Netscape stalling: I'm desperate! Please read!

Netscape stalling: I'm desperate! Please read!

Post by Chris Schumache » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

It seems that no matter what I try, Netscape is stalling on a large
percentage of pages.  Part of the page will will come up and then
Netscape will say "stalled".  Sometimes just hitting reload brings it
up, sometimes not.

The connection seems fine since I NEVER get carrier dropped, ping
times are good, ftp transfers are good, and running netstat -i -c
doesn't show any errors when I run it on my machine.

This happens if I use a 2.0 kernel or an earlier one, and it doesn't
matter which version of Netscape I use.  I'm currently using
ppp-2.2.0f.

I've fiddled with modem settings, setserial, etc. but why would
everything else work great and Netscape stall??

This is driving me absolutely insane.  I need Netscape for what I do,
and I just can't make it sing.  *Any* lead will be much appreciated.

thanks for your help,
Chris.

---------------------------------

Post by Eric Sorens » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>It seems that no matter what I try, Netscape is stalling on a large
>percentage of pages.  Part of the page will will come up and then
>Netscape will say "stalled".  Sometimes just hitting reload brings it
>up, sometimes not.

>The connection seems fine since I NEVER get carrier dropped, ping
>times are good, ftp transfers are good, and running netstat -i -c
>doesn't show any errors when I run it on my machine.

>This happens if I use a 2.0 kernel or an earlier one, and it doesn't
>matter which version of Netscape I use.  I'm currently using
>ppp-2.2.0f.

>I've fiddled with modem settings, setserial, etc. but why would
>everything else work great and Netscape stall??

>This is driving me absolutely insane.  I need Netscape for what I do,
>and I just can't make it sing.  *Any* lead will be much appreciated.

>thanks for your help,
>Chris.

>---------------------------------

Chris:

Any of the UNIX variants of Netscape need GOBS of RAM memory. Are you
running at least 32 megs of ram?  Also, if you are a single user
system, you should have 10-15 megs swap space, 35-45 megs swap space if
you allow simultanious user logins.  But in any case there is no
substitute for physical ram.  Be sure you have at least 32 meg to avoid
problems with Netscape*......Also, I use the fvwm window manager
to save additional memory.

Eric

Post by Charles Pack » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Any of the UNIX variants of Netscape need GOBS of RAM memory. Are you
>running at least 32 megs of ram?  Also, if you are a single user

Surely you jest. I ran the Netscape version just previous to
2.0 with 16 Meg memory. I didn't do a lot of surfing, though,
just edited my Web page (http://www.cais.net/whatnews/whatnews.html).
When I viewed more than a dozen pages in succession, as when calling
up stock quotes, however, it would go weird or hang.

Indeed, I am seeking a copy of that version of Netscape after
recovering from a hard disk crash. I notice that Netscape 2 is
twice as large as the older one, and I don't know what to expect
when I try to install it tonight.

1. Help with sh script please - I'm desperate :-(

The following script is invoked when a ppp connection is made
into my system. As pppd doesn't recognize when the line is
dropped, I want to ping the remote site until it disconnects
and then kill pppd.

#! /bin/sh

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

# pppd invokes this with the parameters:
#         1             2       3        4            5
#   interface-name tty-device speed local-IP-addr remote-IP-addr
#

I_NAME=$1
TTY_DEV=$2
SPEED=$3
LOCAL_IP=$4
REMOTE_IP=$5

while :
do
        sleep 60
        ( ping -q -c 5 $REMOTE_IP | grep 100% ) && {
                test -f /var/run/$I_NAME.pid && {
                kill `cat /var/run/$I_NAME.pid`
                exit
                }
        }
done
exit

When ppp invokes the script the first ping and grep are
never terminated :-(
(ping tries 5 times to ping the remote host (no output) and
then reports from 0% up to 100% packet loss).

When I invoke the script interactively it works like a charm.

Is there any solution?

--

2. SB44 Security vulnerability in executables for HP GlancePlus

3. Please help identify old NIC..I'm desperate

4. NEW XFree86 BETA IS HERE! XFree86 v3.1.2D

5. please help me with sound i'm desperate

6. enlightenment a mem hog?

7. Please help! I'm getting desperate

8. The adventures of Flatfish, Part 1

9. ppp problem - PLEASE HELP I'm DESPERATE!!!!!!!!!

10. please don't read, it's only a test, thanks

11. PLEASE READ THIS : how do you get 'make config' to work ?

12. Proposal for a 'Please read before POSTING to this group' document

13. Proposal for a 'Please read before posting' document v 0.2