DVD/CD-RW combo support?

Post by Ish Ratta » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 00:53:23

Any one using EIDE internal DVD/CD-RW combo drive
successfully under Linux 2.4.18 kernel?

I am interested in LG-Electronics DVD/CD-RW listed
at $79.00.

-ishwar

DVD/CD-RW combo support?

Post by mdfazl » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 02:37:20

> Any one using EIDE internal DVD/CD-RW combo drive
> successfully under Linux 2.4.18 kernel?

> I am interested in LG-Electronics DVD/CD-RW listed
> at $79.00.

> -ishwar

Mine TOSHIBA SR2102 DVD/CD-R work well but I've never try to burn the CD
yet and don't know it work or not.------Distro Mdk 9 and SuSE 8

DVD/CD-RW combo support?

Post by Markku Kolkk » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 03:05:50

> Any one using EIDE internal DVD/CD-RW combo drive
> successfully under Linux 2.4.18 kernel?

> I am interested in LG-Electronics DVD/CD-RW listed
> at $79.00.

I have a LG GCC-4210B and it works fine both as CD writer and as DVD player
under Red Hat Linux.

--
        Markku Kolkka

DVD/CD-RW combo support?

Post by Lenar » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 03:12:23

begin  Ish Rattan on Wed, 01 Jan 2003 10:53:23 -0500 wrote;

Quote:> Any one using EIDE internal DVD/CD-RW combo drive successfully under
> Linux 2.4.18 kernel?

> I am interested in LG-Electronics DVD/CD-RW listed at $79.00.

> -ishwar

My MATSHITA UJDA720 DVD/CDRW (Laptop) is running just fine with both
kernels 2.4.18-19.8.0 (Red Hat Linux 8.0) and 2.4.20

Playing encrypted DVD's and burning CD-R(W)'s with no problems.

--
end
Why you cannot read this, try a different reader!!

DVD/CD-RW combo support?

Post by Bill Unr » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 03:31:55

]Any one using EIDE internal DVD/CD-RW combo drive
]successfully under Linux 2.4.18 kernel?

]I am interested in LG-Electronics DVD/CD-RW listed
]at $79.00.

There should be no problem, however, I have an older LG CDR/RW drive
(the 8081B) and it is not completely compliant drive. It does not work
in TAO mode under cdrecord . It does work in DAO mode.
This has made me a little bit leary of LG. (Ie, if you can return it,
youcould buy it and try to put it through its paces. make sure you try
both DAO and TAO modes with it).

LG itself was completely unhelpful-- they said it was Linux compatible
only in read mode-- really helpful for a CDRW drive.-- and refused all
requests for more information.

DVD/CD-RW combo support?

Post by Dances With Crow » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 09:23:44

On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 12:56:09 -1000, Angela Kahealani staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:> I have been unable to do anything with DVD-R disks in this drive under
> Linux.  I try to write to one like I do with DVD-RAM cartridges and
> the software churns merrily on like it was doing a successful DUMP or
> TAR to the drive, but the drive activity light shows no activity, and
> naturally, having not actually written any data, a read/compare fails.
> YDL 2.3 is the software.

DVD-RAM discs behave like SCSI hard disks, as you said.  DVD-R and
variants (+R, -RW, +RW) behave like CD-RWs and you need to use them as
such.

Yellow Dog, eh?  It's wise to say "I'm not running this on an x86" when
you aren't, since people will assume you're using an x86 as it's the
most popular architecture for Linux right now.  The base utilities
should build fine on a PPC, but prepackaged RPMs may not be available.

Google for "growisofs" for info on using a DVD-R in Linux.  I believe
you can also use cdrecord (or one of its frontends like XCDRoast,
cdrtoaster, kreateCD, or gcombust) to burn an ISO9660 filesystem image
to a DVD-R, but I don't have a DVD-R yet and can't test this.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

DVD/CD-RW combo support?

Post by Jacob Kristense » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 10:01:51

>>Any one using EIDE internal DVD/CD-RW combo drive
>>successfully under Linux 2.4.18 kernel?

>>I am interested in LG-Electronics DVD/CD-RW listed
>>at $79.00.

> I have a LG GCC-4210B and it works fine both as CD writer and as DVD player
> under Red Hat Linux.

Me uses LG GCC-4120B too. works fine under Mandrake 9.0. Use ogle to
watch DVD's, X-CD-Roast to burn CD's.
I never actually mount the drive - have a couple of device files under
/dev to read from.

/Jacob