shakiness with ATI Xpert 98 8M

Post by Ronald Hayne » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I am using an ATI Xpert 98 card configured
with SAX, SUSE 6.1, 1024x768 resolution.
  I didn't notice it at first
but now I am detecting a shimmy effect along the edges
(left and right) not top and bottom.

It is especially noticable with windows with one
or both edges positioned near the edge of the display.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
R Haynes

shakiness with ATI Xpert 98 8M

Post by Ross Wonderle » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Ronald,

quite well right up to 1280x1024.

Youmay need to use xvidtune to check your display settings. YOu haven't
said what sort of monitor you are using, but it sounds as though the
mode setting for 1024x768 has been configured as an interlaced mode.
Does 800x600 work OK?

Ross

> Hi, I am using an ATI Xpert 98 card configured
> with SAX, SUSE 6.1, 1024x768 resolution.
>   I didn't notice it at first
> but now I am detecting a shimmy effect along the edges
> (left and right) not top and bottom.

> It is especially noticable with windows with one
> or both edges positioned near the edge of the display.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks,
> R Haynes

shakiness with ATI Xpert 98 8M

Post by Stephen » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Mine does the same thing.  I thought mine was this crappy monitor
though!!  It actully seems to come and go in Windows but it's always
there under Linux.

Stephen
www.mass-pc.com

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:35:45 -0700, Ronald Haynes

>Hi, I am using an ATI Xpert 98 card configured
>with SAX, SUSE 6.1, 1024x768 resolution.
>  I didn't notice it at first
>but now I am detecting a shimmy effect along the edges
>(left and right) not top and bottom.

>It is especially noticable with windows with one
>or both edges positioned near the edge of the display.

>Any suggestions?

>Thanks,
>R Haynes

shakiness with ATI Xpert 98 8M

Post by Eric Wyle » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I knew someone that had this problem and it turned out to be
interference getting to the monitor.

I know this sounds crazy, but he took a piece of carboard
and wrapped it with aluminum foil and put it between the
monitor (or the tower, I can't remember) and the
interference (had to hunt for the best place).

The foil acted as a shield and stopped the shaking.

I know it sounds kinda goofy, but it just might work.

PEACE

shakiness with ATI Xpert 98 8M

Post by ah.. » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I knew someone that had this problem and it turned out to be
> interference getting to the monitor.

> I know this sounds crazy, but he took a piece of carboard
> and wrapped it with aluminum foil and put it between the
> monitor (or the tower, I can't remember) and the
> interference (had to hunt for the best place).

> The foil acted as a shield and stopped the shaking.

> I know it sounds kinda goofy, but it just might work.

> PEACE

This is good advice.  From my experience working in a hardware lab on
video display cards for SGI workstations, the video noise at the ends of
horizontal display lines is usually caused by electrical/magnetic
interference from nearby devices such as switching power supplies, power
transformers, crummy cables, desktop fans, etc.

My two cents....

Quote:

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. ATI Xpert@Play AGP vs. ATI Xpert@Play 98 AGP

Just wondering if anyone out there is using the either of these cards with
RedHat 5.2 or xfree86 3.3.2.  On RH's compatibility list it says the

What I would really like to know is this : is there a difference between

with RH 5.2.  Any suggestions of other relatively cheap (around $50) video
cards that are agp and work with RH 5.2 (out of the box) would be really
appreciated.
Dan Finn

2. Terminal Settings

3. X display probleams, ATI Xpert 98 AGP, Tatung Monitor HELP!!!!

4. XF86DGA extension

5. RH 5.0 / ATI XPERT@Play 98

6. scsi trouble

7. Redhat 6.2 with Asus cuv4x-e + Ati xpert 98 + 3com 3c905b

8. Apache and .htaccess question

9. HELP: Need Modeline for ATI XPert 98 at 1600x1200

10. ATI Xpert@Play 98

11. AGP, ATi Xpert 98 8mb

12. Video card driver for 'ATI XPERT@PLAY 98'

13. ATI Xpert 98 with Xfree86 4.1.0 under Debian 2.2r3