Good database software for Linux

Post by Richard Bowma » Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Checked out the list of database software for Linux at
http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapps.shtml, but I'm having a hard time
deciding which one to download. I have a DBF (also have a CSV of the
same), and need to get it into a database system, and be able to query
the database over the Internet.

I would like advanced filtering and querying, but I also need it to be
kinda simple to use (preferably with some kind of X-based interface). I
am assuming PostgreSQL is a big free one, but does anyone have any
experience with others, or is Postgre the best one?

Thanks
Richard Bowman

Post by Victor Wagn » Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: Checked out the list of database software for Linux at
: http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapps.shtml, but I'm having a hard time
: deciding which one to download. I have a DBF (also have a CSV of the
: same), and need to get it into a database system, and be able to query
: the database over the Internet.

: I would like advanced filtering and querying, but I also need it to be
: kinda simple to use (preferably with some kind of X-based interface). I
: am assuming PostgreSQL is a big free one, but does anyone have any
: experience with others, or is Postgre the best one?

You have got strange ideas about what databases are.

most of Linux databases are SQL servers which have no interface except
socket connections. (which are not interfaces for human, of course)

Then you can use various client software to connect database and
only thing which database can do and would do is store and retrieve
your data.

It is job to client programs to provide interface to user and/or
foreign file format.

Concerning postgreSQL there is x-based (Motif) client named mxsql
there is Tcl interface which allows you to write customized GUI clients
and CGI scripts, there is perl interface (perl is sometimes better
for CGI than Tcl due to -w and -T options)

Concerning import of DBF and csv files - just write simple Tcl/Perl
script for do so.

About experience with postgres. We are running old version (95) of
postgres behind our WWW server. And constantly have problems with it.
I've read that these problems (mostly memory leaks) are fixed in newer
versions. I have seen that it is now almost ANSI compilant, but
our manager refuses to upgrade postgres, telling me better to switch
to Oracle, which we use in any case (but it is under Solaris).

It is said that Solid and Adabas more stable, but they cost money.

Good databases are all equally simple to use but hardly simple to administer

: Thanks
: Richard Bowman
I have tin news and pine mail...

Good database software for Linux

Post by Jamie Sike » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> I would like advanced filtering and querying, but I also need it to be
> kinda simple to use (preferably with some kind of X-based interface). I
> am assuming PostgreSQL is a big free one, but does anyone have any
> experience with others, or is Postgre the best one?

I played with msql a little. Seemed nice for what it does, if you
can accept the funky licence.  Easy to get started, at least under
Java.  I didn't use msql's JDBC support if it has it.

That mysql sounds fairly popular.

These things usually require a big investment of time.  Unless I had
someone buying me a super-duper professional DBMS, I think I'd
spend my time (next time) on PostgreSQL even though it probably requires
the most time because of it's "bigness". It sounds like it's got legs.

Big list of DBs:  http://cuiwww.unige.ch/~scg/FreeDB/FreeDB.list.html

Another list?: http://linas.org/linux/db.html

What's a DBF?

Post by Bruce Stephen » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> These things usually require a big investment of time.  Unless I had
> someone buying me a super-duper professional DBMS, I think I'd spend
> my time (next time) on PostgreSQL even though it probably requires
> the most time because of it's "bigness". It sounds like it's got
> legs.

I've been playing around with PostgreSQL
(<URL:http://www.postgresql.org>), and I think it's *very* easy to get
set up (they've clearly done lots of work for the current release).

On the graphical front, there's a Tcl/Tk based interface called
pgaccess (although the configure failed to detect Tk on my box; I had
to hack it) which is pretty good.  I think there's a statically linked
Motif client somewhere, but I don't know how good it is.

It seems pretty well supported by interfaces: the Tcl interface looks
pretty usable, and Perl's DBI interface supports it (DBD::Pg).

Altogether, a superb piece of freeware, being actively developed.
Deserves an O'Reilly book, if any authors are reading.

Good database software for Linux

Post by gold_.. » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Check out this postgresql-howto doc!!!!!

mirror : http://www.WGS.com/LDP/HOWTO/PostgreSQL-HOWTO.html
main site http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/PostgreSQL-HOWTO.html

Post by Bruce Stephen » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Check out this postgresql-howto doc!!!!!

> mirror : http://www.veryComputer.com/
> main site http://www.veryComputer.com/

Hmm.  Good, but too long, IMHO.  How about a mini HOWTO?  (Personally,
I could do without both the 1992 and 1998 SQL syntaxes, for example,
and the bit on temp*SQL (given that PostgreSQL has recently
dropped its equivalent in favour of triggers giving the same
functionality) is a bit superfluous.)

Overall, it's good; just nobody print it out until you've scanned it
to make sure you really want to.

I note that HOWTOs are supposed to be comprehensive.  How about if I
put together a mini HOWTO of those things that I think ought to be in
such a thing?  Would anybody be interested?  Would I be stepping on
anybody's toes (obviously, I'd run it past the PostgreSQL people, and
have them check it for accuracy)?

Post by Scott K. Staffor » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> > Check out this postgresql-howto doc!!!!!

> > mirror : http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > main site http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Hmm.  Good, but too long, IMHO.  How about a mini HOWTO?  (Personally,
> I could do without both the 1992 and 1998 SQL syntaxes, for example,
> and the bit on temp*SQL (given that PostgreSQL has recently
> dropped its equivalent in favour of triggers giving the same
> functionality) is a bit superfluous.)

Pff.  This is the worst crack-baby HOWTO ever created.  Gee, 147 pages
on the "current SQL specifications and standards," and not a single
sentence on how to get Postgresql up and working.  I think the guy who
wrote this must have been dropped as a baby.

Garbage.

Quote:> Overall, it's good; just nobody print it out until you've scanned it
> to make sure you really want to.

A bit generous, don't you think?  You'd have to by psychic to make any
use of this nonsense.  After carefully reading the "docs" that came with
Postgresql, and this laughable HOWTO, I feel like the scientist in the
old sci-fi film THIS ISLAND EARTH; I've assembled my InterRossiter, but
without the help of a white-haired alien with a bulging cranium, I can't
really get any further.

--

(you know the drill to send me some email...)
Rinji news o moshiagemasu!

Good database software for Linux

Post by gold_.. » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Most interesting and important chapter was chapter 34. Economic and
Business Aspects
Every M$ user must read that.
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Jason Ear » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> > > Check out this postgresql-howto doc!!!!!

> > > mirror : http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > > main site http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > Hmm.  Good, but too long, IMHO.  How about a mini HOWTO?  (Personally,
> > I could do without both the 1992 and 1998 SQL syntaxes, for example,
> > and the bit on temp*SQL (given that PostgreSQL has recently
> > dropped its equivalent in favour of triggers giving the same
> > functionality) is a bit superfluous.)

> Pff.  This is the worst crack-baby HOWTO ever created.  Gee, 147 pages
> on the "current SQL specifications and standards," and not a single
> sentence on how to get Postgresql up and working.  I think the guy who
> wrote this must have been dropped as a baby.

I don't think he wrote it as much as he pulled together several
outside sources.  If nothing else it contains URL links to most of the
places that you might want to check out.

Quote:> Garbage.

> > Overall, it's good; just nobody print it out until you've scanned it
> > to make sure you really want to.

> A bit generous, don't you think?  You'd have to by psychic to make any
> use of this nonsense.  After carefully reading the "docs" that came with
> Postgresql, and this laughable HOWTO, I feel like the scientist in the
> old sci-fi film THIS ISLAND EARTH; I've assembled my InterRossiter, but
> without the help of a white-haired alien with a bulging cranium, I can't
> really get any further.

Very good reference.  I laughed for several minutes.  Of course you do
know that comp.os.linux.misc is populated almost exclusively by
bulgy-headed aliens, don't you?  If you think about it you'll realize
that it certainly explains a lot of the topics that get discussed.

Would you like some help putting your PostgreSql database together, or
are you just cracking jokes.

Jason Earl

Post by Scott K. Staffor » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> > Pff.  This is the worst crack-baby HOWTO ever created.  Gee, 147 pages
> > on the "current SQL specifications and standards," and not a single
> > sentence on how to get Postgresql up and working.  I think the guy who
> > wrote this must have been dropped as a baby.

> I don't think he wrote it as much as he pulled together several
> outside sources.  If nothing else it contains URL links to most of the
> places that you might want to check out.

... which could have been accomplished in a single page of neat,
well-indexed links - instead of this mongo-document.

Quote:> > A bit generous, don't you think?  You'd have to by psychic to make any
> > use of this nonsense.  After carefully reading the "docs" that came with
> > Postgresql, and this laughable HOWTO, I feel like the scientist in the
> > old sci-fi film THIS ISLAND EARTH; I've assembled my InterRossiter, but
> > without the help of a white-haired alien with a bulging cranium, I can't
> > really get any further.

> Very good reference.  I laughed for several minutes.  Of course you do
> know that comp.os.linux.misc is populated almost exclusively by
> bulgy-headed aliens, don't you?  If you think about it you'll realize
> that it certainly explains a lot of the topics that get discussed.

Yes.  Brack.  I.  Will.  Rotate.  The.  Disk.  Eigh*.  Degrees.

Quote:> Would you like some help putting your PostgreSql database together, or
> are you just cracking jokes.

Oh, I've already done that (I bulged my cranium on dozens of other
databases...).  And I should point out that I'm being a bit unfair here;
the latest release of PostgreSql (6.3.1, IIRC...) is excellently
documented.  Unlike previous incarnations of the manual, this one is
rich with information - and contains a boffo step-by-step installation
guide.

All of which makes this HOWTO even more pathetic.  I mean, the people
who wrote the lastest docs for Postgres must be *praying* that no one
reads this HOWTO and runs screaming back to Larry Ellison...

--

(you know the drill to send me some email...)
Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
Gojira ga Ginza hoomen e mukatte imasu!
Daishkyu hinan shite kudasai!

Good database software for Linux

Post by Bruce Stephen » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> All of which makes this HOWTO even more pathetic.  I mean, the
> people who wrote the lastest docs for Postgres must be *praying*
> that no one reads this HOWTO and runs screaming back to Larry
> Ellison...

I guess this is what upset me most about the HOWTO: somebody might
find it by accident and read it.

Quite a bit of the HOWTO ought to be available somewhere.  The
temp*SQL, I'm not sure about, but the SQL syntaxes might be handy.

But surely sticking them in the HOWTO is taking the LDP's description
of a HOWTO as "comprehensive" just a bit too far?  Also, much of the
text that's not taken from other documents seems to be linux/open
source advocacy, which seems utterly out of place (even if it weren't
so embarrassing).

So, I'll take all this as a "yes, we do think there's a place for a
mini-HOWTO for PostgreSQL", and write one.

A quick summary.

Go to <URL:http://www.veryComputer.com/> and get the code.  Follow the
instructions to build and install it.  (Note that you may need to hack
things to get it to recognise that you've got Tcl/Tk; or do an
explicit "make" in src/interfaces/libpgtcl to get the library which
you'll need to run pgaccess.)

Things you'll probably want to get and install: Perl, DBI, DBD::Pg;
Tcl/Tk8.0p2, readline.  You probably don't want to bother with
mpsql-1.5.3, it doesn't seem to provide much.  mpsql-2 may turn out to
be better.

The installed documentation is good.  You'll also want an SQL book or
two; there are lots.

In order to import/export flat files to/from tables, either write a
Perl script to do it (using DBI), or use psql's \copy (psql is
PostgreSQL's command-line tool).  Using the ordinary COPY command
doesn't work so well (the backend does the copying, and so is
restricted).

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>> > Pff.  This is the worst crack-baby HOWTO ever created.  Gee, 147 pages
>> > on the "current SQL specifications and standards," and not a single
>> > sentence on how to get Postgresql up and working.  I think the guy who
>> > wrote this must have been dropped as a baby.

>> I don't think he wrote it as much as he pulled together several
>> outside sources.  If nothing else it contains URL links to most of the
>> places that you might want to check out.

>.... which could have been accomplished in a single page of neat,
>well-indexed links - instead of this mongo-document.

Originally it purported to be "The Linux Database HOWTO," when it was most
definitely rather biased towards only one of the whole host of RDBMSes that
run on Linux.  The author was quite disagreeable when anyone suggested that
there was any problem with this fact.

This ignores the rather "contentious" claims in the document...  The "Laws
of Physics" portion ignores political realities and economic realities that
lie outside his interests.

And the author has been known to "spam" newsgroups, indicating that
PostgreSQL is somehow "worth trillions of dollars." It doesn't work well
when Project Gutenberg claims that; it works no better when the claims
relate to PostgreSQL.

My "lsf" document suggests the *possibility* that there could not
unreasonably be billions of dollars raised for free software.  There is
*some* basis for such possibilities.  Unfortunately, there's not the
infrastructure to *accept* such funding and properly use it.  Which means
that while it might be a decent goal for something to happen five or ten
years from now, right now it's not realistic.

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

Good database software for Linux

Post by Bruce Stephen » Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> This ignores the rather "contentious" claims in the document...  The
> "Laws of Physics" portion ignores political realities and economic
> realities that lie outside his interests.

Yes, all of the "linux/open source can bring world peace" is a bit
embarrassing.  Not that Linux isn't a superb operating system, but a
database HOWTO isn't the right place to say so, and a short comment
would suffice.

I wonder why www.postgresql.org links to this HOWTO?  Why is it still
kept as a HOWTO at all?

There probably needs to be some kind of procedure for dealing with
this kind of thing (and this specific example is pretty minor): how
does a dodgy bit of documentation get made better, even when the
maintainer disagrees?

1. Any good (x?) database ported to linux?

        Dear netters,

        Do any of you know if a good data base program has been ported
        to linux? It could be curses-based or X-based.

        Thanks a lot,

Martin

 """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

 Physics Department                     voice: (514) 398-7027
 McGill University                        fax: (514) 398-8434
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada

2. Problems logging in at ISP

3. Is there a good SQL database for Linux?

4. Norton Ghost & Linux Drive

5. Any good SQL type database for linux?

6. dharper

7. Any suggestions for a good database library for Linux?

8. QU: Mirroring a directory on an FTP site and PERL?

9. WANTED: Good database program for linux

10. Good database for Linux?

11. Linux/UNIX database software?

12. Linux Software Database

13. Database Software of Linux?