Dual booting Linux and Win95 (newbie)

Dual booting Linux and Win95 (newbie)

Post by Tim Wrig » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00



Hi all,

I'm about to acquire a new machine, and would like to put a fairly small
Linux installation on it. I've been perusing the various HOWTOs with
interest, and just thought I'd check a few things here which I'm not
entirely sure on.

It looks like a lilo boot system would require the linux partition to be
inside the first 500 Mb of disk space, which would be a pain, since I only
really want to devote 500 Mb or so to Linux (the Win95 side is going to be
used solely for games, of course, but the footprint on games these days is
pretty horrific!).

Example:

   First 500 Mb: Win95 boot partition
   Second 500 Mb: Linux primary and swap
   Last few Gb: Win95 secondary partition.

However, I was hoping to do something more like this:

   First few Gb: Win 95
   Last 500 Mb:  Linux bits and pieces.

Now I understand than lilo can't do this, but if I built a Linux boot
diskette, could that then kickstart the second system?

The reason I don't really want to split the Win95 partition is because the
last time I was using PC's, they made a lot of assumptions about drive
structure (ie one main drive on C:, CD-ROM on D:) and I saw a few games
fail due to unusual partitioning. Or is this less of a problem these days?

The other thing, of course, is that I can easily imagine a Win95 + DirectX
+ other MS Bloat > 500 Mb, which could be painful.

If I've missed something obvious, or if my presuppositions are flawed,
please beat me around the head with a rolled up HOWTO!

Cheers,

Tim.

--
ObDisclaimer: This is all my own work. LLP Limited would
almost certainly protest complete ignorance, if they knew
about it, which they don't. Okay? :)

 
 
 

Dual booting Linux and Win95 (newbie)

Post by Roy Stogn » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00



>It looks like a lilo boot system would require the linux partition to be
>inside the first 500 Mb of disk space, which would be a pain, since I only
>really want to devote 500 Mb or so to Linux (the Win95 side is going to be
>used solely for games, of course, but the footprint on games these days is
>pretty horrific!).

That Lilo limitation is really only a limitation of your BIOS.  With a
new computer, it probably won't be a problem.

Quote:>Example:

>   First 500 Mb: Win95 boot partition
>   Second 500 Mb: Linux primary and swap
>   Last few Gb: Win95 secondary partition.

Why not:
        First 500 Mb: Linux primary and swap
        Last few Gb: Win95 boot partition

... which would have both of them starting under the 500 MB limit.
Really, though, partition things however you want (be sure to use
LINUX fdisk to do it, though) and you probably won't have to worry
about an old BIOS.
---
Roy Stogner

 
 
 

Dual booting Linux and Win95 (newbie)

Post by Michael Prot » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00




> >It looks like a lilo boot system would require the linux partition to be
> >inside the first 500 Mb of disk space, which would be a pain, since I only
> >really want to devote 500 Mb or so to Linux (the Win95 side is going to be
> >used solely for games, of course, but the footprint on games these days is
> >pretty horrific!).

> That Lilo limitation is really only a limitation of your BIOS.  With a
> new computer, it probably won't be a problem.

It is a constraint of the BIOS. I have my HD partitioned in this way:

MBR: Lilo, with Linux (default) and Win95 boot options
first 2GB: Win95 partition
last 1GB: Linux partition and swap

I'm running all of this on a Quantum Fireball ST 3GB drive, and booting to
either OS works fine.

Michael Proto
--
Michael Proto
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

My opinions are not those of the Georgia Institute of Technology or its
Office of Information Technology. I am not a spokesperson.
"I'm a loser baby" -Beck-

 
 
 

Dual booting Linux and Win95 (newbie)

Post by Chris Water » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00



> However, I was hoping to do something more like this:
>    First few Gb: Win 95
>    Last 500 Mb:  Linux bits and pieces.

If you're really worried about it, how about something like this:

First 100+ MB:  Linux root
Some GB in the middle:  Win95
Last 4-500 MB:  Linux /usr

Swap can go either before or after the Win95 section.

Quote:> The reason I don't really want to split the Win95 partition is because the
> last time I was using PC's, they made a lot of assumptions about drive
> structure (ie one main drive on C:, CD-ROM on D:) and I saw a few games
> fail due to unusual partitioning. Or is this less of a problem these days?

I have two Win95 partitions, and I haven't seen any problems with it.
I've used multiple partitions with DOS for *years* and have never had
any problems with it.  The closest thing I've seen to a problem such
as you describe was trying to install Win95 itself from the OEM disks.
A *lot* of people use multiple partitions, even if they only use MS
OSes, and I suspect that any vendor that assumed that the CD was on D:
would be deluged with complaints very quickly.  I really doubt you
have anything to worry about.  I've installed at least a dozen games
on my Win95 partitions without problems (the only thing I use Win95 for).
--
Chris Waters             | Bill Gates: "We need room to innovate!"


www.dsp.net/xtifr/ (web) |
 
 
 

Dual booting Linux and Win95 (newbie)

Post by Tim Wrig » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00






> > >It looks like a lilo boot system would require the linux partition to be
> > >inside the first 500 Mb of disk space, which would be a pain, since I only
> > >really want to devote 500 Mb or so to Linux (the Win95 side is going to be
> > >used solely for games, of course, but the footprint on games these days is
> > >pretty horrific!).

> > That Lilo limitation is really only a limitation of your BIOS.  With a
> > new computer, it probably won't be a problem.

> It is a constraint of the BIOS. I have my HD partitioned in this way:

> MBR: Lilo, with Linux (default) and Win95 boot options
> first 2GB: Win95 partition
> last 1GB: Linux partition and swap

> I'm running all of this on a Quantum Fireball ST 3GB drive, and booting to
> either OS works fine.

Excellent... the new machine is a PII with a Chaintech 6LTM motherboard
(440LX based) and hopefully will have no problems booting a Linux
partition past 500 Mb. I'm a little new to PC's in general... I don't mind
installing linux since I'm quite confident that I can do that, but having
to reinstall Win'95 was worrying me slightly! (Y'know... conflicting
drivers and so on...)

Hopefully this way I can just shrink the Win95 partition and put the real
OS at the end. ;)

Many thanks for people's helpful advice!

Quote:> Michael Proto

Cheers,

Tim.

--
ObDisclaimer: This is all my own work. LLP Limited would
almost certainly protest complete ignorance, if they knew
about it, which they don't. Okay? :)

 
 
 

1. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

Hi:

I've got a 266 PII PC with one EIDE hard-drive with Win95 installed.  I want
to add a second EIDE hard drive (probably around 4-6 Gb) and install RH
Linux 5.1 plus some other Linux s/w (like Oracle8.0.5 pre-production
release!  Yew!).  I want to be able to choose which O/S (ie. which
hard-drive) I boot from at power-on.  I'm not real good with hardware and
low-level stuff.  Do I need to purchase a good boot-loader?  Is there one
that anyone would recommend that works very well and is simple (and safe!)
to install for choosing boot between Linux and Win95?

Doubly thankful if you would respond via email as well as posting here!

Thanks and regards,
Dave

2. idle time for w command

3. How do I connect tar and compress with a pipe?

4. Newbie: Dual Booting Win95 & Linux

5. LinuxPPC 2000 & Lombard/DVD

6. Dual boot Linux/Win95 (newbie)

7. fopen and permissions,

8. Dual Booting Linux and Win95 (newbie)

9. Newbie: Can I dual boot Win95 and NetBSD/i386 ?

10. Adding second Linux Drive to existing dual boot Win95 / Linux system

11. New to Linux, How can you make a dual boot of Linux and Win95?

12. Dual boot linux/Win95 and linux hardware compatibility problems