Q: Repairing ext2fs with bad superblock

Post by Dan Nil » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I need help repairing an ext2fs with a bad superblock.

In Solaris it is easy to fix a file system with a corrupted
superblock, simply:

        solairs> newfs -N <block device>
        solairs> fsck -o b=<superblock>

Linux ext2fs has:

        linux> e2fsck -b <superblock>

I can't find any way to get a list of superblocks in Linux.  Is there
any way to do this in Linux?

In Solaris, 32 is always a backup superblock. Are there any backup
superblocks that can be counted on in Linux ext2fs?

Dan

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I can't find any way to get a list of superblocks in Linux.  Is there
> any way to do this in Linux?

backup superblocks are stored every ((n*8192)+1) blocks.  so, the first one
is stored at block 8193.

paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.92p2 i586 | at public servers
Running Windows on a Pentium is like having a brand new Porsche but only
be able to drive backwards with the handbrake on.
(Unknown source)

1. Bad superblock repair

Hi,
   My hard disk has been trashed ( 1Gig. IBM SCSI on adaptec 1542B
controller).I have tried to repair it using e2fsck from slackware 3.0
( It was running slackware 2.1).When I try to mount the disk afterwards
it complains of a bad superblock and hangs.I have tried several times
to repair things but It will not work.Does anybody know how to fix
this.

BTW does anybody know why an adaptec 1542b not work when it is put
in a pentium/PCI machine?(Just curious about this one)

        Jason

2. make world error!

3. Help repairing Redhat 7.1 -- How can I repair the superblock?

4. Interrupting program from command line

5. Bad SuperBlock - ext2fs vs Win95

6. No login prompt after connecting to linux

7. NFS wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock, etc

8. NEC JC-1401P3ED modelines

9. bad partition on good disk won't mount or fsck (bad magic number/superblock)

10. Bad Superblock -> Bad Magic Number ->Segmentation fault?

11. mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc1,

12. Repairing Superblock!

13. HELP! File system repair for corrupted superblock?