dvips, logout, compaq, auc-tex

Post by Alain Mul » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I have several problems for which I cannot find a solution

1. when I invoke dvips, the program generates font through MakeTeXPK.
Apparently
MakeTexPK does not store its compiled fonts and has to do the generation
again on
every invoking of dvips. This is somewhat annoying. How can I solve it?

2. Every 4 or 5 times I perform a logout, the Xaccelerated login screen
will not reappear and the only thing I can do is to reboot the machine
from a virtual desktop. What is the problem there?

3. Does anyone know whether Linux (Slackware) can boot on a Compaq
ProSignia system with the propieraty SCSI drives?

4. I switched about a month ago from OS/2 to Linux. Under OS/2 I used
Emacs and auc-tex, so I also installed XEmacs and auc-tex on Linux. But
I find that f.e. the macro epsffig, which is automatically appended to
the "latex insert environnement" menu under OS/2 after including the
line "\usepackage{epsf}" is not added under the XEmacs-auctex version.
How should I proceed.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out with some or all of these
questions.

Alain

Alain Muls                                          tel +32/2/737.61.20
Royal Military Academy                         fax +32/2/737.60.47 ASGE

BELGIUM                                             ICBM 5050'N 542'E

dvips, logout, compaq, auc-tex

Post by Eric Monsle » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have several problems for which I cannot find a solution

> 1. when I invoke dvips, the program generates font through MakeTeXPK.
> Apparently
> MakeTexPK does not store its compiled fonts and has to do the generation
> again on
> every invoking of dvips. This is somewhat annoying. How can I solve it?

From question 2. I presume you are running Slackware.  The Slackware
distribution had this problem with the NTeX*distribution.  I
finally emailed the maintainer, Patrick Volken...(? oops), and he
suggested that I upgrade to teTeX, which was in the latest T disk set of
Slackware.

I did so and things work great, nothing as buggy as the font
regeneration.  There are a few configuration items I want to change, for
example dvips assumes A4 paper unless I use "dvips -t letter".  Overall,
an improvement, and the install instructions (I think in a README in T1,
I forget) were very clear and easy about replacing the old*with
the new.

I have no idea about Q2-Q4.  Good luck.

Eric

1. AUC-TeX Emacs package added to SLS TeX files

I've added auc-tex.tpz to the /pub/linux/SLS/t2 disk at
tsx-11.mit.edu. You may want to change some of the
defaults in /usr/emacs/lisp/tex-site.el; remember to
byte-compile tex-site.el if you do (or delete the
tex-site.elc that's included).
 the archive also contains a /usr/emacs/lisp/info.elc
different from the standard one..mine is Dave Gillespie's
improved Info reader to which i've made a one-line mod
so that it can unpack gzipped files as well as .Z files
(ie one can gzip all the files in /usr/emacs/info, except
for dir)

 Auc-TeX is a LaTeX/TeX package for Emacs. Source and
documentation can be found in
 /pub/linux/packages/TeX/auc-tex.tar.Z at tsx-11.mit.edu,
as well as at many other sites.

2. Install LINUX on IBM Aptiua E5U/E6U

3. Printing from AUC-TeX and Gnu emacs using Solaris' SunSoft Print Client

4. reliability of CAM scsi driver on ASUS P2B-S?

5. Gnu Emacs can't find file auc-tex

6. Gateway

7. TeX - dvips fonts

8. Linux-Misc Digest #730

9. trouble with TeX and dvips

10. lpd, TeX, dvips and ghostscript

11. installing TeX/dvips

12. TeX -> dvips -> gs -> DOS -> dj500: printer hangs

13. dvips (no tex.pro) problem from slackware 1.1.2