Why wu-ftpd and smbd so slow?

Post by Geiger H » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:34:02

Hi,

  I've installed RedHat 7.1 in my office. Every morning, I go back to
work, I find that the response of the wu-ftpd is slow and even my
connection times out. Worst still, smbd doesn't give response to any
requests. They seem sleeping! The telnet deamon is ok, but a little bit
slow. However, when I reboot the system, smbd wakes up but wu-ftpd is
still so slow.

  I've comment out the "log_on_failure" in "telnet" and "wu-ftpd" in
/etc/xinetd.d/ but seems in vain.

  What's wrong with my linux box? Or how can I stop it from sleeping?
Thanks.

Regards,
Geiger

Why wu-ftpd and smbd so slow?

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:09:02

Quote:> Hi,

>   I've installed RedHat 7.1 in my office. Every morning, I go back to
> work, I find that the response of the wu-ftpd is slow and even my
> connection times out. Worst still, smbd doesn't give response to any
> requests. They seem sleeping! The telnet deamon is ok, but a little bit
> slow. However, when I reboot the system, smbd wakes up but wu-ftpd is
> still so slow.

>   I've comment out the "log_on_failure" in "telnet" and "wu-ftpd" in
> /etc/xinetd.d/ but seems in vain.

>   What's wrong with my linux box? Or how can I stop it from sleeping?
> Thanks.

> Regards,
> Geiger

Either get DNS running on your network or fill out /etc/hosts on the Linux
box.  Reverse DNS lookup is failing.

Why wu-ftpd and smbd so slow?

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:42:05

Quote:> requests. They seem sleeping! The telnet deamon is ok, but a little bit
> slow. However, when I reboot the system, smbd wakes up but wu-ftpd is
> still so slow.

>   I've comment out the "log_on_failure" in "telnet" and "wu-ftpd" in
> /etc/xinetd.d/ but seems in vain.

I think commenting out the "log_on_failure" string simply tells xinetd
to use its default log mode (I may be wrong on this - but your case
seems to imply this).  Besides, disabling failed log on messages will
make your life hard in case your system gets pummelled by brute-force
attacks.

There are two reasons that this pause occurs - both of which are
frequently asked questions.  During the authentication phase of an
xinetd service, it does use the "log_on_failure" string to determine
what it should put in the log.

log_on_failure
+= USERID

USERID relies on the remote machine to be running the RPC identd daemon
- this is unsupported in Windows, and many machines have it turned off
by default to protect privacy (of user accounts).  If there is no such
daemon enabled on the remote machine, the RPC call must first timeout
(hence the long pause) before the service can continue.

The best method to correct this is to eliminate "USERID" and replace it
with "HOSTID" so you at least derive the IP address of the machine.
Once this is done, restart the xinetd service to activate your changes.

If it still takes a long time to authenticate, it's a host name resolve
issue in which case the IP address reverse-name lookup is taking a long
time.   You can correct this by adding IP addresses to your /etc/hosts
file (usually, name resolving comes from this first) or add a DNS server
to your box and assign names to machines on your network.

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 0.12:
-> For NASA, space is still a high priority.
-> - Dan Quayle

1. wu-ftpd start-up is very SLOW

Anyone have an idea why wu-ftpd would respond slowly on startup for a client
session?

I see the "Connected to x.x.x.x" message almost immediately, but there is a
LONG pause (sometimes as much as a minute), before seeing the "Login"
message.  I have used wu-ftpd since RH 5.2, and this pause seems to have
begun about RH 6.1/6.2.

Any ideas on how to shorten this up?  I assume it has something to do with
xinetd starting up the daemon, but I'm not sure.

2. Linux XDoom source code

3. wu-ftpd 2.6 connects slow

4. Loop stuck in -D state

5. wu-ftpd slow on sparc/solaris 2.5?

6. VNC on Redhat 6.2

7. wu-ftpd is slow, how to suppress DNS lookups?

8. Getting files per email from Web Page?

9. wu-ftpd really slow to login.

10. very slow contact making wu-ftpd server

11. Why does wu-ftpd try to do DNS reverse lookup?

12. If wu-ftpd has so many security problems, why is RedHat still using it?

13. why is it always wu-ftpd?