Getty serial port terminal problem

Post by Edward Christopher Ker » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

I have a debian 1.3 box that I want to access using a serial port as a
terminal.  I ran getty with the command "getty 38400 /dev/ttyS0" while I
had hyperterminal on the machine that I want to connect from.  It gives
the login prompt, and I enter my username, and it asks for a password.
I type my password, but it echoes it.  Pressing enter after I enter my
password has no effect, and I cannot log in.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Edward Christopher Kern

ICQ# 9984441

Getty serial port terminal problem

Post by Vern Hox » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a debian 1.3 box that I want to access using a serial port as a
>terminal.  I ran getty with the command "getty 38400 /dev/ttyS0" while I
>had hyperterminal on the machine that I want to connect from.  It gives
>the login prompt, and I enter my username, and it asks for a password.
>I type my password, but it echoes it.  Pressing enter after I enter my
>password has no effect, and I cannot log in.

For a simple 'getty', try my 'getty_em' instead of the distributed
getty.  It is included in the collection of blurbs and programs I have
bundled into a file named 'serial_suite.tgz'.  This is available via
ftp from 'scicom.alphacdc.com'.

It sounds like your getty has several flaws, for one, it should not
echo your password.

vern

--

3975 W. 29th Ave.                                        uucp: 303-455-2670
Denver, Colo., 80212                                    voice: 303-477-1780

Post by Gert Doeri » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a debian 1.3 box that I want to access using a serial port as a
>terminal.  I ran getty with the command "getty 38400 /dev/ttyS0" while I
>had hyperterminal on the machine that I want to connect from.  It gives
>the login prompt, and I enter my username, and it asks for a password.
>I type my password, but it echoes it.  Pressing enter after I enter my
>password has no effect, and I cannot log in.

Always run getty from /etc/inittab, never from the command line.

(Which is true for *ANY* getty).

gert
--
Yield to temptation ... it may not pass your way again!  --  Lazarus Long
                                                            //www.muc.de/~gert

Getty serial port terminal problem

Post by Gert Doeri » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

>It sounds like your getty has several flaws, for one, it should not
>echo your password.

Since getty has nothing to do whatsoever with passwords, this advice is
quite hilarious.

The problem occurs if you do not run *getty from /etc/inittab but from the
command line, and the controlling tty is messed up -> this confuses login,
which messes up its tty settings.

gert
--
Yield to temptation ... it may not pass your way again!  --  Lazarus Long
                                                            //www.muc.de/~gert

1. Newbie and problems with getty and serial ports

I am quite new in Linux and have a problem with getty.

I am 'only' trying to connect a dumb terminal with a linux box.

I have test the /etc/gettydefs file and it is correct (well it says the
same that my manual). I have configured the file /etc/rc.d/rc.serial as
the manual says.

if i execute from the console:

        /sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

my terminal works fine, so it is not a cabling problem, but when i
logout i cannot log again until i go to the console and execute the
command again.

Then i said, OK i need to respwn it in the /etc/inittab file and i put a
new line on it as:

        S1:456:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 vt100

and execute :

        init q

My terminal does not work.
Then i reboot the machine, it does not work

If i execute again the line from the console it works again perfectly
until i logout

I am lose

Help

Thanks in advanced

joseba real de asua

2. multiple processes reading one (pipe, fifo, ??)

3. How do I set up a correct getty for serial terminal?

4. Fronpage with Apache on Linux

5. which getty for fixed serial terminal?

6. SB-Pro on 1.2.13: write error: I/O error

7. Getty on a serial port

8. Forwarding & Appending Mail to a File?

9. QUESTION: How to disable getty on Serial Port??

10. getty on serial port

11. getty serial port LCKs on 5.0.4

12. getty respawning too rapidly on serial port attached to modem

13. getty on serial port; login: but no Password: