AMD K5-166 and Linux

Post by mbo.. » Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:00:00

How Good is the AMD K5-166? Would this be suitable for Linux.  Does this
provide good speed.  I know this isnt an Intel but does anyone here know
how this performs towards the Intel and Cryix products.

Does this have the FPU built into it or do you have to add a co-processor.

Matt

AMD K5-166 and Linux

Post by mboyl » Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:00:00

so the AMD K5's are faster then the Intel thats cool!...

Matt

AMD K5-166 and Linux

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> ALL pentium class chips have FPU's in them

The earlier NexGen Nx586 CPUs didn't, though the later ones did.  Whether
you consider them "Pentium-class" is up to you, of course, but they did
perform comparably to the Pentiums of their day (on integer stuff, not
floating-point), they were marketed as Pentium-class, and their
architecture was arguably more at a Pentium level than at a 486 level.
OTOH, they required their own custom motherboard designs, and of course
the present tense no longer applies to them, at least in terms of new
sales, since their no longer being produced.  (AMD bought out NexGen, and
what was to be the Nx686 became the AMD K6.)

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://php.indiana.edu/~rodsmith          "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove "uceprotect" from address to e-mail me

AMD K5-166 and Linux

Post by Titania 'Faerie Queen » Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: |
: |How Good is the AMD K5-166? Would this be suitable for Linux.  Does this
: |provide good speed.  I know this isnt an Intel but does anyone here know
: |how this performs towards the Intel and Cryix products.

The AMD range is cool, and supposedly 100% compatible with
Intel-shito-pentium-can't-add-up's

But I wouldn't buy one as my first choice...!! (I have an old K5-100
Machine though and its still going strong!)

:ALL pentium class chips have FPU's in them, the Cyrix one is pathetic, the
:AMD one isn't too bad, and the Intel one is the quickest.:

Hmmm. Have you seen the performance graphs for a Cyrix chip? Now they
run at a slower clock rate that the Intel one's and outperforms the
chips they are rated against? Say's something does it not?

Yeah, so the FP Unit on the 6x86 (not the 6x86MX) is a bit on the Bah
Humbug side of things...its still the best chip for S7 MB's IMHO.

And I think the AMD FP Unit is faster than the pentium MMX's. Don't
think it can beat the PII...?

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Here's my advice. If you've got a Socket 7 MB then get an 6x86MX (The
Cyrix M2 Chip) they are 60%  (according to PCW) cheaper that the PII
and a bit cheaper that the AMD K6.
:
If you don't fancy all that speed then get a K6, but do not get a
Intel job unless you are rich, work for Intel, or just like shabby
chips!!

TIA.
Titania 'Faerie Queen' a.k.a
Brennin ap Galladryn [Gan Y Mynydd].

-------
 "Mother Mary. China White. Brown may be sweeter."
 "She will supply... [x4] Give me Love. Peace."
 "Love. Peace and a hard*."

       == Tori Amos (Professional Widow)

AMD K5-166 and Linux

Post by Mark Ha » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: : |How Good is the AMD K5-166? Would this be suitable for Linux.  Does this

it's excellent for a low-end Linux box.  the K5/166 is actually _faster_
than the P5/166 for many things, including the most common Linux operation,
recompiling the kernel ;)  and, of course, they're dirt cheap.

: The AMD range is cool, and supposedly 100% compatible with
: Intel-shito-pentium-can't-add-up's

asinine comment.  P5's are excellent chips as well, and in some ways
better than any of their competitors.

: Hmmm. Have you seen the performance graphs for a Cyrix chip? Now they
: run at a slower clock rate that the Intel one's and outperforms the
: chips they are rated against? Say's something does it not?

no, it does not.  get and read H&P's Computer Architecture book,
especially all the discussion on IPC tradeoffs.

: Yeah, so the FP Unit on the 6x86 (not the 6x86MX) is a bit on the Bah
: Humbug side of things...its still the best chip for S7 MB's IMHO.

persistent problems with overheating and flakey memory.

: And I think the AMD FP Unit is faster than the pentium MMX's. Don't
: think it can beat the PII...?

AMD's FP is certainly not better than the P5's.  AMD's K6 has lower
latency than the P6 chips, but is not pipelined.

: Here's my advice. If you've got a Socket 7 MB then get an 6x86MX (The
: Cyrix M2 Chip) they are 60%  (according to PCW) cheaper that the PII
: and a bit cheaper that the AMD K6.

and slower.

regards, mark hahn.
--

                                        http://neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu/~hahn/

1. Linux on AMD K5-166/Routing etc.etc.

I am thinking about buying a whole seperate system to use for Linux...

I was wondering if anyone runs ONLY LINUX on an AMD K5-166. Have you
had any processor-related problems whatsoever? I will be running
XFree86.

And tell me if I can do this:

I would also like to connect to my ISP with the Linux box and be able
to access it (through ethernet) from my NT machine. Does linux have
routing capabilities built in?
 If so, is it a bitch to set up?  And would my NT box be inaccessable
from the outside world (assuming it would get a local IP) ???

What would be the best distribution for these purposes?

thanks in advance! I would really like a scenario like this, but don't
want to start thinking too much about hardware until I know it's gonna
work.

David Wallace

2. hard drives?

3. Secure PPP script for Linux?

4. AMD K5 166/Kernel compile

5. Correction for Re:Workstation speed

6. redhat 6.0 on amd k5 166

7. cd to a directory with a whitespace in the directory name

8. K5-166 Processor underLinux? Good choice or not?

9. Good for Linux? Gigabyte GA586 HX and AMD K5-166

10. AMD-K6-166 Processor

11. Linux and the AMD K5 processor