Kernel not getting past boot (can't open initial console)

Kernel not getting past boot (can't open initial console)

Post by Stephen Anthon » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 00:26:33



Anyone know how to fix this?  As soon as the kernel decompresses, and
searches for hardware, etc, it complains about not being able to find an
initial console.  Then, it tries to run rc.sysinit, but since the
filesystem is read-only at this point, a write to /dev/null fails.  Then
it locks.

I know it's my fault :) I was upgrading some stuff from Mandrake Cooker.  
What could possibly cause the message "Unable to open initial console" to
appear.  I upgraded glibc, and MAKEDEV, among many other things.

Also complains about not being able to dup2() some descriptor, but I
assume that's related to not being able to open a console.

Any info appreciated,
Steve

 
 
 

Kernel not getting past boot (can't open initial console)

Post by Dave Bro » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 04:44:24



> Anyone know how to fix this?  As soon as the kernel decompresses, and
> ...
> I know it's my fault :) I was upgrading some stuff from Mandrake Cooker.  
> What could possibly cause the message "Unable to open initial console" to
> appear.  I upgraded glibc, and MAKEDEV, among many other things.
> ...

If you're quite expert, you can probably fix it.  Others here could
probably fix it as well, but probably not via USENET postings; it would
probably be an iterative process.  

If you're in a hurry, I'd suggest you restore from backup.  If you've
got a lot of data that you haven't backed-up yet, I suggest you boot with
a "rescue" setup, and backup any data not backed-up. Then restore your
system backup (or reinstall).

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

 
 
 

Kernel not getting past boot (can't open initial console)

Post by John Johnso » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:02:50



> Anyone know how to fix this?  As soon as the kernel decompresses, and
> searches for hardware, etc, it complains about not being able to find an
> initial console.  Then, it tries to run rc.sysinit, but since the
> filesystem is read-only at this point, a write to /dev/null fails.  Then
> it locks.

> I know it's my fault :) I was upgrading some stuff from Mandrake Cooker.
> What could possibly cause the message "Unable to open initial console"
> to appear.  I upgraded glibc, and MAKEDEV, among many other things.

> Also complains about not being able to dup2() some descriptor, but I
> assume that's related to not being able to open a console.

> Any info appreciated,
> Steve

Had exactly the same problem *after* upgrading dev to dev-3.3.1. Here's
the excerpt of various emails I sent to mandrake cooker to correct this
problem.

HTH
John
P.S Make sure to upgrade to the latest dev after fixing which corrects
this problem.

Quote:> Upgraded dev to dev-3.3.1 following instructions (option 1) as outlined
> in earlier mandrake cooker email. Now system will not boot and I'm
> getting the dreaded "Unable to open an initial console" message.

> What cerrective actions should I take to get system back online.

1. boot on rescue, mount your root fs. your problem was fixed in -2mdk.

2. chroot /mnt
3. /usr/sbin/mdk_makedev /dev

4. "find /dev|wc -l" should report ~19k files

Quote:> My /dev directory has ~16.8k files in it after executing these commands.
> The system now gets further along in the boot process but now I'm
> getting the following errors:

> setting default font: dup2: bad file descriptor [Failed]
> /etc/rc.sysinit: /dev/null: read-only file system

something has accedded /dev/null at the bad time and create a file instead
of a device.

on the rescue, you can do "find /dev/ | xargs rm -fr" in the chrooted
environment before running mdk_makedev (which don't overwite already
existing entries).

longer explanation:

?????? 1) 1mdk and 2mdk had typos :-(

?????? 2) while updating from <3.3.1-1mdk, there's a 7 seconds race
????????? window, which make possible to have a program that
        write to /dev/null whereas the old one has been delete
        by rpm but the new one isn't yet created, thus
        resulting in a file insead of a special device;
????????then the next process which'll try to access /dev/null
        'll have some problems ....

??????    as /dev/null is one of the rare /dev/ entries one write to,
        and is the device that get 99% of the writes in /dev/, i'll
        put a special case in dev-3.3.1-4mdk, something as:

????????????? while [[ ! -c /lib/root-mirror/dev/null ]]; do
??????????????????? rm -f /lib/root-mirror/dev/null
??????????????????? mknod -m 0666
                /lib/root-mirror/dev/null c 1 3 ???????????????????
                chown root.root /lib/root-mirror/dev/null done
??????
?????? so that we'll be sure to have a valid /dev/null after dev
update

 
 
 

Kernel not getting past boot (can't open initial console)

Post by Stephen Anthon » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 06:01:31




>> Anyone know how to fix this?  As soon as the kernel decompresses, and
>> searches for hardware, etc, it complains about not being able to find
>> an
>> initial console.  Then, it tries to run rc.sysinit, but since the
>> filesystem is read-only at this point, a write to /dev/null fails.
>> Then it locks.

>> I know it's my fault :) I was upgrading some stuff from Mandrake
>> Cooker. What could possibly cause the message "Unable to open initial
>> console"
>> to appear.  I upgraded glibc, and MAKEDEV, among many other things.

>> Also complains about not being able to dup2() some descriptor, but I
>> assume that's related to not being able to open a console.

>> Any info appreciated,
>> Steve

> Had exactly the same problem *after* upgrading dev to dev-3.3.1. Here's
> the excerpt of various emails I sent to mandrake cooker to correct this
> problem.

> HTH
> John
> P.S Make sure to upgrade to the latest dev after fixing which corrects
> this problem.

>> Upgraded dev to dev-3.3.1 following instructions (option 1) as outlined
>> in earlier mandrake cooker email. Now system will not boot and I'm
>> getting the dreaded "Unable to open an initial console" message.

>> What cerrective actions should I take to get system back online.

> 1. boot on rescue, mount your root fs. your problem was fixed in -2mdk.

> 2. chroot /mnt
> 3. /usr/sbin/mdk_makedev /dev

> 4. "find /dev|wc -l" should report ~19k files

>> My /dev directory has ~16.8k files in it after executing these
>> commands. The system now gets further along in the boot process but now
>> I'm getting the following errors:

>> setting default font: dup2: bad file descriptor [Failed]
>> /etc/rc.sysinit: /dev/null: read-only file system

> something has accedded /dev/null at the bad time and create a file
> instead of a device.

> on the rescue, you can do "find /dev/ | xargs rm -fr" in the chrooted
> environment before running mdk_makedev (which don't overwite already
> existing entries).

> longer explanation:

> 1) 1mdk and 2mdk had typos :-(

> 2) while updating from <3.3.1-1mdk, there's a 7 seconds race
> window, which make possible to have a program that
> write to /dev/null whereas the old one has been delete
> by rpm but the new one isn't yet created, thus
> resulting in a file insead of a special device;
> then the next process which'll try to access /dev/null
> 'll have some problems ....

> as /dev/null is one of the rare /dev/ entries one write to,
> and is the device that get 99% of the writes in /dev/, i'll
> put a special case in dev-3.3.1-4mdk, something as:

> while [[ ! -c /lib/root-mirror/dev/null ]]; do
> rm -f /lib/root-mirror/dev/null
> mknod -m 0666
> /lib/root-mirror/dev/null c 1 3
> chown root.root /lib/root-mirror/dev/null done

> so that we'll be sure to have a valid /dev/null after dev
> update

Thanks for the info.  That trick worked great.  In the future, I'll be a
lot more careful about upgrading from Cooker.

Steve

 
 
 

1. Boot Fails at "couldn't open initial console" - any ideas?

Hi,

I just installed DosLinux (with kernel 2.0.30) on a Toshiba Tecra 520CDT with
Windows 95 and FAT16. Doslinux is using the UMSDOS filesystem and booting
with loadlin and the Win95 boot image.

To boot, I reboot in DOS mode (or F8at startup and boot to command prompt,
result is the same) and run the batch file for loadlin and windows 95. The
boot seems to go fine until just about the very end, where it hangs and says
"Couldn't open initial console..."

Does anyone know what this could be? I've installed linux on several machines
and never seen anything like this. Any hints or pointers to help would be
appreicated.

Thanks,
Dave Inskeep

2. Difference between XWindows session and telnet session

3. Boot Error: can't open initial console

4. Adaptec 1515 ?

5. Kernel 2.5.62 "unable to open initial console"

6. HELP: I'm losing my LAN access after starting PPP

7. SRM boot on AS1000A 5/xxx, unable to open an initial console

8. Re : Re: File Access Control

9. "Unable to open an initial console" on boot

10. Boot problems -- Suddenly "unable to open initial console"

11. KERNEL 2.0.36 - Unable to open an initial console

12. can't open initial console

13. error - Unable to open an initial console, doslinux version 31, kernel 2.0.30 elf