Need help - SLIP/DIP with Slackware Linux setup

Post by Alan Edmon » Wed, 02 Feb 1994 00:04:25

>I'm in need of getting help with configuring my system to work with my NETCOM SLIP
>account.  I have a Slackware 1.1.0 Linux system, using a .99p14d kernel, running
>at home with a 2nd modem (Pract. Periph. Mini-Tower 14.4k fax/modem) for testing.

>Here are my current questions:

>1) My current hostname is 'shyguy'.  It seems that the requirement for Linux's
>   hostname command requires full hostname/domain being specified --
>   "shyguy.lonestar.org" now.  My SLIP account has my machine using
>   "bmyers.slip.netcom.com" -- do I need to have NETCOM change my system name back
>   to the "shyguy.lonestar.org", or is there another option available to me?

You now have two hostnames; I would probably use the netcom name for your
hostname.  Make sure smail recognizes both hostnames as the local
machine; mail loop otherwise. You can always change your hostname based
upon whether your have the slip link up or not.  Sounds like fun, no?

Quote:>2) My gateway machine is in a differnet subnet than what's been assigned to me.  Do
>   I use the "real" ip address for the gateway machine, or should I use the "fake"
>   address (which is in my subnet) for configuring my SLIP/DIP software?
>   Example:  my ip is in the 192.187.*.* subnet, while the gateway machine's ip
>   is in the 163.179.* subnet.  A fake address of 192.187.*.* for the gateway
>   was also supplied to me.  should I use the fake or real gateway address in the
>   configuration files on my machine?

Your SLIP link has an address for both ends.  Use the 192.187.*.*
addresses for each end of your link. When specifying the route address
use the fake ip address for the default gateway specification.  If you
use the 163.179. address in your configuration you should get a lot
of network and host unreachable errors.

Quote:>3) PLIP -- during the 'make config' process for rebuilding the kernel, I specified
>   that I didn't want PLIP in.  However, I'm still seeing messages about PLIP
>   being in, and that it's using IRQ7 and IRQ2.  Is there something I forgot to
>   edit?  In the ../drivers/net area, the CONFIG file has a line for PLIP that
>   has nothing after the '='; does this line need to come completly out?

Unsure about this.

Quote:>4) Does it matter that the nameservers also are on a different subnet?
>   My machine is on the 192.187.*.* subnet, while the nameservers are on
>   the 192.100.*.* subnet.

Nope.  As long as your specify a route to the subnet things will work
fine.  You can either rely on the default route of specify a specific
route to the nameserver.
--
Alan Edmonds, KB5ZUY                             Texas Instruments, Inc.
I don't speak for TI; TI doesn't speak for me    M/S 8515

Post by Bob Mye » Tue, 01 Feb 1994 22:14:01

[...]

1. Need help - Slackware 1.1.0 & SLIP/DIP

I'm trying to get my Slackware 1.1.0 Linux distribution (with .99p14d kernel)
working with DIP 3.3.4 -- I'm wanting to get my NETCOM SLIP access going.

Seems that I may be hitting into a few snags:

1) my hostname is 'shyguy' for my machine.  the current implementation of
   the HOSTNAME file wants the full address of the machine, which is different
   that what i'm currently using.
   i.e.  'shyguy.lonestar.org' (which everything is geared for'
            v.s.
        'bmyers.slip.netcom.com'

   Do I just need to get NETCOM to change my domain name to match the former?

2) Anyone know anything about using a different subnet for local access instead
   of the subnet you were given for your ip address?  In this situation,
   my subnet is 192.187.230.* , while my local connection is 163.179.23.* for
   it's subnet.  I've been given a 'fake' address to use for the gateway machine
   (in my subnet tree) -- should I use the fake one instead of the real one?

3) I've already recompiled my kernel (.99p14d), and after telling the config
   script that I don't want PLIP, find that PLIP is tied into IRQ7 and IRQ2.  Is
   there something else that I need to edit/modify to get PLIP out all together?

So far, I can ping the machine that I'm using for the slip server, but that's it.
I can't telnet or ftp yet.  I've modified my /etc/networks file, resolv.conf, hosts
and a few others that the NET-2 HOWTO (posted in the newsgroups last week), but
still am having some problems.

If anyone can give some insight, I'd appreciate it.  Tomorrow, I'll post my versions
of the associated files that NET-2 code is using...

-bob

2. scsi disk timeout/reset loop with 2.2.14

3. SLIP-DIP setup help needed

4. Linux TCPIP with a (buggy?) print server card. (kernel TCPIP question)

5. Help with SLIP server setup in Linux using DIP

6. AP X25

7. SLIP and DIP not working after reinstall of Slackware 1.2(SLIP)

8. Matching newline/linefeed with egrep

9. linux newbie needs help with dip and dynamic slip

10. Linux help needed-Slip,dip,netcom shell,tia specific

11. HELP: setup dip/SLIP

12. SLIP and DIP only reaches slip server, help!

13. Need help with DIP in dynamic slip env.