How do I get sendmail to use my real name in stead of my login name

How do I get sendmail to use my real name in stead of my login name

Post by Nobod » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

See subject: When I send mail from my login user (e.g. root) the receiver

do this?

Lyon

Post by Dan Anders » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> How do I get sendmail to use my real name in stead of my login name

You don't (sendmail only delivers mail, it doesn't compose it) .  It's
the e-mail program you use.  You could add or change the real name in
/etc/passwd, which many e-mail programs use as the default.

If you use pine, you can go into  Setup --> Config, set this field

personal name:

then Exit   Other e-mail programs usually have similar options.

>See subject: When I send mail from my login user (e.g. root) the receiver

>do this?

-

7514 Flower Meadow Drive, San Diego, CA 92126-1044, USA
ICBM: 117d 9' 30" W, 33d 55' 45" N, 125m

How do I get sendmail to use my real name in stead of my login name

Post by Douglas Sea » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

[mailed and posted]

> See subject: When I send mail from my login user (e.g. root) the receiver

> do this?

When your mail program talks to sendmail, it just sends one line in the
header section with "From: whatever" in it.  Just tell your mail program
to send something different.  How to do that depends on what you are
using.  As you seem to be posting with "Microsoft Internet News
4.70.1155", I've got no idea how to help you.  Try looking in some
option menu.

- doug

Post by Miguel Cr » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>> How do I get sendmail to use my real name in stead of my login name
>You don't (sendmail only delivers mail, it doesn't compose it) .

Of course you can. Look in the O'Reilly Sendmail book, p. 642 ("Userdb").
You can set up a database that sendmail looks at when processing outgoing
messages. It will replace any user's email address with anything you want.

miguel

Post by James Mcphers » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

:
: > How do I get sendmail to use my real name in stead of my login name
:
: You don't (sendmail only delivers mail, it doesn't compose it) .  It's
: the e-mail program you use.  You could add or change the real name in
: /etc/passwd, which many e-mail programs use as the default.
:
: If you use pine, you can go into  Setup --> Config, set this field
:
: personal name:
:
: then Exit   Other e-mail programs usually have similar options.
:
: >See subject: When I send mail from my login user (e.g. root) the receiver

: >do this?

The question has to be, ___why___ are you logging in as root and doing your
normal tasks as root?!!!! root is for sysadmin tasks _only_. You should
configure your system so that you can do all you need as your personal login
(redlemon) and so that /etc/passwd reflects who you are as redlemon.

cardinal rule: don't login as root, use su.

jcm
--
Historian/InterLibraryLoans/ITLO/Branch Sysmangler

Post by Bear Gil » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>: > How do I get sendmail to use my real name in stead of my login name
>:
>: You don't (sendmail only delivers mail, it doesn't compose it) .  It's
>: the e-mail program you use.  You could add or change the real name in
>: /etc/passwd, which many e-mail programs use as the default.

This isn't entirely true.  /etc/sendmail.cf specifies the format of
header information:

   # UNIX initial From header format
   DlFrom $g  $d

As I recall '$g' specifies that the GECOS field of the password file
should be used, and '$d' is the email address.  If you don't have $g
on this line the information in the password file will _not_ make it
into mail.

Quote:>cardinal rule: don't login as root, use su.

Better yet use sudo or a variant.  These programs log all commands,
allow users to be restricted to command subsets, can _greatly_ reduce
the risk that one malicious person could lock out all other users
from root access, etc.

--
Bear Giles        Learn how to reject spam mail with sendmail (8.8.5)!!

                  Demand your ISP upgrade and install filters today!!

1. problem with sendmail using users name rather than email name

Hi,

We have incoming mail being aliased correctly to users, but when that
user with pine reply's or composes a new email, the users ID is used as
the prefix for our domain rather than thier email name. Any idea where I
should look to rectify this?

userID  webmon
email   webMonitor

/etc/aliases

webMonitor:     webmon

So this is fine for incoming mail but outgoing email will use

webmon when it should use webMonitor.

Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(

TCP/IP gatewaying http://www.hinwick.demon.co.uk/computerDept/

2. telnet on AIX

3. how can a machine has both a real domain name and a bogus domain name?

4. inverse dial-up

5. getting users login name after login from server

6. SIS 6215c Help!!

7. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

8. NFS Problems with WinWord-Clients

9. Changed host name - why does old name linger in sendmail?

10. Which named ?...Solaris 2.5 in.named or Berkley named ?

11. Getting "real name" of soft link in Bourne Shell

12. Getting the real tty device name (/dev/tty not good enough)

13. Help: Getting real name from userid?