RedHat-5.x + multiple partitions on a disk

RedHat-5.x + multiple partitions on a disk

Post by ishwar ratta » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to

1. install Redhat-5.x in a way that it can use several partitions
   on a disk? (context: would the like / on an IDE disk partition, and the
   rest /usr etc. on SCSI disk partitions). An attempt to install always
   puts the whole system on a single disk partitions.

2. boot from a floppy disk (the system still on hard disk..)?

Thanks in advance.

- ishwar

Post by Codifex Maximu » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am wondering if it is possible to

> 1. install Redhat-5.x in a way that it can use several partitions
>    on a disk? (context: would the like / on an IDE disk partition, and the
>    rest /usr etc. on SCSI disk partitions). An attempt to install always
>    puts the whole system on a single disk partitions.

> 2. boot from a floppy disk (the system still on hard disk..)?

> Thanks in advance.

> - ishwar

Use fdisk during install instead of Disk Druid.  Make up to 4 partitions
(recommended); one for root, one for swap, one for ftp and one for usr.  BUT
WHY?

Personnally, I would get THREE large hard drives.
The drives would be set up thusly:
Master IDE0 Harddrive a- /dev/hda1 is / (root), /dev/hda2 is swap.
Slave IDE0 Harddrive b- /dev/hdb1 is /home/ftp/pub, /dev/hdb2 is swap.
Master IDE1 Harddrive c- /dev/hdc1 is /usr, /dev/hdc2 is swap.
Slave IDE1 CDROM d- /dev/hdd is /mnt/cdrom.

This is about the best you can do with an IDE system IMHO.

Rock on!
--

=======================================

=======================================
My opinions are mine alone - though others may borrow...

Post by ZioBudd » Sun, 27 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am wondering if it is possible to

> 1. install Redhat-5.x in a way that it can use several partitions
>    on a disk? (context: would the like / on an IDE disk partition, and the
>    rest /usr etc. on SCSI disk partitions). An attempt to install always
>    puts the whole system on a single disk partitions.

yes..
it is the normal to have / in a single partition and /usr in another one
and /home in one again.

Quote:> 2. boot from a floppy disk (the system still on hard disk..)?

make zdisk when recompile the kernel.

Merry Christmas and Happy GNU year
--

1. 2.5.70-bk[56] breaks disk partitioning with multiple IDE disks

        Disk partition under linux-2.5.70-bk[56] systems with two
IDE disks is broken.  Under these kernels, the first disk gets
the partitioning of the second disk.  Reverting drivers/ide/ide.c
to the 2.5.70-bk4 version makes the problem go away.

        However, there were other changes made to ide.c that are
probably not related to this problem, and I haven't yet analyzed the
problem enough to suggest a potentially correct patch.

        Note that I use user-level disk partition table parsing via
partx from util-linux and run ide as a loadable module.  It is
possible that other configuations might not experience this problem.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   575 Oroville Road

+1 408 309-6081         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
                         "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."
-

2. (no subject)

3. How to partition when multiple hard disks present

4. sound not playing

5. multiple partitions on one disk

6. HELP: Serial Port Problems on x86.

7. Disk Partition Strategy? Multiple SCSI?

8. Yellow Dog video fails on iBook 2

9. One directory/partition across multiple disks

10. multiple disks->one partition

11. help on multiple-partition on two hard disks

12. multiple partitions in disk VTOC

13. adding multiple disks into one partition - security question