How can I install a zip drive in Redhat 6.1, and change lilo default boot?

How can I install a zip drive in Redhat 6.1, and change lilo default boot?

Post by usfishe » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have a NEC Zip drive, which is supported win95/98/NT. my linux system
detect it, it might be installed as well. But I don't known how to operate
it in the terminal. What should the directry of zip drive be? Please help
me? and how can I change lilo's default boot from linux to window 98?
Thank you very much!!!!

How can I install a zip drive in Redhat 6.1, and change lilo default boot?

Post by Dances With Cro » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 23:30:08 GMT, usfisher

Quote:>I have a NEC Zip drive, which is supported win95/98/NT. my linux system
>detect it, it might be installed as well. But I don't known how to operate
>it in the terminal. What should the directry of zip drive be?

Read your manual.  The answers to this common problem are in there.
# mkdir /mnt/zip
(insert MS-DOS formatted ZIP disk into drive)
# mount -t vfat /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip
(replace "hdd" with the drive designation for IOMEGA ZIP you find in
/var/log/boot.msg)
(access files under /mnt/zip)
# umount /mnt/zip

"man fstab" and read the manual to find out how to let users other than
root do this.

Quote:>and how can I change lilo's default boot from linux to window 98?

In /etc/lilo.conf, insert the following line before the first image= line,
then re-run LILO:
default=dos
replacing "dos" with whatever you called the Lose98 partition.

Go to http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO and look around, it'll spare you a lot of
pain.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

Post by David M. Co » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>I have a NEC Zip drive, which is supported win95/98/NT. my linux system
>detect it

Find out what device it is by looking in /var/log/dmesg.  Suppose it's
/dev/hdd.  Then add a line to /etc/fstab like

/dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip vfat noauto,user 0 0

You'll also have to make the /mnt/zip directory:

mkdir /mnt/zip

You can then mount/unmount with

mount /mnt/zip
umount /mnt/zip

GNOME and KDE also allow you to put an icon on the desktop for this.

Dave Cook