How to spin down SCSI disks?

Post by Andy Spie » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi!

Since my Linux-Box is running day and night, I'd like to turn
off as many components as possible when they are not needed.

I have only SCSI hard disks so I can't use hdparm to set the
idle time after which the disks spin down.  Is there any other
way to achieve this?  Maybe something similar to this:
  echo "scsi turnoff-single-device 0 0 1 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

Thanks a lot for any pointers,
 Andy.
 Andy Spiegl, PhD Student, Technical University, Muenchen, Germany

 PGP fingerprint: B8 48 24 7B DB 96 6F 1C  D9 6D 8E 6C DB C2 E7 E9
                                o      _     _         _
  --------- __o       __o      /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)
  ------- _`\<,_    _`\<,_    _>(_) (_)/<_    \_| \   _|/' \/
  ------ (_)/ (_)  (_)/ (_)  (_)        (_)   (_)    (_)'  _\o_

How to spin down SCSI disks?

Post by Holger Lubi » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Since my Linux-Box is running day and night, I'd like to turn
> off as many components as possible when they are not needed.

What for - to reduce power consumption? To reduce noise emission? Both? The
power savings are neglegible (unless you're still using old 5,25" bricks -
but then you'd want a closed server cabinet anyway). The noise emission can
be cured. Most people achieve good results by laying out their cases with
carpet. * bands between the disk and its mounting brackets have been
known to work in some cases, too.

Quote:> I have only SCSI hard disks so I can't use hdparm to set the
> idle time after which the disks spin down.

You don't want to do this. It severely reduces the life span of your disks.
Especially if your disks have been running 24h in the last months. I once
had a disk that was quite close to failing (more noise than usual, lots of
grown defects), yet still was working fine. Until the day I had to remove
some RAM (for testing another machine with RAM known to be good). Power
down, power up, boot - disk still working. Phew. Then I reinstalled the
RAM. The disk didn't survive the second reboot.

Quote:> Is there any other
> way to achieve this?  Maybe something similar to this:
>   echo "scsi turnoff-single-device 0 0 1 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

If you really _want_ to ruin your disks, you can use the SCSI-commands
STOP_UNIT and START_UNIT (which were originally intended for controlled
spin down before swapping a RAID disk and delayed spin up in servers).
There once was a "scsi-idle-patch" which did this from the kernel. But I
don't know if it still works with current kernels. Generally it's a bad
idea, anyway.

Holger

--

How to spin down SCSI disks?

Post by Martin Hoffma » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: Hi!

: Since my Linux-Box is running day and night, I'd like to turn
: off as many components as possible when they are not needed.

: I have only SCSI hard disks so I can't use hdparm to set the
: idle time after which the disks spin down.  Is there any other
: way to achieve this?  Maybe something similar to this:
:   echo "scsi turnoff-single-device 0 0 1 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

: Thanks a lot for any pointers,
:  Andy.

dem scsi-idle-patch muss allerdings irgendwo per Hand anchgeholfen werden.
Ist aber ganz einfach ..
Trotzedem sinnvoller ist es Schalldaempfende Massnachemn durchzufuehren.
Ich wuesste gern was aus dem "Silent-Case" geworden ist. Das ist eine
unverschaemt teure Gummibox die mal in der c't vorgestellt wurde.

Martin

*                                      *
*           Martin Hoffmann            *

*                                      *

How to spin down SCSI disks?

Post by Thomas Raus » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Dieses l?uft bei mir unter 2.0.30 ohne Probleme.

Tsch?
Thomas

Begin3
Title:          scsi-idle - Turn off SCSI disks when idle (Take 2)
Version:        1.3.32
Entered-date:   09OCT95
                period of inactivity.
                scsi-idle can probably be considered to be BETA software
now,
                it works for me and half dozen other people, but YMMV.

Primary-site:   ctrl-c.liu.se /unix/linux/wingel
                scsi-idle-1_3_32_tar.gz
Alternate-site: sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/kernel/patches/scsi
                scsi-idle-1.3.32.tar.gz
Platforms:      Linux
Copying-policy: Freely distributable
End

1. spin down scsi disk?

I'm looking fo a program to spin down (and up :-) scsi disks. I'm not
looking for the scsi-idle patch as I tell the drive when it is idle.
(and I don't want to hack an old patch into each and every new kernel!)

I think I've heard of such a beast but failed to find it, now.

Matthias
--

2. Where can I find updated utils for 1.3.73?

3. spin down scsi-discs

4. CD-R55S external, cdrecord

5. Program to spin-down SCSI disks?

6. LP files

7. Spinning down scsi disks : mailing list

8. Speed problem w/ 10/100 mbit eth + switched hub

9. Spin down of SCSI Disk

10. How To Spin-Down a SCSI Disk??

11. scsi disk keeps resetting, spin up/down

12. Disks Spin Down

13. Program to spin discs up and down?