PCI EIDE drives, PCI SCSI drives, controllers

Post by Andrew Miles » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>     I am looking to purchase a new Pentium computer that will run with
> the current Linux kernel. I wanted to use the PCI bus in particular and
> leave anything dealing with ISA alone. I was hoping that someone could
> tell me what type of hard disk and controllers work best with Linux. I
> would hate to purchase the computer and then find out certain parts are
> not compatible.

I'd go SCSI, no question. In fact, I did :)

-- Andrew E. Mileski --

Dark Matter Technologies Inc. - Ottawa Ontario, Canada!

Post by Peter Herweij » Thu, 02 Nov 1995 04:00:00

 >    I am looking to purchase a new Pentium computer that will run with
 >the current Linux kernel. I wanted to use the PCI bus in particular and
 >leave anything dealing with ISA alone. I was hoping that someone could
 >tell me what type of hard disk and controllers work best with Linux.

If you don't want to lay out for SCSI, getting an Intel Triton based
board buys you the best "EIDE" controller the PC market currently has to
offer. The busmastering capabilities of these boards are supported in
Linux, at least for harddisks, and make CPU usage just as low as that of
any SCSI setup. I suggest Asus.

As far as general compatibility questions are concerned, you should
check out the hardware HOWTO. Any Linux site archives these things.

 - Peter

Post by max.strobe » Wed, 08 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hello,
>    I am looking to purchase a new Pentium computer that will run with
>the current Linux kernel. I wanted to use the PCI bus in particular and
>leave anything dealing with ISA alone. I was hoping that someone could
>tell me what type of hard disk and controllers work best with Linux. I

I just upgraded to a GA586AT/P mainboard with a 53c810 scsi controller. The
controller is cheap and works fine, the mainboard BIOS supports it.

I had an Adaptec 2842VL before and it worked fine - there's just this
occasional hang problem with the 2842 and 2942.

I threw out all the AT bus disks, because SCSI supports more devices and is not
much more expensive.

Max Strobel

1. PCI EIDE drives, PCI SCSI drives, controllers

No doubt about it.  Go Triton (chipset).

I recommend the ASUS Triton boards with p-burst cache.

The onboard IDE interface (part of Triton) is extremely well done,
and with a Quantum FireBall 1080A drive (or two..), it will outperform
far more costly solutions in all respects.  Damn cheap, too!
--

For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide
For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]

2. Sound card help

3. Jaz Drive, Jaz Jet PCI Host Adapter, SCO UNix 5.0.4, PCI/SCSI

4. Sol 2.4 <---> Sol 2.4 using serial link ?

5. Buslogic 946C SCSI-2 32 Bit PCI Hard Drive Controller

6. Using templates with g++

7. External Jaz Drive and PCI SCSI controller

8. A kind soul with NS 3.1?

9. Adding a SCSI controller changing boot drive to SCSI drive

10. Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI controller; AMD 79C970 PCI ethernet card

11. PCI bus mastering slot and EIDE drives

12. SCSI Boot disk won't see PCI SCSI drive

13. : PCI IDE Hard-drive Controller is supported ?