ktalkd buggy in KDE 1.1.2

Post by Bogdan Bucicovsch » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I installed Slackware beta that comes with libc6 and KDE 1.1.2
The ktalk daemon stopped working.
To make it start, I have to start a talk session by root from my box to
any of the
users. Otherwise I cannot use ktalkd.
I use it with ktalk (the interface far talk).
I have the lines
talk   dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/opt/kde/bin/kotalkd
ntalk  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/opt/kde/bin/ktalkd
in my /etc/inetd.conf
so I don't understand what might be wrong.
I can't even start a talk with another person on another machine.

Sometimes I get the error "Daemon not existent on your machine" (or
something like this) when I want
to start a ktalk session with some other user on another machine.

I had no problems with KDE 1.1.1.
Bogdan

1. MS Office 2000 is buggy, buggy, buggy

My day today with MS Office 2000:

I'm a programmer and was asked to prepare documentations and a presentation,
something no programmer really likes. Well, I swore and thought, lets just
slap something together quickly with Word and Powerpoint... I was mistaken.

The g**m Word crashed on me five times. Each time, after restarting Word
again, I could not open the file I was working on previously. Word
complained: "File locked by <me>".

After a while, I found out that I actually have to

1) kill the (window-less) process WINWORD.EXE and
2) delete all hidden files starting with '~'

before I could go on and open the file again. Being a programmer, I wrote
myself a tool to do this automatically.

"Ease of use"? Yeah right, I can just see all the secretaries just opening
the taskmanager and killing processes...

Poor, poor, poor quality. Amazing what they get away with.

More issues:
- The graphical component (vector graphics) inside MS Word and Powerpoint is
a Joke. No, really. The behaviour is often illogical and unpredictable. It
also caused two of my five crashes. Scaling groups of objects does not work
properly. And so on. Pure pain - I wish I had Visio installed or some other
*professional* Graphics tool.
- Importing data from Word to powerpoint is error prone, to say the least.
Tables get scr*ed up.

As a bottomline, this will be the last presentation I prepared using MS
Office.

2. Writing cardbus drivers

3. KDE 3.1 and Shift-Ins

4. AHA152X and WANGTEK

5. Buggy 3C574, or buggy administrator?

6. Forcing NFS umount

7. KDE is SLOW and BUGGY!!!!

8. Sendmail

9. KDE is buggy?

10. ktalk/ktalkd wont work

11. ktalkd

12. Where is kde.debian.net or kde.tdyc.com/pub/kde ?

13. why does kde sometimes install to /opt/kde, and sometimes to /usr/local/kde?