Why does ipppd start a connection when I start an app?

Why does ipppd start a connection when I start an app?

Post by Greg Kushmere » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I found something odd -- if I've disconnected from my ISP, but I
then start a new Netscape or Xemacs, then ipppd automatically reconnects
me to the net.

Does anyone know why ipppd does this?  I'm not so interested in the
auto-reconnect feature if I can't control it.

Cheers,

--gk

Why does ipppd start a connection when I start an app?

Post by Kristian Ellingse » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

* Greg Kushmerek

|  I found something odd -- if I've disconnected from my ISP, but I
|  then start a new Netscape or Xemacs, then ipppd automatically reconnects
|  me to the net.

Netscape and Emacs performs domain-name-queries, if you stop the 'named'-daemon
(if your run Red Hat type 'ntsysv' as "root") and add a line to '/etc/hosts'
for your own machine:

0.0.0.0 machine.domain machine

you should be set.
KRISTIAN ELLINGSEN     http://ellingsen.home.ml.org/

---------There's no future in time travel.----------

1. X starts, apps start, but I don't see apps

ntp-server.caltech.edu!news

Hi all --

For various arcane reasons, I recently took a hard drive containing a
RedHat Linux 6.1 installation out of the computer it had been in and
put it in a new computer.  Most things worked right away, but of
course X did not work with the new display card.  I ran Xconfigurator
and made a few edits by hand to XF86Config.  Now when I run startx, I
hear the monitor click indicating it has changed resolutions and I see
a black screen with a white mouse cursor in the middle, but that is
all.  Back in the tty, ps shows that gnome and all the apps have
started, but I never see them on the screen.

A possibly-related, possibly-unrelated problem is that I cannot get
the mouse to work.  The old system had a PS/2 mouse.  The new system
has no PS/2 mouse port.  However, it does have a serial port and in
the BIOS settings it says something about PS/2 mouse support.  My
friend (who gave me the new computer) gave me a gadget that allows you
to plug a PS/2 mouse into a DB9 serial port, which he had been
successfully using with the old computer under Windows NT.  However, I
have not gotten it to work with linux (I have tried saying the
protocol is PS/2 and saying it is Microsoft; and I have tried pointing
/dev/mouse to all the various serial ports -- cua0-cua3 and
ttyS0-ttyS3) or Windows 98 which says at bootup that no mouse was
found.

Could mouse problems cause my other symptom, that the running apps
never show up on screen?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give,
Bob

2. Kill Process for udt logins

3. Starting devel on network server app. Need help starting out.

4. librariees

5. can't start apps after kppp starts

6. IPTABLES??

7. Apps no longer start remotely [was: Re: GVIM no longer starts...]

8. How do I turn off Banners lpd/lpr??

9. start apps when CDE starts

10. X starts and sometimes X dosent start ... Why?

11. Automatically starting dialup connection when starting Netscape?

12. XWindows starts and starts and starts!!!

13. How to start a new app from code in my app?