-- VFS: Unable to mount root -- Help!

Post by Lotto Alessandr » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

My computer have:
- 2G
- 32Mb
- AMD 166
- Win95  (1G)
- Linux  RedHat 6.1   (1G)

My computer has 4 partitions:
- /dev/hda1  Win95,  FAT32 (O.S.  partition)
- /dev/hda2   Win95,  FAT32
- /dev/hda3   Linux Native
- /dev/hda4   Linux Swap

I have used from win95 the  utility "esplore2fs"  to view the ext2
filesystem (hda3).
When I tried  to copy a large file (18Mb) from linux in win95 with
explore2fs i had a system crash
due to insufficient space in /dev/hda1  (explore2fs work very well, all this
is my fault)

Then i have used the floppy "rescue" to try to mount /dev/hda3 for check it,
but the mount is impossible!

Now, i can boot in Win95 but I CAN'T RECOVER VERY IMPORTANT DATA (my thesis)
IN THE
LINUX PARTITION ----- I NEED HELP !

*) When i reboot in linux from LILO i have:

partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
RAMDISK: Compressed image found a block 0
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ... autorun DONE
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
autopdetecting RAID arrays
autorun... aurorun DONE
Kernel Panic:  VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

*) When i rebbot whit the floppy "boot" i have:

partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ... autorun DONE
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:05:  rw=0,  want=2,  limit=0
dev 03:05  blksize=1024  blocknr=1  sector=2 size=1024 count=1
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:05:  rw=0,  want=33,  limit=0
dev 03:05  blksize=1024  blocknr=32  sector=64 size=1024 count=1
isofs_read_super:bread failed, dev=03:05, iso_blknum=16, block=32
Kernel Panic:  VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

Lotto Alessandro
Venezia (Italy)

-- VFS: Unable to mount root -- Help!

Post by Eric » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Try booting a linux from a floppy and perform an e2fsck on the
partition.
You can find a good boot/root combi disc on the slackware site.

And just a thought, I don't see why anyone would want ext2 FS access
from windows, put all data you want in both OS's on a vfat partition and
mount that from linux. (this can ofcourse be your C: drive) (OK if you
put data in your $HOME, then you might want to able to access that, but
I never had any need for it)

Eric

> Hi,

> My computer have:
> - 2G
> - 32Mb
> - AMD 166
> - Win95  (1G)
> - Linux  RedHat 6.1   (1G)

> My computer has 4 partitions:
> - /dev/hda1  Win95,  FAT32 (O.S.  partition)
> - /dev/hda2   Win95,  FAT32
> - /dev/hda3   Linux Native
> - /dev/hda4   Linux Swap

> I have used from win95 the  utility "esplore2fs"  to view the ext2
> filesystem (hda3).
> When I tried  to copy a large file (18Mb) from linux in win95 with
> explore2fs i had a system crash
> due to insufficient space in /dev/hda1  (explore2fs work very well, all this
> is my fault)

> Then i have used the floppy "rescue" to try to mount /dev/hda3 for check it,
> but the mount is impossible!

> Now, i can boot in Win95 but I CAN'T RECOVER VERY IMPORTANT DATA (my thesis)
> IN THE
> LINUX PARTITION ----- I NEED HELP !

> *) When i reboot in linux from LILO i have:

> partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found a block 0
> autodetecting RAID arrays
> autorun ... autorun DONE
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
> autopdetecting RAID arrays
> autorun... aurorun DONE
> Kernel Panic:  VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

> *) When i rebbot whit the floppy "boot" i have:

> partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
> autodetecting RAID arrays
> autorun ... autorun DONE
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 03:05:  rw=0,  want=2,  limit=0
> dev 03:05  blksize=1024  blocknr=1  sector=2 size=1024 count=1
> EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 03:05:  rw=0,  want=33,  limit=0
> dev 03:05  blksize=1024  blocknr=32  sector=64 size=1024 count=1
> isofs_read_super:bread failed, dev=03:05, iso_blknum=16, block=32
> Kernel Panic:  VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

> Lotto Alessandro
> Venezia (Italy)

-- VFS: Unable to mount root -- Help!

Post by lostelib.. » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thanck'you for the help.
but.....
I have tried to boot from a floppy boot/root  but the result is:

- e2fsck -c /dev/hda3
  Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda3

- e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda3
  Nothing!

- fdisk -l -u /dev/hda3
 /dev/hda3 doesn't contain a valid partition table

- also the mount of /dev/hda3 result impossible!!

and now?!?..

Lotto Alessandro

> Try booting a linux from a floppy and perform an e2fsck on the
> partition.
> You can find a good boot/root combi disc on the slackware site.

> And just a thought, I don't see why anyone would want ext2 FS access
> from windows, put all data you want in both OS's on a vfat partition
and
> mount that from linux. (this can ofcourse be your C: drive) (OK if you
> put data in your $HOME, then you might want to able to access that,
but
> I never had any need for it)

> Eric

> > Hi,

> > My computer have:
> > - 2G
> > - 32Mb
> > - AMD 166
> > - Win95  (1G)
> > - Linux  RedHat 6.1   (1G)

> > My computer has 4 partitions:
> > - /dev/hda1  Win95,  FAT32 (O.S.  partition)
> > - /dev/hda2   Win95,  FAT32
> > - /dev/hda3   Linux Native
> > - /dev/hda4   Linux Swap

> > I have used from win95 the  utility "esplore2fs"  to view the ext2
> > filesystem (hda3).
> > When I tried  to copy a large file (18Mb) from linux in win95 with
> > explore2fs i had a system crash
> > due to insufficient space in /dev/hda1  (explore2fs work very well,
all this
> > is my fault)

> > Then i have used the floppy "rescue" to try to mount /dev/hda3 for
check it,
> > but the mount is impossible!

> > Now, i can boot in Win95 but I CAN'T RECOVER VERY IMPORTANT DATA (my
thesis)
> > IN THE
> > LINUX PARTITION ----- I NEED HELP !

> > *) When i reboot in linux from LILO i have:

> > partition check:
> > hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
> > RAMDISK: Compressed image found a block 0
> > autodetecting RAID arrays
> > autorun ... autorun DONE
> > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
> > autopdetecting RAID arrays
> > autorun... aurorun DONE
> > Kernel Panic:  VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

> > *) When i rebbot whit the floppy "boot" i have:

> > partition check:
> > hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
> > autodetecting RAID arrays
> > autorun ... autorun DONE
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > 03:05:  rw=0,  want=2,  limit=0
> > dev 03:05  blksize=1024  blocknr=1  sector=2 size=1024 count=1
> > EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > 03:05:  rw=0,  want=33,  limit=0
> > dev 03:05  blksize=1024  blocknr=32  sector=64 size=1024 count=1
> > isofs_read_super:bread failed, dev=03:05, iso_blknum=16, block=32
> > Kernel Panic:  VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

> > Lotto Alessandro
> > Venezia (Italy)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

-- VFS: Unable to mount root -- Help!

Post by Eric » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Thanck'you for the help.
> but.....
> I have tried to boot from a floppy boot/root  but the result is:

> - e2fsck -c /dev/hda3
>   Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda3

> - e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda3
>   Nothing!

there are more superblocks, located at (8192*n)+1 try some more

Quote:

> - fdisk -l -u /dev/hda3
>  /dev/hda3 doesn't contain a valid partition table

 try fdisk -l -u /dev/hda

  fdisk lists the partition table for the whole
disc,                            not just one partition

if the partition table somehow got corrupted, get gpart and try to
restore the table again.

Quote:> - also the mount of /dev/hda3 result impossible!!

> and now?!?..

if all else fails, you can use dd to make a bitwise copy of /dev/hda3
and try to find your thesis from the file you created this way -> this
will be a lot of work!! (use strings to separate the text from the
binary data and start searching. You will lose the make-up most likely,
but at least the text itself may be recoverable this way.

Eric

> Lotto Alessandro

> > Try booting a linux from a floppy and perform an e2fsck on the
> > partition.
> > You can find a good boot/root combi disc on the slackware site.

> > And just a thought, I don't see why anyone would want ext2 FS access
> > from windows, put all data you want in both OS's on a vfat partition
> and
> > mount that from linux. (this can ofcourse be your C: drive) (OK if you
> > put data in your $HOME, then you might want to able to access that,
> but
> > I never had any need for it)

> > Eric

> > > Hi,

> > > My computer have:
> > > - 2G
> > > - 32Mb
> > > - AMD 166
> > > - Win95  (1G)
> > > - Linux  RedHat 6.1   (1G)

> > > My computer has 4 partitions:
> > > - /dev/hda1  Win95,  FAT32 (O.S.  partition)
> > > - /dev/hda2   Win95,  FAT32
> > > - /dev/hda3   Linux Native
> > > - /dev/hda4   Linux Swap

> > > I have used from win95 the  utility "esplore2fs"  to view the ext2
> > > filesystem (hda3).
> > > When I tried  to copy a large file (18Mb) from linux in win95 with
> > > explore2fs i had a system crash
> > > due to insufficient space in /dev/hda1  (explore2fs work very well,
> all this
> > > is my fault)

> > > Then i have used the floppy "rescue" to try to mount /dev/hda3 for
> check it,
> > > but the mount is impossible!

> > > Now, i can boot in Win95 but I CAN'T RECOVER VERY IMPORTANT DATA (my
> thesis)
> > > IN THE
> > > LINUX PARTITION ----- I NEED HELP !

> > > *) When i reboot in linux from LILO i have:

> > > partition check:
> > > hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
> > > RAMDISK: Compressed image found a block 0
> > > autodetecting RAID arrays
> > > autorun ... autorun DONE
> > > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
> > > autopdetecting RAID arrays
> > > autorun... aurorun DONE
> > > Kernel Panic:  VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

> > > *) When i rebbot whit the floppy "boot" i have:

> > > partition check:
> > > hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
> > > autodetecting RAID arrays
> > > autorun ... autorun DONE
> > > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > > 03:05:  rw=0,  want=2,  limit=0
> > > dev 03:05  blksize=1024  blocknr=1  sector=2 size=1024 count=1
> > > EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
> > > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > > 03:05:  rw=0,  want=33,  limit=0
> > > dev 03:05  blksize=1024  blocknr=32  sector=64 size=1024 count=1
> > > isofs_read_super:bread failed, dev=03:05, iso_blknum=16, block=32
> > > Kernel Panic:  VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

> > > Lotto Alessandro
> > > Venezia (Italy)

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Unable to boot Linux from disk (VFS:Unable to mount root)

I had installed RH6.1 on a disk connected to a Promise Ultra/66
controller. Had done so by passing the I/O addresses of ide2 and ide3 at
the LILO boot prompt. Was able to boot until I had to drop one of the PCI
cards from the PC. Now I can only boot from the boot floppy using the I/O
addresses and the kernel recognises the drives on the Ultra/66, but when I
try the same with the installed kernel, I get a VFS: Unable to mount root
message. Any pointers??

2. New to sockets: combating the TIME_WAIT problem

3. Help: Kernel Panic: VFS unable to mount root fs

4. looking for advice for H/W spec

5. HELP: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:41

6. HTML editor wanted

7. Kernel PANIC: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:43 PLEASE HELP!

8. prevent direct linking - mod_rewrite ?

9. Kernel Panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 16:01..???Help???

10. HELP: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:06 (mandrake 7.1)

11. Kernel Panic: VFS : UNable to mount root fs on 08: 08(Help needed)

12. Help: Kernel Panic:VFS: Unable to mount root, after rebuilding kernel

13. Red Hat HELP: Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:21