Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

Post by Nick Smeltze » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Sorry, I'm not a pc idiot, just completely new to linux. I lurked here
for a day or two and didn't see the answer.

Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

Someone told me it was possible, but in the 4 days of having RedHat on
my system I can't figure it out...

Sorry for the dumb question.

Nick
--

Nick Smeltzer CNE

Post by William H. Pridge » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Sorry, I'm not a pc idiot, just completely new to linux. I lurked here
> for a day or two and didn't see the answer.

> Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
> Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
> want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

> Someone told me it was possible, but in the 4 days of having RedHat on
> my system I can't figure it out...

> Sorry for the dumb question.

> Nick

There are programs that allow you to run some Windows apps under Linux.
One of these is called WINE.  Another is called WABI.  One cannot run
Windows 95 itself from a terminal.

--
Bill Pridgen
--

Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

Post by Daniel Bradl » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Go to http://www.vmware.com

VMWare allows you to run Win95/Win98/Linux/BSD whatever inside a
virtual machine running on your linux box.

On a K6200 NT is a little slow, but if you have a faster machine
something like a k6-2 or a celeron/PII you should be fine.

Cheers,
Daniel.

>> Sorry, I'm not a pc idiot, just completely new to linux. I lurked here
>> for a day or two and didn't see the answer.

>> Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
>> Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
>> want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

>> Someone told me it was possible, but in the 4 days of having RedHat on
>> my system I can't figure it out...

>> Sorry for the dumb question.

>> Nick

>There are programs that allow you to run some Windows apps under Linux.
>One of these is called WINE.  Another is called WABI.  One cannot run
>Windows 95 itself from a terminal.

>--
>Bill Pridgen
>--

Daniel Bradley
To email me, please remove "notinnedmeat" from address

Post by Andreas Schyma » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
> Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
> want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

You can run some Windows apps under Linux using WINE
(http://www.winehq.com/) or you could take a look att VMWare
(http://www.vmware.com/) which lets you run Win95 in a virtual machine
at the same time as you are running Linux.

Andreas.

Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

Post by **Nick Brow » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Don't expect miracles from WINE.  It can't handle many big, complex,
non-Win32 pure apps.  The worst offender in this respect is of course
Microsloth, who write to an undocumented API.

> Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
> Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
> want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

1. Newbie newbie newbie

Sorry to bother you all but I am not a regular LINUX user. I got myself a
version of a program called "Smoothwall" which turns an old computer system
into a firewall. (although it was a system made of mostly old components I
did put in a brand new hard disk)

When I installed the smoothwall software I didnt know that the embedded
LINUX would place some data on my hard disk's boot sector. I am now left
with a hard disk that cannot be used for a windows installation. Even after
deleting all the non-dos partitions and reformatting the disk it still has
some LINUX hiding away on it.

Can somebody please tell me a way to erase the data on the boot sector so as
to restore the disk to its out-of-the-box condition and ready to use for
windows?

Any assistance will be greatfully accepted

B.G

2. [Fwd: NIS+ and solstice problem.]

3. Newbie, Newbie, Newbie... Please be patient with me

4. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (6/7) Digest [Frequent posting]

5. Newbie question for Linux: What ---p and rwxp mean in /proc/xxx/maps ?

6. Processor Information

7. Real newbie basic X question - Red Hat 5.2

8. The shell ping to host repeatly and mail me a result

9. real newbie question :)

10. Newbie Question: KDE and Real Player

11. REAL newbie question

12. a real newbie question re:memory

13. Real solaris 9 newbie GUI question