Amiga announces Linux kernel is new Amiga kernal - Opinions?

Amiga announces Linux kernel is new Amiga kernal - Opinions?

Post by wseg.. » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Today it was announced that the Linux kernal will be used in the new Amigas.

Any opinions on this development?

Wade Segade

Post by Donald E. Stidwel » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Today it was announced that the Linux kernal will be used in the new Amigas.

> Any opinions on this development?

> Wade Segade

Where did you see this announcement? Man, I loved my Amiga - used an Amiga for
over 7 years. If they put Linux on it, I'd go back to an Amiga in a heartbeat.

Don

Post by Stephen Antho » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>> Today it was announced that the Linux kernal will be used in the new Amigas.

>> Any opinions on this development?

>> Wade Segade

>Where did you see this announcement? Man, I loved my Amiga - used an Amiga for
>over 7 years. If they put Linux on it, I'd go back to an Amiga in a heartbeat.
>Don

Try "http://www.amiga.com/diary/executive/linux-e.html"

Steve

Amiga announces Linux kernel is new Amiga kernal - Opinions?

Quote:>> Today it was announced that the Linux kernal will be used in the new Amigas.

Post by Christopher Brow » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>> Today it was announced that the Linux kernal will be used in the new Amigas.

>> Any opinions on this development?

>> Wade Segade

>Where did you see this announcement? Man, I loved my Amiga - used an Amiga for
>over 7 years. If they put Linux on it, I'd go back to an Amiga in a heartbeat.

There are mixed reports; dunno which of these two are the "most
authoritative."

<http://www.qnx.com/amiga/> Delivering on Our Promise to the Amiga
Community

<http://www.amiga.com/diary/executive/linux-e.html> Amiga Executive
Update - Amiga to use Linux
--
Rules of the Evil Warlord #23. "When I employ people as advisors, I
will occasionally listen to their advice."

Post by Stefan Ehl » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>>> Today it was announced that the Linux kernal will be used in the new Amigas.

>>> Any opinions on this development?

>>> Wade Segade

>>Where did you see this announcement? Man, I loved my Amiga - used an Amiga for
>>over 7 years. If they put Linux on it, I'd go back to an Amiga in a heartbeat.

> There are mixed reports; dunno which of these two are the "most
> authoritative."

> <http://www.qnx.com/amiga/> Delivering on Our Promise to the Amiga
> Community

> <http://www.amiga.com/diary/executive/linux-e.html> Amiga Executive
> Update - Amiga to use Linux

It's the second one:

<begin quote>

I am pressed to communicate the Linux decision before the technology brief
because of information released by QNX in the last few days. This
information had not been reviewed or approved for release by Amiga.

<end quote>

CU
Stefan

Amiga announces Linux kernel is new Amiga kernal - Opinions?

Post by wseg.. » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>No, its both now.  Too bad for QNX, couldn've been their 15 minutes of
>glory.

>--
>William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
>Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\
>                                                ~  ()>()

Originally QNX was the choice, but with all the momentum that linux has and
after speaking with Sony, Corel, Linus Torvalds and many others,  Amiga decided
to use the Linux kernal.  QNX must have been angry at being left in the lurch
and posted what seems to have been pre-emptive mis-information forcing Amiga to
reveal their choice of Linux earlier than they wanted.  QNX appears to want to
continue their work and are looking for support from those who are not happy
with the Linux decision.

I doubt they will make inroads with their OS on the new Amiga, but it would be
nice to see what they could offer as (yet) another alternative OS for Intel
hardware.

for more info check these out:

http://www.amiga.com/diary/executive/linux-e.html
and
http://www.amiga.com/diary/executive/990710-e.html

Wade Segade

Post by Dave » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: Where did you see this announcement? Man, I loved my Amiga - used an Amiga for
: over 7 years. If they put Linux on it, I'd go back to an Amiga in a heartbeat.

 There is linux M68K. Most of the gnu tools have also been ported to
AmigaDos.

--
Dave.-- The email address above does work :)

"Bill Gates is a white Persian cat and a monocle away
from becoming another James Bond villain."
"No Mr Bond, I expect you to upgrade." --Dennis Miller

Amiga announces Linux kernel is new Amiga kernal - Opinions?

Post by glen_lidd.. » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >Where did you see this announcement? Man, I loved my Amiga - used an
Amiga for
> >over 7 years. If they put Linux on it, I'd go back to an Amiga in a
heartbeat.

> There are mixed reports; dunno which of these two are the "most
> authoritative."

> <http://www.qnx.com/amiga/> Delivering on Our Promise to the Amiga
> Community

> <http://www.amiga.com/diary/executive/linux-e.html> Amiga Executive
> Update - Amiga to use Linux
> --

I Guess the AMIGA press release is the most authoritative on the plans
of AMIGA ;)
Apparently Amiga switched from QNX to LINUX at the recommendation of The
Linus Tordsvald (hopefully I spelt his surname correctly).
QNX are going to release their version of the new Amiga OS anyway

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Amiga announces Linux kernel is new Amiga kernal - Opinions?

Post by Dave » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: Today it was announced that the Linux kernal will be used in the new Amigas.

: Any opinions on this development?

 If AmigaInc is using the Linux kernel. Does that mean there modified kernel
will also be under the GPL?

 If so, what would they be selling? A new windows manager or support like
RedHat?

--
Dave.-- The email address above does work :)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged
demo. -Fortune of the Day.

Post by Christopher Brow » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>: Today it was announced that the Linux kernal will be used in the new Amigas.

>: Any opinions on this development?

> If AmigaInc is using the Linux kernel. Does that mean there modified kernel
>will also be under the GPL?

> If so, what would they be selling? A new windows manager or support like
>RedHat?

They could, and reasonably likely would, replace everything from init on
down.

(This is not an unreasonable idea, after all, they previously were
workin with QNX, and thus working with a pretty minimal embedded OS.)

It would be to their benefit to *allow* one to drop Linux libraries and
programs on top, as that would allow those that wish to use Linux
software on this system to do so.

XFree86 may be one of the things they were interested in having access
to; it allows them to provide support for a "bunch" of graphics cards
without having to recode support from scratch.

(Alternatively, if they're planning to sell their own hardware, their
plans might look more like "we'll write a framebuffer manager for this
one chipset," thus mandating a specific set of hardware, as well as that
a rewrite would be needed in a year when a new chipset comes out...)
--
"MS Windows is the computer equivalent of burger chains and bowling
lanes. It is software that "works" only if you lower your expectations

Post by John Kenda » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>: Where did you see this announcement? Man, I loved my Amiga - used an Amiga for
>: over 7 years. If they put Linux on it, I'd go back to an Amiga in a heartbeat.

> There is linux M68K. Most of the gnu tools have also been ported to
>AmigaDos.

This is the *new* kernel for the *new* Amiga, not for the M68K or PPC
accelerated existing ones. The chipset it'll be using hasn't been announced
(chosen?) yet. They're supposed to be appearing at the end of this year.

--
SuSE Linux - Where do you want to go tomorrow?