how to disable laptop's mouse "tap" capability

how to disable laptop's mouse "tap" capability

Post by Cassi » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:34:33

Greetings all,

I've got a Dell Inspiron 7500 running RH 7.1.  I have this annoying
issue with the mouse.  It's one of those little screens that you run
your finger over, and it has the special 'feature' of interpreting a
tap of your finger as a left-click of a button.  Very annoying!!!!!
Does anyone know how to disable it?

-Cassius

how to disable laptop's mouse "tap" capability

Post by bur » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:11:16

Quote:> Greetings all,

> I've got a Dell Inspiron 7500 running RH 7.1.  I have this annoying
> issue with the mouse.  It's one of those little screens that you run
> your finger over, and it has the special 'feature' of interpreting a
> tap of your finger as a left-click of a button.  Very annoying!!!!!
> Does anyone know how to disable it?

I have the same problem. what I finally did was disable it from the
BIOS (I can with my Inspiron 8000) and use a USB external
mouse. There is, however, reputed to be a driver for the Synaptics
touchpad available here: http://cag.lcs.mit.edu/~cananian/Synaptics/

I've never used it, so I can't vouch for how well it works. This is
assuming that the 7500 also uses a Synaptics touch pad of course.

-burk

--

Post by Dave Carriga » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 02:07:27

> Greetings all,

> I've got a Dell Inspiron 7500 running RH 7.1.  I have this annoying
> issue with the mouse.  It's one of those little screens that you run
> your finger over, and it has the special 'feature' of interpreting a
> tap of your finger as a left-click of a button.  Very annoying!!!!!
> Does anyone know how to disable it?

Get tpconfig from http://compass.com/synaptics/. Then use the command

tpconfig --tapmode=0

--

UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | spread all over their
Seattle, WA, USA                            | ANKLES??... Now, it's time to

My machine: P166+mmx, 32mb ram, 4gb HD with Win95 and Win NT 4.0 and
redhat5.1 co-existed in different partitions.

I issued "sndconfig" within a xterm inside X Window, The program
detects the SB 16 pnp card sets it up with no error message, but when
it launch ModProbe to test out, it gets a message states: An error was
encountered running the ModProbe program."  I tried different IRQ
settings, all ends with the same message.

2nd, When I try to mount /dev/cdrom from File Systerm Manager, the
following error is returned:  Can't find /dev/hdb in /etc/mtab or
/etc/fstab.

3nd, When my machine boots, it halts at "Sendmail" for about 3-5 mins
before it goes to next step.  Obviously there isn't any mail system on
the machine right now because it is a standalone.  How can take this
mail thing out and speed up booting?

last one, Is my Zoom 56k PCI FaxModem a Windmodem that Linux can't use
to connect me to my local isp?

Experts help me out please. thanks.

2. mandrake et XP

3. CDE & MOUSE: *must* disable "pasting" via-mouse (GD MFing ShEing MOUSE!)

4. malloc in kernel space ?

6. does openbsd use an encryptef file system

7. "Sager" / "Pro-Star" laptop owners' feedback sought!

8. sony PCG-FXA47 and linux

9. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

10. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

11. What is "INIT: Id "s2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes"?

12. Need to disable "!"(escape to shell) while in "more"

13. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?