Downloading Linux Kernel

Post by Steve Vertig » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'd like to start maintaining my own system rather than relying on vendor
upgrades so I'm wondering if someone can point me to a url where I can get
the latest kernel sources and also information on libraries that you need.
For instance would I be able to move my slakware 3.4 system to a glibc based
one?

Thanks,
--Steve

Downloading Linux Kernel

Post by (Cybiades) Peter » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I'd like to start maintaining my own system rather than relying on vendor
> upgrades so I'm wondering if someone can point me to a url where I can get
> the latest kernel sources and also information on libraries that you need.
> For instance would I be able to move my slakware 3.4 system to a glibc based
> one?

> Thanks,
> --Steve

http://www.kernel.org or http://www.linuxhq.com The latter has better
explanatory notes re: what's need's to be upgraded with each kernel
release.
'Later
Peter
--
Cybiades: Computing For Fun
http://www.ticnet.com/azenomei/fels/fels.html

Downloading Linux Kernel

Post by Glenn Butche » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

ftp.kernel.org  -  the "mother" of all sources.

> I'd like to start maintaining my own system rather than relying on vendor
> upgrades so I'm wondering if someone can point me to a url where I can get
> the latest kernel sources and also information on libraries that you need.
> For instance would I be able to move my slakware 3.4 system to a glibc based
> one?

> Thanks,
> --Steve

Downloading Linux Kernel

Post by Chris Bro » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> ftp.kernel.org  -  the "mother" of all sources.

And if you can't login to kernel.org because there's too many users, try:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/kernel

--
"it's your problem to learn to live with destroy us, or make us saints we
don't care, it's not our fault that we were born too late a screaming

Downloading Linux Kernel

Post by Allin Cottrel » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I'd like to start maintaining my own system rather than relying on vendor
> upgrades so I'm wondering if someone can point me to a url where I can get
> the latest kernel sources and also information on libraries that you need.
> For instance would I be able to move my slakware 3.4 system to a glibc based
> one?

ftp://ftp.kernel.org  Read the "Changes" file that comes in the
Documentation subdirectory of the kernel source for the system
requirements.  Yes, you can move from Slackware 3.4 to glibc (I did
it) but expect to have to do some work.  Study the glibc2 HOWTO
carefully.  You may also want to look at Daniel Barlow's lucid
Linux-ELF HOWTO.  It concerns the transition from aout to ELF
binary formats and libraries which took place a few years ago,
but many of the same issues arise.  Another resource is the
glibc-linux mailing list:
http://www.ecn.wfu.edu/glibc-linux-archive

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

1. proposal: feed smaller mailing lists into linux-kernel, add linux-kernel-core and linux-kernel-bugs

Hello Dave,

In light of some of the earlier comments in the various threads, I'd like to
start feeding postings from linux-mm and linux-aio back into linux-kernel
to encourage more widespread distribution of highly specific mumblings to the
community at large.  Along this lines, I also would like a couple of more
specific mailing lists to be added: linux-kernel-core and linux-kernel-bugs
to help readers in classifying the traffic.  Thoughts?

                -ben
--
Fish.
-

2. Windowmanager

3. Problem with 2.4.18 kernel downloaded from kernel.org

4. Q: Disk, Solid State... Linux Compatible?

5. More than 1.5 million Linux downloads on Download.com

6. initial ramdisk + devfs

7. where to download current linux kernel for Suse.

8. How to Enable NTP Client on AIX?

9. md5 checksums for 4/2001 companion cd download [was Re: Problems downloading Companion CD]

10. Did I download the right stuff and did it download right???

11. How to download Netscape, without using the download script ?

12. Resuming HTTP Downloads with a Download Manager?