Problem: 'can't open display'-error message

Problem: 'can't open display'-error message

Post by Rene van Donkelaa » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a problem using Linux and remote graphical display. Maybe someone
can help me? I installed the Slackware 3.0 distribution, and the system
seems to work perfectly. Except for the following :-(

My problem:
I want to use graphical display information from a sg (sg1) on my Linux
computer (pc). However, when I start a graphical program it tells me:
      'can't open display'.

Here is what I do:
pc:   rsh sg1
sg1:  setenv DISPLAY pc:0.0
pc:   xhost +sg1
sg1:  winterm
[I actually get the sg1-winterm screen on my pc-screen at this time, so
env variables are set correctly (?)]
sg1:  xv (or any other program)

This is the result:
      'xv: can't open display'

Someone can gimme a clue?

Thanks in advance,
Rene van Donkelaar,

Problem: 'can't open display'-error message

Post by Joshua Wead » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: sg1:  xv (or any other program)

: This is the result:
:       'xv: can't open display'

: Someone can gimme a clue?

xv -display pc:0.0

You're running it on the remote machine, and it doesn't always pick up
the DISPLAY variable.  Give it explicitly.

--Josh

 bedbugs.  So say there's a bedbug              Information Retrieval Lab
 sitting on an infinite sheet of charge..."        LGRT 104