RH 7.3 questions

Post by wazz » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 08:24:40

I am installing RH 7.3 on two Dell 1650 servers.  For some reason CDs
don't automount when a CD is inserted into the tray.  I have to use
the mount command. What am I missing???

Also, what happen to linuxconf that was available at 7.2?

RH 7.3 questions

Post by Jean-David Beye » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:32:41

RH 7.3 questions

Post by Larry Ebbit » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 21:08:17

On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 02:32:41 -0400

> | Also, what happen to linuxconf that was available at 7.2?

> I believe it is on one of the installation disks, but it seems not
> to be needed. I did not much care for it, though it is handy for
> setting up disk quotas. But it messed up sendmail configuration
> files unless you figured out how to turn that off. Maybe Red Hat
> have seen the light and are phasing out linuxconf.

Yes, they are.  They have said it was deprecated, as too many people were
having problems caused by it.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux(Cntr #80621) + OS/2 - Atlanta

RH 7.3 questions

Post by nob.. » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 23:46:25

: On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 02:32:41 -0400

:> | Also, what happen to linuxconf that was available at 7.2?
:>
:> I believe it is on one of the installation disks, but it seems not
:> to be needed. I did not much care for it, though it is handy for
:> setting up disk quotas. But it messed up sendmail configuration
:> files unless you figured out how to turn that off. Maybe Red Hat
:> have seen the light and are phasing out linuxconf.

: Yes, they are.  They have said it was deprecated, as too many people were
: having problems caused by it.

What's the suggested alternative?  webmin maybe?

Stan
--
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com

RH 7.3 questions

Post by David Robinso » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 00:34:06

Quote:> Also, what happen to linuxconf that was available at 7.2?

Ever thought about reading the release notes on the first installation CD?

Package Reorganization
The following applications and packages not previously mentioned have been
removed from Red Hat Linux 7.3:
* enlightenment
* ext2ed
* fnlib
* gnome-pim
* isapnptools
* kaffe
* libodbc++
* linuxconf
* lout
* mawk
* p2c
* ttfm
* xmorph
* xmailbox
* xrn
* xsysinfo

RH 7.3 questions

Post by Colin Lero » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 00:42:19

Hi,

Quote:> The following applications and packages not previously mentioned have
> been removed from Red Hat Linux 7.3:
> * enlightenment
> * ...

Uh, strange, do they explain why they did this ? Licencing issues or ?

--
Colin
panic("huh?\n");

RH 7.3 questions

Post by Sinister Midge » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 02:04:47

On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 10:42:19 -0500, Colin Leroy claimed:

> Hi,

>> The following applications and packages not previously mentioned have
>> been removed from Red Hat Linux 7.3:
>> * enlightenment
>> * ...

> Uh, strange, do they explain why they did this ? Licencing issues or ?

Some due to space. They eliminated Powertools and incorporated some into
the OS. Already getting into 3 CDs, they decided to do away with some.

They had a rethinking in the case of Postfix because there was a major
outcry. It's now installed alongside sendmail.

Some was dropped due to licensing (xv was an early one as it's shareware).

Some was dropped in favor of other things that did the same or similar.

In the case of enlightenment, not sure. I guess KDE, Gnome/Sawfish, IceWM,
FVWM and FVWM2 were thought to be enough. It's plenty easy to add others
(I add XFCE and upgrade IceWM right away).

--
Microsoft: The company that made email dangerous.