umounting big FileSystem

Post by Francesc Guasc » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi. I got a big filesystem with 29 Gigs.

I don't shut it down many times but when I do,
when it restarts the fs usually are broken and I
have to reboot with a floppy and do a manual e2fsck.

It even says when it shutdowns that it can't
umount a fs because it is busy.

It's an old slackware that has been upgrading. Now
it's got kernel-2.2.2.

When it shutdowns it does this:

  if [ ! "`mount | head -1 | cut -d ' ' -f 5`" = "umsdos" ]; then
    umount -a -tnonfs
    umount -a -tnonfs
    echo "Remounting root filesystem read-only."
    mount -n -o remount,ro /
  else
    umount -a -tnonfs -tnoumsdos
    umount -a -tnonfs -tnoumsdos
  fi

I doubled the umounts but keeps doing it.
It's a pain because it takes hours to reboot.

1. reducing filesystem minfree on big filesystems

Does anyone have any opinions on the suggestion that it is safe to
reduce minfree to 5% on large (>1Gb) filesystems without any
performance degradation. This is based on the supposition that the
original BSD filesystem design was based on large filesystems of about
400-500Mb & that with modern disks of >1Gb maintaining the 10% free is
overcautious.

Barrie
--
Barrie Spence                   Sanity Clause? There is no Sanity Clause

2. boot problem -- update

3. shutting down a server without umounting NFS filesystems

4. Connecting to the Internet via a USB broadband modem

5. HELP: can't umount filesystem on shutdown!

6. how to switch from SuSE gui to commandline linux

7. open_namei() braindamage Re: NODEV filesystem, multiple mounts and umount...

8. No listeners in OAS for Linux

9. forcing umount of NFS mounted filesystem

10. umounting a busy filesystem

11. I can't umount a NFS filesystem

12. Can't umount a NFS filesystem

13. Unable to umount XFS filesystems