Please help me to get sound to work on redhat linux 7.1

Please help me to get sound to work on redhat linux 7.1

Post by Brian Kir » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 08:11:49

Hey, here's the situation, if anyone can help me out.  I've been using
linux for awhile, and have used a few different distributions.  A few
years ago, I installed RedHat Linux 6.0, and have since then upgraded.
 Anyway, when I had RedHat Linux 6.0, my sound didn't work, and I had
to run the sndconfig to get it working.  Anyway, no problem there.
I've got a soundblaster 16 card.  Later, I upgraded to 7.2, and i
didn't even need to run a sndconfig, because it was detected
automatically.  The problem was that 7.2 ran relatively slow on the
machine I was using it on, since I don't have anything that fancy for
linux use now.  So, I installed 7.1, and that was MUCH faster on my
machine.  The problem was, however, that it didn't detect my
soundcard, like 7.2 did.  I figured it was no problem, and I ran the
sndconfig.  Anyway, that didn't work.  sndconfig doesn't detect any
card, and even if i specify all the irq's and stuff, it still says it
doesn't detect a soundcard in any of the pci slots.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated, if anyone knows what they're talking about.  So
far, 7.1 is working very smoothly on my machine, with the exception of
the sound.

Please help me to get sound to work on redhat linux 7.1

Post by Dances With Crow » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:26:28

On 31 Mar 2002 15:11:49 -0800, Brian Kirby staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> So, I installed 7.1, and that was MUCH faster on my machine.  The
> problem was, however, that it didn't detect my soundcard, like 7.2
> did.  I figured it was no problem, and I ran the sndconfig.  Anyway,
> that didn't work.  sndconfig doesn't detect any card, and even if i
> specify all the irq's and stuff, it still says it doesn't detect a
> soundcard in any of the pci slots.

Well, nothing will detect a soundcard in any PCI slot, since the
Soundblaster 16 you mentioned is an ISA card.  ISA cards are getting
rare these days, so it's not surprising that the thing wasn't detected.
You might also want to turn "PnP OS" or "Quick Boot" in your BIOS to
"NO".  ISA PnP is just a total PITA, so avoid it if at all possible.

Instead of using sndconfig, try just manually loading the module, like
so:

modprobe sound
modprobe uart401   (may not be encessary)
modprobe sb irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1 dma16=5

Those values are what ISA soundblaster cards are almost always set to.
Try them, if they don't work, the acceptable values for dma are 0,1,3
while the acceptable values for dma16 are 5,6,7.  The IRQ and I/O values
rarely change, because so many old DOS games relied on finding the card
at irq 5 and I/O 0x220.

Quote:> Any help would be greatly appreciated, if anyone knows what they're
> talking about.

Such confidence.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. Need help getting Linksys Wireless Ethernet to work with RedHat 7.1

Hi there,

I'm having a devil of a time trying to get my Linksys WPC11 wireless
ethernet card to work on my laptop.

I have a laptop running RedHat 7.1, with kernel 2.4.2. I'd rather not have
to compile the kernel, since I'm a bit new at the Linux game and wary of
over-complicating life. When I boot my machine with the standard RedHat
laptop configuration, I get a message that says "wavelan_cs can't recognize
card vendor". All the other pcmcia functions are fine, and it's definitely
recognizing that a card is in the slot (provides power to it and detects the
card name).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this to work?

Thanks in advance!

2. What is the size of Linux 2.4.1 Kernel

3. Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

4. xinit: can't load library 'libXmu.so.6' ???

5. Getting sound (OPL3SA2) to work on SuSE 7.1

6. RPC Quo Vadis? (SunOS <-> Solaris)

7. Getting telnet, ftp, & exceed working in Redhat 7.1

8. what's the difference between pr_common with

9. LDAP trouble with RedHat 7.1, please help

10. Installing gnotepad+ on Redhat 7.1: Please help

11. Help me get active FTP to work in Red Hat 7.1 as a gatway machine please

12. Cox@HOME and RedHat 7.1 - Please help

13. Please help! Installing Proxim Symphony on Redhat 7.1