On-line rescanning of SCSI devices

Post by Erik Cor » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 09:29:10

: >
: > Is it possible to rescan the devices connected to the SCSI bus while run-time?
: > This question is interesting if (like in my case) the LINUX-PC is operating
: > as server and e.g. a backup tape or an additional disk will be connected
: > to the external SCSI bus.
: >
: Don't do that. Playing with the bus while it's under power is rather
: dangerous, and even more so when there's traffic on the bus.

: People have lost SCSI interface chips because of this.

I do this every week with a wide variety of systems, and have never had
any trouble. In any case it is possible to make a ribbon cable with
SCSI plugs pressed onto it at regular intervals. With this you can add
or remove a SCSI device without leaving it unterminated at any time. It
might well be advisable to switch off the device you are attaching or
removing.

--

1. On-line rescanning of SCSI devices

Is it possible to rescan the devices connected to the SCSI bus while run-time?

This question is interesting if (like in my case) the LINUX-PC is operating
as server and e.g. a backup tape or an additional disk will be connected
to the external SCSI bus.

Currently the only choice is to reboot the PC.

If there is currently no other solution, is it planned to support 'dynamic
SCSI device rescanning' (didn't found a better name!) in the future
(either manual or automatic) ?

(I saw this feature at Sparc-Workstations (automatic).
 It may be a risk to open the terminated SCSI bus for a moment, but I think
 if it takes just some seconds and you do previously manual 'sync's it's ok)

2. HELP -- NEED SCO UNIX HELP DESK APPLICATION

3. JobConnectEurope & The Contractor's Club Now On-Line, Thousands of IT Jobs On-Line..

4. Setting apps under X

5. SCSI bus rescan for new devices ?

6. how to access the Floppy

7. rescanning the SCSI bus to initialize new devices

8. TLAN message on Compaq

9. How to rescan scsi devices ?

10. On-line/Off-line long-term power backup

11. SCSI bus continuously being rescanned at SCSI detect stage

12. Gnome not seeing CD drives anymore (rescan devices)

13. Rescan SCSi-Bus