ppp problem

Post by Larry Krigbau » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

    I'm working with Redhat 6.2 and trying to establish a ppp connection to
my ISP.  I've been following the directions in the ppp HOW-TO using minicom
and 'pppd -d -detach /dev/ttyS0 115200'.  The ISP uses PAP and I believe I'm
okay with the pap-secret file/setup.  I connect and login to the ISP and
immediately get the following sequence of messages:

    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
<accomp>]
<accomp>]
<accomp>]
<accomp>]
<accomp>]
    Modem Hangup
    Connection Terminated.

    I've talked to the ISP who tells me that I'm connecting, authenticating
and* up, but that everything appears okay on their side.  I've also
tried connecting via netcfg per instructions in the "RedHat Linux Bible" and
also with the Redhat rh-kppp Dialer.  Both are equally unsuccessful, though
less informative.
    Could someone please offer and suggestions on what I might be doing
wrong, or point me in the direction of some additional resources?  Thanks.

ppp problem

Post by Mice » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I tried pppd in conjunction with /usr/sbin/chat and found it to be to picky
with the syntax. My ISP sent me a sample script which was OK but not great.
So I hunted around on my Redhat 6.0 system with "locate ppp" and found all
sorts of good documentation and sample scripts. In particular mine are
located in /usr/doc/ppp-2.3.7/scripts. They are reliable and easy to set up.
Steps to follow are:

1) Copy the ppp-on file to /usr/local/bin, then modify it to reflect your
own ISP's telephone dial-up number, your ISP login-account name, and your
password. Not surprisingly the fields are called TELEPHONE, ACCOUNT, and
PASSWORD. Also ensure that the com port is specified correctly, (ie: ttyS1
is com2), and that you specify the maximum modem speed (ie: 57,600).

2) Copy the ppp-on-dialer file to /etc/ppp. Modify it by adding the
following line to the end of the file:

"my ISP's prompt for a ppp connection"  ppp

Note: Replace "my ISP's prompt for a ppp connection" with the end characters
of whatever string your ISP uses to prompt you for starting the PPP
connection. My ISP uses "indirbclng10101m01>", so I use the line:

">"  ppp

3) In the same ppp-on-dialer script modify the line called "ogin:  --ongin:
$ACCOUNT" to read "name:  $ACCOUNT". This is only required if your ISP
prompts you as "Username:" rather than "Login:".

4) The ppp-off script does not need to be copied from
/usr/doc/ppp-2.3.7/scripts. Instead create a file called ppp-off and place
it in /usr/local/bin. Inside the file put one line as follows:  "killall
pppd".

5) To start ppp automatically when booting place the following line into
/etc/rc.d/rc.local:

"/usr/local/bin/ppp-on  &"

6) To stop ppp either type "/usr/local/bin/ppp-off", or else type "killall
pppd".

INSTRUCTIONS TO USE THE HORRIBLE /USR/SBIN/CHAT IN A SINGLE LINE:

1)    Type the following horrible line and press the "Enter" key:

pppd  /dev/ttyS1  57600  connect  '/usr/sbin/chat ""  atdtp2801234  CONNECT
""  Username:  <your username>  Password:  <yourpassword> <ppp prompt
characters>  ppp'  noipdefault  defaultroute

PS: I'm not sure about the PAP because I've never needed it or bothered with
it.

Good luck,
Micer

Quote:>     I'm working with Redhat 6.2 and trying to establish a ppp connection