What mail clients can mail directly to a smtp server

What mail clients can mail directly to a smtp server

Post by Bo Jacobse » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:24:49

I need a simple mail client that can send a mail by itself, without using
sendmail (or any other local mail program).

something lilke:

smtp.relay-server.com

Thanks in advance

--

What mail clients can mail directly to a smtp server

kmail, netscape -mail, ..

Post by FACORAT Fabric » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:57:54

> I need a simple mail client that can send a mail by itself, without using
> sendmail (or any other local mail program).

> something lilke:

> smtp.relay-server.com

kmail for example :

smtp server in defined in ... kmail config. you can edit kmailrc if you
want to do everything in console.

Sorry I don't test sylpheed or emacs

--
Windows: an Unrecoverable Acquisition Error!

What mail clients can mail directly to a smtp server

Post by Terry Port » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:02:41

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 02:57:54 +0100, FACORAT Fabrice in article

>> I need a simple mail client that can send a mail by itself, without using
>> sendmail (or any other local mail program).

>> something lilke:

>> smtp.relay-server.com

>kmail for example :

>smtp server in defined in ... kmail config. you can edit kmailrc if you
>want to do everything in console.

>Sorry I don't test sylpheed or emacs

Sylpheed, Balsa, Exmh, XFmail and even Pine but I dont know how to set
it up.

--
                 _
               .' `.              Free Micro Burner
               |a_a|   http://w3w.arafuraconnect.com.au/~tp/burn.html
  Debian       \ V /
  2.2.20      /(   )\      Linux Registration Number: 103931
             |\`> < /\           http://counter.li.org
             \_|=='|_/
* OSS is long-term credible ... FUD tactics can not be used to combat it.

What mail clients can mail directly to a smtp server

Post by Bo Jacobse » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 02:48:12

Sorry, I was not precise enough about what I need:

The machine is a minimum server without any GUI installed, so
I only wan't a simple (text based) mail client that can send a
mail by itself, without using sendmail (or any other local
mail program).

something like:

 Thanks in advance

Post by Grant Edwar » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:01:38

> Sorry, I was not precise enough about what I need:

> The machine is a minimum server without any GUI installed, so
> I only wan't a simple (text based) mail client that can send a
> mail by itself, without using sendmail (or any other local
> mail program).

I believe Pine can do what you want

http://www.washington.edu/pine/

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  FIRST, I was in a
                                  at               TRUCK...THEN, I was in

Post by Bo Jacobse » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:20:44

> > Sorry, I was not precise enough about what I need:

> > The machine is a minimum server without any GUI installed, so
> > I only wan't a simple (text based) mail client that can send a
> > mail by itself, without using sendmail (or any other local
> > mail program).

> I believe Pine can do what you want

Pine is not very usefull as a command line mailer, as you can not specify
all options
on the command line. It's a nice mail client, but it's mainly
screen-oriented.

http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/
--

University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

Post by cbbro.. » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 04:04:09

> > > Sorry, I was not precise enough about what I need:

> > > The machine is a minimum server without any GUI installed, so
> > > I only wan't a simple (text based) mail client that can send a
> > > mail by itself, without using sendmail (or any other local
> > > mail program).

> > I believe Pine can do what you want

> Pine is not very usefull as a command line mailer, as you can not specify
> all options
> on the command line. It's a nice mail client, but it's mainly
> screen-oriented.

The canonical "non-GUI, non-CUI (curses-based UI)" mail system is MH,
the Rand Mail Handling System.

These days, what gets deployed on Linux is usually the rearchitected
"new" version, NMH.  It has a full set of CLI-based tools; fuller than
most people ever get around to using all of :-).
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/mail.html#MH
QT adds to  a Linux distribution a level  of licencing complexity that

What mail clients can mail directly to a smtp server

Post by Bo Jacobse » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 04:23:40

This looks exactly like the thing I'm looking for, perfect.
I will try it out.

Thanks !.

--

> > The machine is a minimum server without any GUI installed, so
> > I only wan't a simple (text based) mail client that can send a
> > mail by itself, without using sendmail (or any other local
> > mail program).

> http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/
> --

+44-1223-336644
> University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2

3EJ

What mail clients can mail directly to a smtp server

Post by Gaetan Martinea » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 02:18:01

Quote:> Sylpheed, Balsa, Exmh, XFmail and even Pine but I dont know how to set
> it up.

Regarding mail client programs, where can I find a good review so that I
can decide from this source?

So far, I have tested mainly :

Netscape messenger, but it did crash with this "Bus error", that I could
never really fix.  Plus I would like to have an autoreply capabilty to a
few e-mail address and be able to bounce back mail from a certain
address.  I did not find it in netscape... (or I did not look enough?)

I am testing sylpheed , which seems nice (but whenever I post, I see
"--->(none)" to my posts even though my name is set to Gaetan Martineau
in the preferences....

Mozzila mail slows my system quite badly (pentium 233 Mhz).  Too much,
in fact.

Any idea?

--
Gatan Martineau, Chantal Lortie