WAV Sound File Player

Post by Young4er » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 23:37:25

Hi,

Does anyone know of a simple wav sound file player, preferably a command
line one?  I need to use this program to play some wav files when certain
events occur.

TIA.

WAV Sound File Player

Post by Martin Bretschneide » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 02:59:45

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:37:25 +0100 Young4ert was able to write:

Quote:> Hi,

> Does anyone know of a simple wav sound file player, preferably a command line
> one?  I need to use this program to play some wav files when certain events
> occur.

play
--
      Where prejudice exists it always discolors our thoughts.
(o_         When in doubt tell the truth.     Mark Twain       (o|

WAV Sound File Player

Post by webto » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:49:41

> Hi,

> Does anyone know of a simple wav sound file player, preferably a command
> line one?  I need to use this program to play some wav files when certain
> events occur.

> TIA.

sox will play wav files and is a very powerful command line player. it
can play many files apart from wav as well.

N.B. im assuming that these are RAW wav files and that they don't have
compression applied on them. i think sox can manage ADPCM encoded wavs
but not other types. wavs that have been compressed with mpeg
compression can be read with mp123 ( i have some like this that were
created with cool edit in windows. in windows they play fine but linux
programs realise that they are weird).

Alex

--
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."
        --Scottish Proverb

WAV Sound File Player

Post by Young4er » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 04:25:21

Thanks for the infor.  However, how do you use sox to play a raw wav file?
For instance, I created a simple/raw wav file, called test.wav.  When I
tried to play the "test.wav" file using sox, I got the following error
messages:

        ~ sox test.wav
        sox: Usage: [ gopts ] [ fopts ] ifile [ fopts ] ofile [ effect [ effopts ]
]
        Failed at: No output file?

>> Hi,

>> Does anyone know of a simple wav sound file player, preferably a command
>> line one?  I need to use this program to play some wav files when certain
>> events occur.

>> TIA.

> sox will play wav files and is a very powerful command line player. it
> can play many files apart from wav as well.

> N.B. im assuming that these are RAW wav files and that they don't have
> compression applied on them. i think sox can manage ADPCM encoded wavs
> but not other types. wavs that have been compressed with mpeg
> compression can be read with mp123 ( i have some like this that were
> created with cool edit in windows. in windows they play fine but linux
> programs realise that they are weird).

> Alex

> --
> "Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."
> --Scottish Proverb

WAV Sound File Player

Post by Stephen Ran » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 05:55:36

> Thanks for the infor.  However, how do you use sox to play a raw wav
> file?  For instance, I created a simple/raw wav file, called test.wav.
> When I tried to play the "test.wav" file using sox, I got the
> following error messages:

>         ~ sox test.wav
>         sox: Usage: [ gopts ] [ fopts ] ifile [ fopts ] ofile [ effect
> [ effopts ] ]
>         Failed at: No output file?

Try `play foo.wav', or have a look at the man page.

HTH,

Stephen

--
1004561668

WAV Sound File Player

Post by Young4er » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 23:45:34

>> Thanks for the infor.  However, how do you use sox to play a raw wav
>> file?  For instance, I created a simple/raw wav file, called test.wav.
>> When I tried to play the "test.wav" file using sox, I got the
>> following error messages:

>>         ~ sox test.wav
>>         sox: Usage: [ gopts ] [ fopts ] ifile [ fopts ] ofile [ effect
>> [ effopts ] ]
>>         Failed at: No output file?

> Try `play foo.wav', or have a look at the man page.

> HTH,

> Stephen

Thanks!  It works... :)

Quote:> --
> 1004561668

1. Sound player for .wav, .voc, etc.?

Is there a good Linux audio player which can deal with .wav, .voc,
etc. files?  These abound under OS/2, DOS, and Windows, but I haven't
located one for Linux.  I want such a player to use with Mosaic.

Thanks,

--Golden
--
Golden G. Richard III                Asst. Professor, Dept. of Computer Science

72634,1272 (Compuserve)              Lakefront Campus, New Orleans, LA  70148
"I'm your huckleberry..."            Office: 504-286-6626 or 504-286-6594 (CS)

2. where is fortune ?

3. modules not automatically loaded + only have sound for WAV file (sound problem)

4. READ THE WEB-SITE THAT THE KIKES TRY TO CENSOR

5. WAV file player?

6. pap

7. Player for .wav files

8. Monitor Flickering on 7044-170 running aix 4.3.3

9. *.wav sounds files

10. How to play ADPCM .wav sound files under Linux?

11. Sound utility to play wav files slower??

12. WAV sound files

13. Sounds (Especially .wav files)