my house and my Linux system
> went down the hard way.  When I started the system back up after the power
> came back on I got the following error msg.:

> Checking Root filesystem
> / contains a file system with errors, check forced
> /:
> UNATTACHED inode 24577
> /: unexpected inconsistency; RUN fsck manually.
> (i.e., without -a or -p options)
> *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> *** when you leave the shell.
> Give ROOT password for maintenance
> (or type Control-D for normal startup):

> After I type in the ROOT password I get a command prompt saying "filesystem
> #1".  When I type "fsck" the command prompt changes to "filesystem #2".  I
> repeated this all the way to "filesystem #250".  That's where I stopped.  As
> far as I know, it would have gone on forever!

> When I run the "shutdown -h now" command and restart my system I get the
> same problem.  Anyone know how I can get my system back up and running?
> Thanks for any and all help.

> Lamar

Lamar

Try it with
#fsck -y /dev/hdxx

where /dev/hdxx corresponds to the partitions that need checking, which
will give a "yes" answer to all the questions.

Chris

Help, error msg. on boot up

Post by Lamar Thoma » Wed, 30 May 2001 01:52:10

> > I am running RH 7.1.  The power went out at my house and my Linux system
> > went down the hard way.  When I started the system back up after the power
> > came back on I got the following error msg.:

> > Checking Root filesystem
> > / contains a file system with errors, check forced
> > /:
> > UNATTACHED inode 24577
> > /: unexpected inconsistency; RUN fsck manually.
> > (i.e., without -a or -p options)
> > *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> > *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> > *** when you leave the shell.
> > Give ROOT password for maintenance
> > (or type Control-D for normal startup):

> > After I type in the ROOT password I get a command prompt saying "filesystem
> > #1".  When I type "fsck" the command prompt changes to "filesystem #2".  I
> > repeated this all the way to "filesystem #250".  That's where I stopped.  As
> > far as I know, it would have gone on forever!

> > When I run the "shutdown -h now" command and restart my system I get the
> > same problem.  Anyone know how I can get my system back up and running?
> > Thanks for any and all help.

> > Lamar

> Lamar

> Try it with
> #fsck -y /dev/hdxx

> where /dev/hdxx corresponds to the partitions that need checking, which
> will give a "yes" answer to all the questions.

> Chris

Thanks Chris,

But I didn't know which partition(s) needed checking because the error didn't
tell me.  However, after hours of looking I found this command that checks ALL
partitions:  "#fsck -A -V ; == $? ==".  That worked.  Thanks for your help.

Lamar

1. boot error msg.. please help me

Hi, i did a clean install to upgrade my system to RedHat 7.3
kernel-2.4.18-3

there is a error msg showing on system startup

1.

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2

I tried to manually excute
/sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter
after, and i was able to load that module

what is making the module loader to fail at the boot when loading that
module?How do fix it instead of loading it manually everytime?

2.

PCI: Probing PCI hardware
"Unknown bridge resources 0: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resources 1: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resources 2: assuming transparent"

is this an error msg?

Someone please help me!!

Thanx^^
Francis

2. 3 bash questions (Slackware 3.5)

3. help - boot error msg "can't find kernel

4. Default X-windows login

5. Modprobe error msg on boot

6. Boot & X Q.

7. Boot Error Msg: selection: ioctl (..., TIOCLINUX, ...) ??

8. PLIP 1.2.13 <==> 2.0.30

9. lpd error msg at booting time

10. AIX 4.3.3 boot error msg "F22"

11. Boot disk error msg.

12. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

13. Any help with this error msg??