running fvwm on Red Hat 5.0

Post by Quitty Wilso » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi.
> I am running Red Hat 5.0 Linux 2.0.32 on an i586

> I have a .fvwmrc file which I would like to use.
> I have xdm startup automatically.
> Where do I put it and how do I get xdm to give me fvwm instead of say
> fvwm2.
> I have noticed some files like /etc/X11/fvwm/fvwmrc.system
> but the main problem is I can't get fvwm to come up.

> Thanks a lot.

> Regards,

> Neil Zanella

XDM looks for the file .Xsession in your home dir.
check to see if you have .xinitrc if so cp .xinitrc .Xsession

edit this file at the bottom look for the line that startx fvwm and
change it to the WM you want to use.

If you dont have .xinitrc issue the command  (From your home dir)

cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.fvwm .Xsession

edit to your liking

running fvwm on Red Hat 5.0

Post by Allin Cottrel » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi.
> I am running Red Hat 5.0 Linux 2.0.32 on an i586

> I have a .fvwmrc file which I would like to use.
> I have xdm startup automatically.
> Where do I put it and how do I get xdm to give me fvwm instead of say
> fvwm2.

Not certain about RH, but in a Slackware setup the window
manager that gets used is set in /var/X11R6/lib/xinit/xinitrc.
You'd edit that file to change the default manager.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

1. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

Hello everybody - what a beautiful day it is! Let's not get to funked
up, and get yourself a nice little pink flower to put in a orange vase.
Then grab yourself a slice and sit down and enjoy yourself. It can be
done in lot's of different ways -- just go ahead and do it under the
green sun.

Well... Nevermind.

I'm planning to buy Red Hat 5.1 official to replace my Red Hat 5.0 with.
But before I do that I wonder if there are any disadvantages, hazards or
such with RH 5.1, compared to RH 5.0. Is the installation as safe (don't
forget LILO), and things such as X, sound-support, printers and ppp -
are they still well supported, and not buggy or so?

Thanks in advance,

/Henrik

By the way, don't let the opening of this letter make you think that I'm
not serious enough.

2. LCP problem

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. XF86Config Help!!!

5. ProSignia VS: NCR 53c710 : Red Hat 5.0 : Is ANYBODY running this?

6. Missing requisites for Java 1.3 on AIX 4.3.3

7. My K6 266 Doesn't Want to Run Red Hat 5.0

8. Mounting CD-ROM Drive ...

9. How I run programs binary of SCO UNIX in my LINUX RED-HAT 5.0

10. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

11. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

12. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

13. The Red Hats are coming, the Red Hats are coming