i have win95 bootable and want to install RedHat. where to put LILO?

i have win95 bootable and want to install RedHat. where to put LILO?

Post by Neil Ricke » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>/dev/hda1 i assume will be for win95 (the only running and bootable partition
>on my hd since i have not yet installed linux)
>i assume /dev/hda2  and /dev/hda3 will be my linux and swap file partition.
>i am not sure if i need to put LILO on /dev/hda1 (since that is what is
>currently booting)  or /dev/hda2 (my future linux partition).

No, don't put LILO on '/dev/hda1' (your Win95 partition).  To do so
would wipe out that partition.  Put it on '/dev/hda2' (your linux
root partition).  Then (after installing linux) use fdisk to make the
linux partition the active partition.

Post by Paul Konin » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> i am not sure if i need to put LILO on /dev/hda1 (since that is what is
> currently booting)  or /dev/hda2 (my future linux partition).

> *or*  does LILO have to be on a partition by itself?  and made bootable?  i
> didn't think i'd need to save space after making a swap file.  perhaps i do.

I wouldn't put LILO in any partition.  Put it in the MBR instead, and
tell it about both the DOS/Windows partition and the Linux partition.
Then you can use LILO at boot time to select between the two.  Works
great.  RTFM for sure, it helps to be careful with this stuff, but it
is straightforward and reliable if you use care.

        paul

Post by Sean Ahe » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>>/dev/hda1 i assume will be for win95 (the only running and bootable partition
>>on my hd since i have not yet installed linux)

>>i assume /dev/hda2  and /dev/hda3 will be my linux and swap file partition.

>>i am not sure if i need to put LILO on /dev/hda1 (since that is what is
>>currently booting)  or /dev/hda2 (my future linux partition).

>No, don't put LILO on '/dev/hda1' (your Win95 partition).  To do so
>would wipe out that partition.  Put it on '/dev/hda2' (your linux
>root partition).  Then (after installing linux) use fdisk to make the
>linux partition the active partition.

   Huh?  LILO don't go *on* a partition, it goes on the Master Boot
Record, and effectively selects which partition to boot from.  It only
doesnt go on the first MBR if you're using an OS (like NT or OS/2)
which requires its own boot program to be on the first MBR.

 Ref: page 124 'Running Linux'.

        Sean

.

Post by Pat Thoyt » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> >>/dev/hda1 i assume will be for win95 (the only running and bootable partition
> >>on my hd since i have not yet installed linux)

> >>i assume /dev/hda2  and /dev/hda3 will be my linux and swap file partition.

> >>i am not sure if i need to put LILO on /dev/hda1 (since that is what is

 > >>currently booting)  or /dev/hda2 (my future linux partition).
 > >
 > >No, don't put LILO on '/dev/hda1' (your Win95 partition).  To do so
 > >would wipe out that partition.  Put it on '/dev/hda2' (your linux
 > >root partition).  Then (after installing linux) use fdisk to make the
 > >linux partition the active partition.
 > >
 >    Huh?  LILO don't go *on* a partition, it goes on the Master Boot
 > Record, and effectively selects which partition to boot from.  It only
 > doesnt go on the first MBR if you're using an OS (like NT or OS/2)
 > which requires its own boot program to be on the first MBR.
 >
 >  Ref: page 124 'Running Linux'.

That's bollocks :o)

LILO is a boot sector that can function as a partition sector (Master
Boot Record) if necessary. Hence if you use lilo -b /dev/hda you will
install LILO in the MBR and can select which partition will get booted

If you use lilo -b /dev/hda2 then LILO will only be run if the second
partition is active, and then you can select which operating system
to boot.

You can also install LILO on the MBR and still boot OS/2 which gives you
the _option_ of using their own boot selector program. If you use OS/2
boot manager - you can use it to select lilo partitions, or you can
install an os2 option in lilo and use lilo to boot OS/2 instead.

I don't know about your reference - but if that's accurate - I'd read
another one -- maybe the LILO User Guide!

--
Pat Thoyts                                Remove anti-spam to reply.
PGP Key at http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/1661/resume.html

Post by Lance Pag » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> >>/dev/hda1 i assume will be for win95 (the only running and bootable partition
> >>on my hd since i have not yet installed linux)

> >>i assume /dev/hda2  and /dev/hda3 will be my linux and swap file partition.

> >>i am not sure if i need to put LILO on /dev/hda1 (since that is what is
> >>currently booting)  or /dev/hda2 (my future linux partition).

> >No, don't put LILO on '/dev/hda1' (your Win95 partition).  To do so
> >would wipe out that partition.  Put it on '/dev/hda2' (your linux
> >root partition).  Then (after installing linux) use fdisk to make the
> >linux partition the active partition.

>    Huh?  LILO don't go *on* a partition, it goes on the Master Boot
> Record, and effectively selects which partition to boot from.  It only
> doesnt go on the first MBR if you're using an OS (like NT or OS/2)
> which requires its own boot program to be on the first MBR.

>  Ref: page 124 'Running Linux'.

>        Sean

installing to the MBR is best.  It's easy, too. If you've already installed, then
do "lilo -u" and then (right away) use the QuickInst script in the lilo package.
(You can find it with the help of rpm; see the RHL installation book for rpm
hints.)  In the script, specify
      /dev/hda
as the location for lilo;  this tells it to use hda's MBR.
(Of course, if you're installing all over again, then just select the MBR in the
install program.)

The installation can be quick & simple (even for novices), but I think a brief
explanation about the MBR in the installation book would be in order!

Lance Page

i have win95 bootable and want to install RedHat. where to put LILO?

Post by Michael Woodham » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

[...]

> > >No, don't put LILO on '/dev/hda1' (your Win95 partition).  To do so
> > >would wipe out that partition.  Put it on '/dev/hda2' (your linux
> > >root partition).  Then (after installing linux) use fdisk to make the
> > >linux partition the active partition.

> >    Huh?  LILO don't go *on* a partition, it goes on the Master Boot
> > Record, and effectively selects which partition to boot from.  It only
> > doesnt go on the first MBR if you're using an OS (like NT or OS/2)
> > which requires its own boot program to be on the first MBR.
[...]

> installing to the MBR is best.  It's easy, too. If you've already installed, then

I think putting LILO on /dev/hda2 is better, both conceptually and for
safety
and ease of mind. It means everything Linux related is living on
a Linux partition. Mostly, when I am setting up Linux I like to have the
warm
fuzzy feeling that in the worst case scenario I can still simply boot
off a
DOS floppy and use fdisk to reset the bootable partition and still have
a computer
that boots. (Considering what it boots into, perhaps that should be a
"warm squishy
feeling".) If you ever want to sell your computer to an Infidel,
removing Linux
is very easy. (DOS can restore the MBR, but I don't off hand remember
how.)
If your MS-weenie brother in law is coming to house-sit for 2 weeks, a
few seconds
with fdisk means he will never be baffled by the LILO prompt, and a few
seconds
suffice to reverse the change when you return.

Also, should you ever add NT or OS/2 to your system it might be easier
if LILO
doesn't get overwritten. (Not having tried this, I'm uncertain if this
is so.)

Basically, some OSes are sufficiently anti-social that they claim the
MBR.
There is no reason for Linux to be rude to. Don't mess with the MBR if
you
don't have to.

However, the answer to the original posters question is: LILO can go
either on MBR (/dev/hda) or /dev/hda2. It makes no difference to normal
operation
which option you use.

Michael W.

i have win95 bootable and want to install RedHat. where to put LILO?

Post by LEFEBVRE Cedri » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I think Michael's answer is a good one.

For my part I use a multi-boot program that's called System Commander
which allows me to boot either one Windoze, NT, OS2, Linux or anything
needed.
In fact you can do that much more beautiful with the multiboot of NT.

But for all that multiboots, the answers about the partition on which to
put lilo is not the same.
NT -> hda1 or NT'partition
Syscom -> hda2 (linux part)

So choose yur OS !

1. Installing lilo when active bootable partition is win95 FAT32?

Hi, friends.

I've just changed from Win95 to Win95 "B" on my active bootable
partition.

When I install RedHat 4.0 on a secondary partition, it chokes on the
lilo part of the install.

Is this because lilo can write  a boot record for a partition type
that it doesn't know?  (i.e. FAT32?)  Or, is it because Win95 "B" does
something nasty to the boot record?

I didn't have this problem with lilo on RedHat 4.0 when I was running
Win95 with VFAT, so I'm kind of at a loss.

Any suggestions, comments appreciated; please copy via e-mail to

Thanks! :)

2. autoindent about vim

3. NT4.0+Win95+DOS/Win3.11+Redhat+Linux- all bootable

4. Internal Modem - Help

5. Nixon, put the Nix on the REVOLUTION, raygun, Reagan, wanted to put ray sky

6. Pentiums and GCC

7. Win95 user having problems installing Linux

8. seq_file_howto updated (v1)

9. Newbie wanting to get into FreeBSD having trouble installing...

10. Can LILO be installed on secondary ide bootable drive?

11. How to put Lilo 18 & 19 on old (lilo 17) system?

12. How to put RH6.2 on end of 27gb HD, install new lilo?

13. creating a bootable redhat install CD