How do I format a Linux-formatted hdd?

Post by Kelvin » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:15:11

I installed Redhat 8 on a seperate harddisk, later when i upgraded to LCD,
the LCD
can't display the Linux...
Now I want to disgard the Linux OS and reuse my harddisk in Win-XP, how may
I do it? Does HDD has a reset button or what? How may I reformat it in the
Win-XP
I am currently using?

Thanks.
Kelvin.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:45:37

> I installed Redhat 8 on a seperate harddisk, later when i upgraded to LCD,
> the LCD
> can't display the Linux...
> Now I want to disgard the Linux OS and reuse my harddisk in Win-XP, how may
> I do it? Does HDD has a reset button or what? How may I reformat it in the
> Win-XP

Zero out all boot code and partitioning information.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb bs=32768 count=8k

will write 256MB of zeros to the outer tracks of the drive.

Then go to a Windows NG to find out how to partition and format the drive
for use with Windows.

Post by joseph phili » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:22:33

> I installed Redhat 8 on a seperate harddisk, later when i upgraded to
> LCD, the LCD
> can't display the Linux...
> Now I want to disgard the Linux OS and reuse my harddisk in Win-XP, how
> may I do it? Does HDD has a reset button or what? How may I reformat it
> in the Win-XP
> I am currently using?

> Thanks.
> Kelvin.

WinXP:
Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management . Select Disk Manager.
Select the hdd  and delete  partition(s). You are then free to create
Windows file systems on that disk.

You don't seem to know your way around WinXP well... How on earth did you
manage to install linux ?

-jp

Post by lcoe » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:39:12

>> I installed Redhat 8 on a seperate harddisk, later when i upgraded to
>> LCD, the LCD >> can't display the Linux...
>> Now I want to disgard the Linux OS and reuse my harddisk in Win-XP, how
>> may I do it? Does HDD has a reset button or what? How may I reformat it
>> in the Win-XP >> I am currently using? >> >> Thanks.  >> Kelvin.
> WinXP:
> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management . Select Disk Manager.
> Select the hdd  and delete  partition(s). You are then free to create
> Windows file systems on that disk.
> You don't seem to know your way around WinXP well... How on earth did you
> manage to install linux ? > -jp

sometime folks get lucky and RH installs on their hardware w/o much effort.
getting the system to do something useful is another story, since they still
know nothing about the os or file structure.         --Loren

Post by Ian Northeas » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 04:53:17

> You don't seem to know your way around WinXP well... How on earth did you
> manage to install linux ?

I don't know my way around XP very well. This has never caused me the
slightest difficulty in installing Linux:)

Regards, Ian

Post by bd » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 05:08:07

> I installed Redhat 8 on a seperate harddisk, later when i upgraded to LCD,
> the LCD
> can't display the Linux...
> Now I want to disgard the Linux OS and reuse my harddisk in Win-XP, how may
> I do it? Does HDD has a reset button or what? How may I reformat it in the
> Win-XP
> I am currently using?

Use linux fdisk to delete all the 'Linux' or 'Linux swap' partitions, then
add a windows partition and format it.
--
Freenet distribution not available
   God does not play dice.

         -- Albert Einstein, Datalinks

How do I format a Linux-formatted hdd?

Post by Robert Helle » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:25:15

  In a message on Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:22:33 -0400, wrote :

"p>
"p> > I installed Redhat 8 on a seperate harddisk, later when i upgraded to
"p> > LCD, the LCD
"p> > can't display the Linux...
"p> > Now I want to disgard the Linux OS and reuse my harddisk in Win-XP, how
"p> > may I do it? Does HDD has a reset button or what? How may I reformat it
"p> > in the Win-XP
"p> > I am currently using?
"p> >
"p> > Thanks.
"p> > Kelvin.
"p>
"p>
"p>
"p> WinXP:
"p> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management . Select Disk Manager.
"p> Select the hdd  and delete  partition(s). You are then free to create
"p> Windows file systems on that disk.
"p>
"p>
"p> You don't seem to know your way around WinXP well... How on earth did you
"p> manage to install linux ?

It is actually *easier* to *mindlessly* install Linux than MS-Windows.
One can drop in a RH boot CD and boot up the box.  RedHat, et. al. have
made it really easy. Selecting the 'default' option on every screen
will in fact install Linux, not necessarily sanely in all cases --
there is the *presumption* that there is an *intelligent* human (?)
being sitting there making intelligent choices, with the presumption of
having the book that came in the box to one side.  If one fails to
actually *read* any of the text on any of the screens, one of course
has no idea what really happened and end up with a 'mess'.

Mess-Windows was *never* really designed for end-users to install from
scratch.  And certainly never on anything but a "factory fresh" disk,
not one that already had partitions on it, *esp* partitions for some
*other* operating system. One is *supposed* to buy a pre-loaded system
and in fact, pre-loaded boxes no longer even come with a Mess-Windows
install CD, only some sort of disaster-recovery thingy.

"p>
"p> -jp
"p>
"p>

Post by joseph phili » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:44:04

>> You don't seem to know your way around WinXP well... How on earth did you
>> manage to install linux ?

> I don't know my way around XP very well. This has never caused me the
> slightest difficulty in installing Linux:)

> Regards, Ian

Try NT and linux in a dual boot configuration, and watch them argue about
whose view of the disk is the correct one.. Very entertaining untill ext2
file systems start gettng overwritten by an over-zealous Disk
Administrator that wants to "fix" your "disk problems".

regards,
-jp