tar error: cannot open /dev/nst0

Post by Valerie C. Bo » Sat, 26 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi.  I'm running into a brick wall.  I have some tar.gz files.
I got them gunzipped, but when I try to tar -x them, I get

cannot open /dev/nst0...device not installed

I've wandered over to /dev.  There is indeed a /nst0.  What do I
need to do install it?

Valerie

tar error: cannot open /dev/nst0

Post by J|rgen Elgaard Lars » Sat, 26 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi.  I'm running into a brick wall.  I have some tar.gz files.
>I got them gunzipped, but when I try to tar -x them, I get
>cannot open /dev/nst0...device not installed
>I've wandered over to /dev.  There is indeed a /nst0.  What do I
>need to do install it?

You don't need to install it. The thing is: tar was originalli designed to be
used for tape back-ups. By default, therefore, it assumes that you want to
extract files from your tabe back-up device ( /dev/nst0 ). Since you don't,
you have to tell tar to extract files on you file system instead. Try
tar -xf a_file_you_want_to_untar.tar

Actually, you don't need to gunzip the files first. You could just

tar -xzf a_file_you_want_to_extract.tar.gz
      ^
      ^
The z option makes tar filter the file through gzip/gunzip
You might want to use the v (verify) option for tar too...

BTW: Another useful command is
man tar
- but don't worry, 99% of all unix/linux users ran into the same problem once..

Good luck!

Quote:>Valerie

--

An ordinary student at University of Copenhagen, mostly harmless     >>-o o-->
Visit my homepage at 'http://www.diku.dk/students/marvin/'               U

Post by Uwe Bonn » Sat, 26 Aug 1995 04:00:00

:
: Hi.  I'm running into a brick wall.  I have some tar.gz files.
: I got them gunzipped, but when I try to tar -x them, I get
:
: cannot open /dev/nst0...device not installed
:
: I've wandered over to /dev.  There is indeed a /nst0.  What do I
: need to do install it?
Where do you have them, on tape or on file?
I think you have them as file. Try "tar ftzv <your-tar-file>.tar.gz" and if
that suits you the same with fxz.

Post by Ted Coa » Sun, 27 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi.  I'm running into a brick wall.  I have some tar.gz files.
>I got them gunzipped, but when I try to tar -x them, I get [..]

  If they're files not on tapes, try 'tar -xf' instead..  8)

Hope this helps..

TC 95
--
Windows. The first fully modular disaster.

Post by sgb.. » Tue, 03 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>:
>: Hi.  I'm running into a brick wall.  I have some tar.gz files.
>: I got them gunzipped, but when I try to tar -x them, I get
>:
>: cannot open /dev/nst0...device not installed
>:
>: I've wandered over to /dev.  There is indeed a /nst0.  What do I
>: need to do install it?
>Where do you have them, on tape or on file?
>I think you have them as file. Try "tar ftzv <your-tar-file>.tar.gz" and if
>that suits you the same with fxz.

I had the same error... this fixes it:

make -f the last letter.  It expects a file name after f.  Like

tar -tzvf tarfile.tar.gz

I believe that will do it.

----- Stephan Beal

http://www.he.net~sgbeal

: >:
: >: I've wandered over to /dev.  There is indeed a /nst0.  What do I
: >: need to do install it?
: >Where do you have them, on tape or on file?
: >I think you have them as file. Try "tar ftzv <your-tar-file>.tar.gz" and if
: >that suits you the same with fxz.

: I had the same error... this fixes it:

: make -f the last letter.  It expects a file name after f.  Like

: tar -tzvf tarfile.tar.gz

: I believe that will do it.

Not to critize but you all need to get the fundamentals straight here.
Tar, by default, looks for a tape device (/dev/nst0) but more often that
not, you need to expand a tar archive on a file.  This is done in the
following way:
tar xf filename.tar   OR
tar zxf filename.tar.gz  if the TAR is gzipped and you are using GNU TAR.
The x is for extract, the f is for file and the z is for gzipped.  You
can add other features such at exchanging the x for a c (create) like this:
tar zcf filename.tgz /home
This will make a gzipped TAR archive of your /home directory structure.
By using t (test) instead of x or c, you can test a TAR archive.  BTW,
you can find out all of this info in the TAR man page.  Any questions?

*Warning-- Linux should not be used by those under the influence of M$.  May
           cause dizziness or vertigo.  Consult your tech support before
           using Linux.  (note--after using Linux, you may notice extreme
           discomfort when using M$.  Discontinue use of M$ and continue
           steady doses of Linux.

-----------
Corby Hudnall

http://ALLISON152.HALLS.ColoState.EDU/UNIX/ for UN*X question/answer files.

tar error: cannot open /dev/nst0

Post by Michael Karafot » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00

No such device as /dev/nst0, it should be /dev/nrst0

If this is an error from tar I'd assume it was compiled incorrectly.

I guess this really isn't your problem, but I'd check it out anyway.

-- Mike

1. /bin/tar: /dev/nst0: Warning: Cannot close: Input/output error

I am using 'tar' to backup files to tape using a SCSI tape drive but something
I got the error message:

    /dev/nst0: Warning: Cannot close: Input/output error

Does anyone know why this happen? Is it the drive problem or the tape problem (corrupted tape)?

I am using RedHat 6.2.

Thanks

david

2. fvwm95 installation.

3. tar: can't open /dev/nst0 : No such device

4. Diamond Stealth Pro and XFree3.1

5. Help: tar can't open /dev/nst0

6. See if you can explain this...

7. Cannot open output "/dev/nst0" problem

8. How do I access a Windows NT shared printer?

9. Help please: SCSI tape (/dev/nst0) I/O errors with tar

10. Closing /dev/st0 return EIO error, /dev/nst0 not

11. /dev/nst0 and tar

12. tar on /dev/nst0 : how much bytes did I write ?

13. tar responds cannot open /dev/rmt8