Advice sought: seeking archival storage system for Linux

Advice sought: seeking archival storage system for Linux

Post by Donald Bu » Sun, 17 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Recently, due to space shortage on my Windows 95 partition, I have moved my
huge collection of Offline Archive files to my Linux ext2 partition.  These
are files that I've accumulated over time -- shareware programs, graphics
files, etc. -- that I need to keep around in accessable format (if a friend
requires a certain shareware program, I should be able to dig it up within a
reasonable amount of time, etc.).  Moving them over to Linux is acceptable
because it doesn't take much effort to shut down Windows 95 (when I'm at a
convenient "stopping point" in my work), boot into Linux, get the files, etc.

The ideal solution, of course, would be to either get a bigger hard drive, or
(this is what I REALLY want to do) get an entire machine to dedicate to
Linux, so that I can use both at the same time (which is what I want to do
anyway).  But alas, money is the limiting factor: basically, I have none to
spend.

My problem is that, with all the stuff dumped onto my Linux system, I have no
space available.  In order to fit all my archives on Linux, I had to compress
a great deal of the system binaries and all of my local files.  This leaves
very little of a usable system, so I can't get a lot of work done.

What I do have is about a TON (literally!) of 3.5" high density (1.44Mb)
floppy disks.  What I am looking for is a Linux program that I can use to
archive all of my stuff onto these floppy disks.

The program would have to do this:

Priority     Function
========     ========
high         Maintain a "table of contents" that lists what files are on
             what disk(s)

high         Be able to random-access the archive: if I wanted a specific
             file, and it was located on disk #14, I wouldn't have to go
             through disks #1-13 to get to it.

high         Be able to add new files to the end of the archive, without
             having to re-do the whole thing all over again.

low          Be able to store the files in any of the filesystem formats,
             mainly MS-DOS.

I'm hoping (and praying) that this isn't such an insurmountable task.  Surely
someone else has come up with a need similar to mine, and maybe a program
exists that can fill these needs.

I'm attempting to search the archives, but so far, have had not much luck.

Please, if anyone nows of a program that can help me out, please e-mail a
response (preferable) or post a follow-up.  Thanks!
--

TEL: (805)564-1871 // FAX: 564-2315 // WWW: http://www.silcom.com/~picard
PGP Public Key and more are available through the Auto-Responder -- send

1. Advice Sought: Is this a good system for linux?

I have been through many of the linux HOWTO's and think that
the system below will be OK for linux. However I'm not too familiar
with some of the terminology so distrust my own assesment.
Therefore I hope some generous person here can reassure me :-}

The system I'm thinking of buying is the "Dan Premium Vantage".
The specifications are,
  . 8Mb RAM - Secondary Cache memory
  . Pentium Overdrive (P24T) Intel Verified
  . 2 Vesa Local Bus(VL) slots
  . 1Mb Vesa Local Bus Windows Accelerator
  . IDE Vesa Local Bus hard Disk Controller

There is a choice of processor, Intel SX/25, DX/33, DX2/50, DX2/66,
(and a special offer on AMD 486/33 and AMD 486/66 options)
Hard disk sizes are available in the range 210Mb to 525Mb.

Things I would like to know include
  . Can I run XFree on this system?
  . Will I be able to run linux straight from distribution or
    will patches be necessary?
  . Is there more information I should get from Dan first?

Dan also offers a multimedia upgrade which includes soundblaster16
and a panasonic562 cd-rom drive. From what I read in the HOWTO this
sounds like a compatible combination, am I right?

Any comments or experiences with Linux on dan PC's would be welcome.

----- :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) :*) -----
-                                                                 -

-  Dept of Chemical Engng,               Fax: +44 (031) 650 6551  -
-  Univ. of Edinburgh,                 Phone: +44 (031) 650 4866  -
-  Edinburgh EH9 3JL, Scotland.                                   -
-                                                                 -
---------   http://www.chemeng.ed.ac.uk/people/murray/   ----------

2. Connecting to a webserver

3. Seeking advice on new system purchase

4. DMA on Tecra500

5. NFS:Seek advice on file system naming schemes

6. Boca Memory Expansion Ram Disk as Swap Device

7. Multiple system account administrtation advice sought

8. AS/400 terminal emulators for Linux

9. Advice sought on r/w optical system

10. Seeking Advice on New System: How Well Will This Work?

11. tar: /dev/st0: Warning: Cannot seek: Illegal seek

12. Linux newbie seeks hardware advice

13. Linux and BBS setup -- Advice sought