RAMDISK in RedHat 5.2, what are them for? Can remove them?

RAMDISK in RedHat 5.2, what are them for? Can remove them?

Post by Choon-Cheng Ch » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have just upgraded a RH 4.1 to RH5.2. I noticed that there are a
number of RAMdisks being created when the system boots up. Any idea
what are they used for? Is it advisible to remove them to save memory?

Choon-Cheng Chee
=========================

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
=========================
* remove stopspam to e-mail me *

Post by Jeremy Mathe » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I have just upgraded a RH 4.1 to RH5.2. I noticed that there are a
>number of RAMdisks being created when the system boots up. Any idea
>what are they used for? Is it advisible to remove them to save memory?

I imagine you are referring to the "Created 16 RAMdisks of 4096 bytes"
message that appears on boot.  Don't worry about it.

No memory is used until you actually allocate the RAM disks (with
mke2fs /dev/ram[x]).

Post by removethi » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>>I have just upgraded a RH 4.1 to RH5.2. I noticed that there are a
>>number of RAMdisks being created when the system boots up. Any idea
>>what are they used for? Is it advisible to remove them to save memory?

>I imagine you are referring to the "Created 16 RAMdisks of 4096 bytes"
>message that appears on boot.  Don't worry about it.

Yes, exactly. 8)

Quote:

>No memory is used until you actually allocate the RAM disks (with
>mke2fs /dev/ram[x]).

Ok.. Any idea what they are created for?

Thx!

Choon-Cheng Chee
=========================
chee at mail-me dot com
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
=========================
* Watch my return address! Editing required !*

RAMDISK in RedHat 5.2, what are them for? Can remove them?

Post by Jeremy Mathe » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>I imagine you are referring to the "Created 16 RAMdisks of 4096 bytes"
>>message that appears on boot.  Don't worry about it.

>Yes, exactly. 8)

>>No memory is used until you actually allocate the RAM disks (with
>>mke2fs /dev/ram[x]).

>Ok.. Any idea what they are created for?

They are shells (templates, sort of) - so that you can make real ram
disks out of them if you choose to.  Note that, in the kernel (and
kernel sources) as shipped, RAM disks are limited to 4MB (4096K).  You can
fiddle with a kernel parameter and recompile if you want bigger ones.

RAMDISK in RedHat 5.2, what are them for? Can remove them?

Post by James Youngma » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >No memory is used until you actually allocate the RAM disks (with
> >mke2fs /dev/ram[x]).

> Ok.. Any idea what they are created for?

The kernel you run is the same as the one used for the install; the
ramdisk is used as the root device while installing Linux.

--

RAMDISK in RedHat 5.2, what are them for? Can remove them?

Post by removethi » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Thanks!

>>>I imagine you are referring to the "Created 16 RAMdisks of 4096 bytes"
>>>message that appears on boot.  Don't worry about it.

>>Yes, exactly. 8)

>>>No memory is used until you actually allocate the RAM disks (with
>>>mke2fs /dev/ram[x]).

>>Ok.. Any idea what they are created for?

>They are shells (templates, sort of) - so that you can make real ram
>disks out of them if you choose to.  Note that, in the kernel (and
>kernel sources) as shipped, RAM disks are limited to 4MB (4096K).  You can
>fiddle with a kernel parameter and recompile if you want bigger ones.

RAMDISK in RedHat 5.2, what are them for? Can remove them?

Post by removethi » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On 03 Jan 1999 21:19:43 +0000, James Youngman

>> >No memory is used until you actually allocate the RAM disks (with
>> >mke2fs /dev/ram[x]).

>> Ok.. Any idea what they are created for?

>The kernel you run is the same as the one used for the install; the
>ramdisk is used as the root device while installing Linux.

>--

I just install RH 5.2, and didn't touch the kernel since then. Does
that mean I need to redo the kernel to get rid of them? Do they
actually take up any memory (I didn't allocate the RAM disk)?

If they won't cause negative impact, I am just going to leave them
alone. 8)

Thx!

Post by Villy Kru » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>On 03 Jan 1999 21:19:43 +0000, James Youngman

>I just install RH 5.2, and didn't touch the kernel since then. Does
>that mean I need to redo the kernel to get rid of them? Do they
>actually take up any memory (I didn't allocate the RAM disk)?

The inital ram disk is only required to load the scsi driver before
mounting the root file system.  If you don't have scsi you don't need
the inital ram disk and the install procedure won't make one.

In any case the space used by the initial ram disk will be released as
soon as the real root file system is mounted.

Villy

Post by removethi » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>The inital ram disk is only required to load the scsi driver before
>mounting the root file system.  If you don't have scsi you don't need
>the inital ram disk and the install procedure won't make one.

>In any case the space used by the initial ram disk will be released as
>soon as the real root file system is mounted.

I don't have SCSI. I wonder why they were created, and I doubt I have
specified SCSI support. Nevermind... I will leave them alone.

Thx for the reply! 8)

Choon-Cheng Chee
=========================
chee at mail-me dot com
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
=========================
* Watch my return address! Editing required !*

1. Redhat 5.2 on Sparc IPC Ramdisk question

I've got a sparc IPC with 48Mb of Ram running redhat 5.2 and its very
slowwwww.
when i do a free I only see about 2 megs of free ram so that may be the
problem.
When I reboot i see that there are 16 ramdisks created of 4 megs each,
so they might be sucking up my memory.

Is this true ?? and if its true are these ramdisks needed for something
and how can I lose them

Thanks for helping

Jeroen van Donzel

2. Support for (E)ISA FastEthernet in 4.0?

3. Disabling Ramdisk in Redhat 5.2

4. Exit status of child proc - yes I know, I know it's been asked before...

5. I am having troubles installing StarOffice 5.2 from the RedHat 7.2 distribution

6. Wireless Samba networking - newbie

7. RedHat 5.2 dialler - am i doing it right ?

8. hard disk survey

9. RedHat 5.2 Install.. What am I doing wrong?

10. Red Hat 5.2 RAMDISK questions

11. RH 5.2 Hangs at: RAMDISK: Compressed...

12. Red Hat 5.2 Ramdisk problem

13. Installing RedHat 6.0 over Redhat 5.2