Power Down on "Halt" doesn't happen

Post by Kaushi » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 09:15:29

I cannot get my laptop to power down when I do a "Halt" or a shutdown. I
am running Red Hat 7.0

I had this problem out of the box in 5.2 and then not in 6.1. Does
anyone know what the fix for this is/

regards,
Kaushik

Post by Robert Lync » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 09:58:01

> I cannot get my laptop to power down when I do a "Halt" or a shutdown. I
> am running Red Hat 7.0

> I had this problem out of the box in 5.2 and then not in 6.1. Does
> anyone know what the fix for this is/

> regards,
> Kaushik

I also found this problem with RedHat 7.0.  I think the "halt"
script has a problem, my fix to /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt is:
===
HALTARGS="-i -d"
if [ -f /poweroff -o ! -f /halt ]; then
 HALTARGS="$HALTARGS -p"
fi

# try to fix flakey poweroff
#eval $command $HALTARGS
eval $command -i -d -p
===
This was found by trial and error, I'm not sure exactly what it
fixes.

HTH. Bob L.