win95 overwrote lilo--help

Post by Bob van der Poe » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

I had to update my win95 partition and did a reinstall of windows. It
very nicely boots (if windows can every be nice), but it also put a new
boot sector on the disk overwriting the one lilo put there a long time
ago....

So, I booted linux from a floppy. No problems.

Then I did a /sbin/lilo and it appeared to update things. But I still no
boot from the HD.

So, i figured that maybe the boot.b info needed to be updated..so I
deleted the boot.b file. Now lilo reports that it can't find boot.b.
Ummm, guess that wasn't the smart thing to do.

So, what do I do to reinstall lilo once it has been installed. I've read
the docs 6 times and sideways but can't seem to find a "startup" flag.
Am I stupid or are there just too many options?

--
   __
  /  )      /         Bob van der Poel

/___/_(_) /_)         http://www2.awinc.com/users/bvdpoel

win95 overwrote lilo--help

Post by Klaus G Wagn » Sun, 11 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I had to update my win95 partition and did a reinstall of windows.

[ ... ]

Quote:>Then I did a /sbin/lilo and it appeared to update things. But I still no
>boot from the HD.
>So, i figured that maybe the boot.b info needed to be updated..so I
>deleted the boot.b file. Now lilo reports that it can't find boot.b.
>Ummm, guess that wasn't the smart thing to do.

No.  /boot/boot.b  contains the 'heart' of LILO: its startup code.
Just make a backup of your  /etc/lilo.conf  -- to be on the safe side --
and reinstall the LILO _package_ to get back  /boot/boot.b  (or,
if you know how, reinstall  boot.b  alone).

Quote:>So, what do I do to reinstall lilo once it has been installed.

Check LILO's configuration file,  /etc/lilo.conf . Maybe it is obsolete
for some reason?
If you can't figure it out for yourself, you need to tell us about
your partition layout and your  lilo.conf .

>--
>   __
>  /  )      /         Bob van der Poel

>/___/_(_) /_)         http://www2.awinc.com/users/bvdpoel

        Good Luck!
                        Klaus

--

  PGP (1024/D7A16B1D) = 42 5B CD ED EC E7 8F 50 C0 B0 14 1E 3B 9F DC 08

"Linux was made by foreign terrorists to take money from true
US companies like Microsoft." -- Some AOL'er.

1. LILO - WIN95 - ?? MBR overwritten & no boot disk

I re-installed WIN95 and my LILO MBR was lost.
I have no linux boot disk, but I have the original
slackware distribution media. What can I do???
Its about two years since I installed linux and I've
forgotten the specifics of how it was installed.

2. lpd+firewall

3. lilo setup overwrote win95 boot record

4. xdr routine for bitfields?

5. lilo: how to overwrite Win95 MBR ?

6. ZOOM Dual Mode (V90)

7. WIN95 overwrites my LILO loader on MBR

8. help

9. MBR on notebook got overwritten by lilo. Help!

10. Help! LILO overwrote my master boot record

11. HELP ! WIN98 overwrote my Lilo in MBR

12. HELP!! LILO Overwritten Master Boot Record!

13. LILO with two Win95 copies of Win95...