RH 5.1 partition sizes

Post by Bill » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

If I have a large disk say 6.4 Gig, can I partition it into 3 partitions

1 gig for WINDOZ, linux swap 128 meg, linux 5.3 Gig. My primary concern
is how big can I make the linux partition? Can it be 5.3 gig? I have
1995 micron millenia and I am thinking of trading in my 3 hardrives for
one large one.

Thanx in advance for your help.

RH 5.1 partition sizes

Post by Curly+ » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> If I have a large disk say 6.4 Gig, can I partition it into 3 partitions

> 1 gig for WINDOZ, linux swap 128 meg, linux 5.3 Gig. My primary concern
> is how big can I make the linux partition? Can it be 5.3 gig? I have
> 1995 micron millenia and I am thinking of trading in my 3 hardrives for
> one large one.

> Thanx in advance for your help.

  You may have to make 4 partitions.  Not because of Linux but because
your 1995 BIOS may not be able to boot from a partition that does not
end before some arbitrary track.  The ancient peoples of 1995 believed
the world was flat and disks could not be bigger than 2 gig.
  I am typing this on an even older PC with a BIOS that believes no disk
is larger than 500 meg!!!  Linux is using a 4 gig drive <GRIN>.
However, I was obliged to have all bootable partitions *end* before
track 1024.  I have a number of partitions, among them is a 120 meg boot
partition that contains /, the kernel very little else.

Oisin  "Curly++"  Curtin

1. Partition sizes in RH 5.1

I'm looking forward to installing my first Linux RH box on an otherwise
100% Msoft network (using dhcp). I have a scsi based P90/128mb ram/1.0g
and 2.0g scsi drives, 4mb pci video/scsi cd box that I am installing RH
5.1 on...the size and number of partitions suggested in the user guide
is rather confusing, especially about the "grow" option. Can anyone
suggest some sizes and locations for these partitions? I was thinking
about /boot, /root, /swap (and any other required partitions) for drive
1 and /usr (with branches), /var (with branches) and /tmp on drive 2.
Also, is the swap space okay at 64mb?

Thanks

Bob

2. IBM's dirty tricks and Slashdot

3. RH 5.1, How to change font size for xterm using fvwm2

4. Storing messages on a server

5. RH 5.1 partitions, FAT16/32, LBA, 40 GB, /boot etc??

6. Linux as internet router.

7. RH 5.1 and extended partition type 0x0f

8. clock program

9. RH 5.1 install: Why oh why does it absolutely insist on a swap partition???

10. rh 5.1 installation Partition

11. Multi OS SCSI Partitions Using fdisk - RH 5.1 Linux

12. Can a pgm compiled on RH 5.1 run on RH 4.2?

13. shadowed password on rh 5.1 / rh 5.2