Getting MS Exchange mail under Linux

Post by Tom Schlarma » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

Our company just got swallowed by a bigger fish. They use MS Exchange Server
for e-mail (I set up Linux for us and it's been running flawlessly for the
past 3 years). Unfortunately, the "IS Dept" (and I use that term very
loosely based on my interactions with them so far) of our new parent company
refuses (or doesn't know how) to turn on POP3/SMTP support in Exchange (or
maybe they can't, I dunno. Did MSE support POP3 earlier than v5.5?).

(BTW--I find it mildly ironic that they claim to be an internet minded
company, but they don't have POP3 support in e-mail and don't even have an
internal DNS setup for a company of about 3500 people worldwide, but that's
a whole other story... <grin>).

Anyway, they want us to all switch to Outlook 9x for our desktop e-mail
clients and would like us to connect to their e-mail server directly from
our desktop. However, if our link to them goes down, we lose internal e-mail
(a bad thing). So I was hoping...

Does anyone know of a Linux program (I'm running the 2.0.36 kernel) that
pulls mail from an Exchange Server mailbox (I.e. become/simulate an exchange
client app)? I'm not sure if their version of Exchange supports IMAP, in
which case I could use fetchmail. A command line program would be perfect,
so it could be scripted.  That way, I could pull the e-mail from the
Exchange Server down to the Linux box and distribute it locally for my
users. Even if it only pulled e-mail for a single user it would be OK.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanx

Tom

Getting MS Exchange mail under Linux

Post by tjev.. » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Install the Exchange internet connector, they have a pop connector also,
you'll lose some minor functionality (calendar stuff) but mail should be
no problem.

Quote:> for e-mail (I set up Linux for us and it's been running flawlessly for the
> past 3 years). Unfortunately, the "IS Dept" (and I use that term very
> loosely based on my interactions with them so far) of our new parent company
> refuses (or doesn't know how) to turn on POP3/SMTP support in Exchange (or
> maybe they can't, I dunno. Did MSE support POP3 earlier than v5.5?).

I think V5.0 supports both, but definitely SMTP.

Sounds like your new IS dept full of non-administrators types, you know the
ones who can't do anything unless they can use the mouse. You have my deepest
sympathy.

I would install your own Exchange server, install the connectors you want,
and have them connect to you. That way you can control your side...
Tom

Getting MS Exchange mail under Linux

Post by Mark A Robert » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

AFAIK the Exchange protocol is Mirosoft proprietary. The normal way to
read mail from an Exchange server is to enable POP/IMAP on the server.
If your IS department won't do that then I do not know of a program
which can read Exchange mail.

If you should find any different please let me know.

Regards
Mark Roberts

> Does anyone know of a Linux program (I'm running the 2.0.36 kernel) that
> pulls mail from an Exchange Server mailbox (I.e. become/simulate an exchange
> client app)? I'm not sure if their version of Exchange supports IMAP, in
> which case I could use fetchmail. A command line program would be perfect,
> so it could be scripted.  That way, I could pull the e-mail from the
> Exchange Server down to the Linux box and distribute it locally for my
> users. Even if it only pulled e-mail for a single user it would be OK.

> Any help would be appreciated...

> Thanx

> Tom

Getting MS Exchange mail under Linux

Post by jerzy Kaltenber » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Howdy.
I know of no linux program which might serve as a outlook-like client for
exchange services. pop3 and Imap have been available as standard protocols in
exchange since the 1-st release.  There might be many reasons why the is/it
dept. refuses to use pop3 as protocol of choice( the most important being that
authentication info is sent in clear text)
you might  talk the exchange admin into exporting your mail by  adding  custom
recipients for each addres in your address pool ( a custom recipient is an
object which  has  attributes similar to that of a mail box, but you can specify
an external smtp addy  for it) asuming  he knows how.(notice I am assuming this
exchange server does  support smtp and has the 25 port unblocked, it is possible
to  configure an exchange server which uses directory replication only to  get
mail from a gateway).
so, the server has a custom recipient objct. called  t.schlarman  which has an

exported by exchange,  it can recieve mail and  because its smtp is external
the server should know where to forward mail.
if you want the address book you might resort to weboutlook - this assumes  asp
is installed and active on the exchange server.
good luck,
J.K

> Does anyone know of a Linux program (I'm running the 2.0.36 kernel) that
> pulls mail from an Exchange Server mailbox (I.e. become/simulate an exchange
> client app)? I'm not sure if their version of Exchange supports IMAP, in
> which case I could use fetchmail. A command line program would be perfect,
> so it could be scripted.  That way, I could pull the e-mail from the
> Exchange Server down to the Linux box and distribute it locally for my
> users. Even if it only pulled e-mail for a single user it would be OK.

> Any help would be appreciated...

> Thanx

> Tom

Getting MS Exchange mail under Linux

Post by Brian Ha » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

At work I use xfmail to pull IMAP mail from the Exchange server. I send via
SMTP to a Unix machine, the Exchange server won't accept SMTP or POP, only
IMAP (configured that way, I suppose). If you need to unpack ms-tnef
attachments, look for something called tnef.c, which can unpack them.

--
Brian Hall
Linux Consultant

UFO's are real: the Air Force doesn't exist.

Getting MS Exchange mail under Linux

Post by Greg Leblan » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have and sometimes still do use IMAP for my exchange based email, but
it doesn't let me to calendaring (schedule meetings, etc), so have
VMWARE running NT with Outlook2K.  Kludgy, but until the gnome-mailer
project gets something useable out, I'm stuck with it.  :)
    Greg

> At work I use xfmail to pull IMAP mail from the Exchange server. I
send via
> SMTP to a Unix machine, the Exchange server won't accept SMTP or POP,
only
> IMAP (configured that way, I suppose). If you need to unpack ms-tnef
> attachments, look for something called tnef.c, which can unpack them.

> >Howdy.
> >I know of no linux program which might serve as a outlook-like client
for
> >exchange services. pop3 and Imap have been available as standard
protocols in
> >exchange since the 1-st release.  There might be many reasons why the
is/it
> >dept. refuses to use pop3 as protocol of choice( the most important
being that
> >authentication info is sent in clear text)
> >you might  talk the exchange admin into exporting your mail by
adding  custom
> >recipients for each addres in your address pool ( a custom recipient
is an
> >object which  has  attributes similar to that of a mail box, but you
can specify
> >an external smtp addy  for it) asuming  he knows how.(notice I am
assuming this
> >exchange server does  support smtp and has the 25 port unblocked, it
is possible
> >to  configure an exchange server which uses directory replication
only to  get
> >mail from a gateway).
> >so, the server has a custom recipient objct. called  t.schlarman
which has an

ady book
> >exported by exchange,  it can recieve mail and  because its smtp is
external
> >the server should know where to forward mail.
> >if you want the address book you might resort to weboutlook - this
assumes  asp
> >is installed and active on the exchange server.
> >good luck,
> >J.K

> >> Does anyone know of a Linux program (I'm running the 2.0.36 kernel)
that
> >> pulls mail from an Exchange Server mailbox (I.e. become/simulate an
exchange
> >> client app)? I'm not sure if their version of Exchange supports
IMAP, in
> >> which case I could use fetchmail. A command line program would be
perfect,
> >> so it could be scripted.  That way, I could pull the e-mail from
the
> >> Exchange Server down to the Linux box and distribute it locally for
my
> >> users. Even if it only pulled e-mail for a single user it would be
OK.

> >> Any help would be appreciated...

> >> Thanx

> >> Tom

> --
> Brian Hall
> Linux Consultant

> UFO's are real: the Air Force doesn't exist.

--
It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

Before you buy.

Post by Grant Edwar » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>At work I use xfmail to pull IMAP mail from the Exchange server. I send via
>SMTP to a Unix machine, the Exchange server won't accept SMTP or POP, only
>IMAP (configured that way, I suppose).

Huh?  IMAP doesn't have any mechanism for sendmail mail, and
(AFAIK) MS hasn't added such an extension in their IMAP server.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have seen these
                                  at               EGG EXTENDERS in my

Getting MS Exchange mail under Linux

Post by Steve Weis » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth looking into JetSpeed
from the Java-Apache project. It's apparently web-based and requires a
servlet engine. From the website:

Quote:> JetSpeed is an Open Source implementation of an open protocol GroupWare product. The
> market is currently occupied with various Enterprise GroupWare packages (Lotus Notes,
> Microsoft Exchange, etc) but none are Free or Open Source. The backend (search engines,
> news, weather, POP3/IMAP/LDAP/NNTP, database) will be based on other open source
> packages. JetSpeed will be the front-end. This will allow the user to mix and match
> best-of-bread products under one user interface.

-S
--
"If you watch TV news, you know less about the world than if you just
drank

1. Getting MS Exchange Mail on Linux?

   At work, I'm a Linux island in a sea of Microsoft. Currently, I
deal with MS Mail (our existing office mail system) by running a DOS
version of MS Mail in DosEmu (works great!). However, we're
"upgrading" to Windows 95, and MS Exchange.
   Is there a way to either run some version of MS Exchange in Linux
(either a DOS version in DosEmu, or...?) I don't see Wine as being
stable enough yet - is it? Or is there a Linux mail system (Freeware
or commercial) that "understands" MS Exchange?
   As always, any help would be greatly appreciated!

    "Ethernet(n): Device used to catch the etherbunny"

2. FIlesystem lost

3. Getting Mail from MS Exchange Server

4. Radeon VE & X problems

5. HELP: MS Exchange getting mail from Qmail and dialup ISDN.

6. sockets, IPX tunneling and frame conversion

7. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

8. 3C905C

9. Unix Mail & MS Exchange Mail

10. reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux

11. Forwarding Linux mail to MS SMTP/Exchange server

12. Any linux/open-source mail clients that grok MS-exchange?

13. reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux