RH6.1 and /etc/cron.daily question

Post by NDQ » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I use RH6.1. In directory /etc/cron.daily I see a lot of script for
daily executing.
But my daily cron job now runs at 10:00 AM !
I would like to redefine the executing time at 1:00AM, how to do that ?

Thanks in advance,
--
Nguyn-Dai Quy

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

: I use RH6.1. In directory /etc/cron.daily I see a lot of script for
: daily executing.
: But my daily cron job now runs at 10:00 AM !
: I would like to redefine the executing time at 1:00AM, how to do that ?

It really depends how the jobs in cron.daily are run. Only a redhat 6.1
owner can investigate that. But look at /etc/crontab and see if you can
figure it out from there. I would expect to see something that removes
a blocking file in a related place, or maybe something that explicitly
runs the jobs in cron.daily.

Peter

RH6.1 and /etc/cron.daily question

Post by NDQ » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> : I use RH6.1. In directory /etc/cron.daily I see a lot of script for
> : daily executing.
> : But my daily cron job now runs at 10:00 AM !
> : I would like to redefine the executing time at 1:00AM, how to do that ?

> It really depends how the jobs in cron.daily are run. Only a redhat 6.1
> owner can investigate that. But look at /etc/crontab and see if you can
> figure it out from there.

In this file I have :

02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily

But this job was executed at 10:OO AM ??? :-(

I'm not understand :-)
Q.

Post by Andreas Kaha » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>> : I use RH6.1. In directory /etc/cron.daily I see a lot of script for
>> : daily executing.
>> : But my daily cron job now runs at 10:00 AM !
>> : I would like to redefine the executing time at 1:00AM, how to do that ?

>> It really depends how the jobs in cron.daily are run. Only a redhat 6.1
>> owner can investigate that. But look at /etc/crontab and see if you can
>> figure it out from there.

>In this file I have :

>02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily

>But this job was executed at 10:OO AM ??? :-(

>I'm not understand :-)
>Q.

If you are also running anacron (a random anacron URL is
<URL:http://lwn.net/lwn/980226/a/anacron.html>), then the daily
scripts will probably be started as soon as your computer is booted
(or, as in my case, 5 mins after). Anacron will affect the time when
the daily/weekly/monthly scripts are executed depending on when you
booted your computer.

/A

--
# Andreas K?h?ri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>
# -----------------------------------------------------------

RH6.1 and /etc/cron.daily question

Post by NDQ » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> >In this file I have :

> >02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily

> >But this job was executed at 10:OO AM ??? :-(

> >I'm not understand :-)
> >Q.

> If you are also running anacron (a random anacron URL is
> <URL:http://lwn.net/lwn/980226/a/anacron.html>), then the daily
> scripts will probably be started as soon as your computer is booted
> (or, as in my case, 5 mins after). Anacron will affect the time when
> the daily/weekly/monthly scripts are executed depending on when you
> booted your computer.

No, I'm not use this programme because my PC works 24/24 & 7/7 (server).

Q.

RH6.1 and /etc/cron.daily question

Post by Mail and News lis » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Show a part of your /etc/crontab Basically you have to do
0 1 * * *       <command> <arguments>
see
man cron
Also you can use
crontab -e
to edit and place your cronjobs (you do need to know how to set up cronjobs for that) if the jobs are done by users. System cronjobs are defined in /etc/crontab

--
/*****************************************************************.

# 4/2 Arobindo Avenue,     #  URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com        #
# Durgapur, India 713204   #  Tel: +91-343-563571                 #
`*****************************************************************/

RH6.1 and /etc/cron.daily question

Post by NDQ » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Show a part of your /etc/crontab Basically you have to do
> 0 1 * * *       <command> <arguments>
> see
> man cron
> Also you can use
> crontab -e
> to edit and place your cronjobs (you do need to know how to set up cronjobs for that) if the jobs are done by users. System cronjobs are defined in /etc/crontab

Thank you very much :-)

Q.

1. overlapping /etc/cron.daily & /etc/cron.weekly

hello all,

I intend to run a very lengthy process in /etc/cron.daily/* and there is
a good chance that it will overlapp with /etc/cron.weekly/*; as I
understand this overlap should be avoided so I'd like to find a way to
run /etc/cron.weekly/* right after /etc/cron.daily/* finishes;

to my knowledge the best way is to comment out the 3 lines from
/etc/crontab and run the following script instead:

        run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily

        if [ $(date +%w) == 0 ]; then
                run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly
        fi

        if [ $(date +%d) == 01 ]; then
                run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly
        fi

but I really don't like the idea of messing with the system crontab..

what do you think?
will it break something else?
is there a widely accepted way to do this?

TIA!

--

2. DIP cslip server setup help needed

3. Cron <root@host> run-parts /etc/cron.daily

4. LSI-Logic MPT/Fusion SCSI timeout on request

5. Postinstallation - Cron <root@main> run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily

6. Linux and ISDN

7. Cron <root@cxXXXXX-a> run-parts /etc/cron.daily

8. Lin or Lin thats the Q .

9. What's this: Cron <root@hindustan> run-parts /etc/cron.daily

10. /etc/cron.daily/tripwire-check

11. Cron <root@host> run-parts /etc/cron.weekly

12. anacron runs daily at 4am (cron is not starting it, WHAT IS?)

13. cron.daily