Root mounted as read-only!

Post by Pat C » Mon, 17 Oct 1994 11:50:15

Hi,

  I've been using Linux for several weeks.  Today a bizzare thing happened:
the hard disk was mounted as read-only, and I can no longer start Xwindows.
How does linux mount disks at boot time?  I would appreciate your help.

Root mounted as read-only!

Post by Tim D. Ban » Wed, 19 Oct 1994 15:06:19

>Hi,
>  I've been using Linux for several weeks.  Today a bizzare thing happened:
>the hard disk was mounted as read-only, and I can no longer start Xwindows.
>How does linux mount disks at boot time?  I would appreciate your help.

I had this problem myself when I first installed lilo, since my root
partition was flagged as bootable.  I unflagged it, made sure that my
/etc/lilo.conf was configured correctly, and it had no more problems.  I
think (don't quote me on this) that it was mounting it read-only to do the
appropriate checks, then stopping.

--
Tim Bandy                               University of Minnesota

Systems Staff                           License To Kill

--
Tim Bandy                               University of Minnesota

Systems Staff                           License To Kill

1. VFS: mounted root read-only

I know it's in the faq, but I think I may have a bad disk. I installed
redhat 7.1, and everything was working fine, then during a reboot my root
partition mounted read-only. I found the faq, manually fsck'ed all
partitions using the -a option as specified, and it still boots up with the
root partition read-only. It actually doesn't even boot, because I get
errors when anything tries to write to the root partition. I even went as
far as downloading a util from western digital to low-level format the disk,
and re-installed. After the initial install, it still mounts the root as
read-only. Could my disk be bad? I did manage to boot single user, remount
the roor read-write and get the os to boot, but everything runs really slow.
Any ideas? I'd about to buy a new disk.

thanks
jake

2. Linux on IBM PC 340

3. Root mounts read-only

4. unexpected characters showing up

5. How to mount root read-only and please e2fsck?

6. Generating menus at run-time with sh

7. trouble, root mounted read-only

8. Deleting Almost Duplicate Lines?

9. Slackware root floppy mounted read-only.

10. Root file system mounted read-only

11. hekp - root mounted as read-only doesn't allow logins...

12. HELP? Root partition mounts Read-Only SLS2.0

13. Root partition mounted read-only when ?