Minimum Hard Ware Requirement for Windows NT,95,Dos & linex,

Minimum Hard Ware Requirement for Windows NT,95,Dos & linex,

Post by uzman al » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

My Name is Uzman,I want to ask the minimum(complete)hardware requirement
for WindowsNT,95,98,Dos,Linex.

Post by Karel Janse » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

> My Name is Uzman,I want to ask the minimum(complete)hardware requirement
> for WindowsNT,95,98,Dos,Linex.

For DOS: a computer.
For Linux: a computer with at least a 386 CPU and 8 mb RAM (should
work with less, but more difficult).
For Windowsxx: the fastest, most expensive machine you can find in the
shop is the minimum required machine. For smooth running you will
always need next year's hardware..

Karel Jansens
jansens_at_attglobal_dot_net
VapourSig 1.1 has been postponed indefinitely

Post by Villy Kru » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

>> My Name is Uzman,I want to ask the minimum(complete)hardware requirement
>> for WindowsNT,95,98,Dos,Linex.

>For DOS: a computer.
>For Linux: a computer with at least a 386 CPU and 8 mb RAM (should
>work with less, but more difficult).
>For Windowsxx: the fastest, most expensive machine you can find in the
>shop is the minimum required machine. For smooth running you will
>always need next year's hardware..

Same for linux if you intend to run the latest and gratest x-windows
application, web browsing, and multimedia.  Good old CLI programs are
much more modest in memory requirements.

Villy

Post by mst » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

> >> My Name is Uzman,I want to ask the minimum(complete)hardware requirement
> >> for WindowsNT,95,98,Dos,Linex.

> >For DOS: a computer.
> >For Linux: a computer with at least a 386 CPU and 8 mb RAM (should
> >work with less, but more difficult).
> >For Windowsxx: the fastest, most expensive machine you can find in the
> >shop is the minimum required machine. For smooth running you will
> >always need next year's hardware..

> Same for linux if you intend to run the latest and gratest x-windows
> application, web browsing, and multimedia.  Good old CLI programs are
> much more modest in memory requirements.

> Villy

X runs fine here, with KDE, Netscape, Real Player (a tad choppy, I
agree), on a 486-DX2/50.

MST

Post by Gerald Willman » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

> X runs fine here, with KDE, Netscape, Real Player (a tad choppy, I
> agree), on a 486-DX2/50.

same here, on a P75 with 64 megs (enough RAM is important), and even with
two concurrent users (one remotely, of course).
                                                      Gerald
--

Post by DeAnn Iwa » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

> My Name is Uzman,I want to ask the minimum(complete)hardware requirement
> for WindowsNT,95,98,Dos,Linex.

> --

      It's rather hard to get an "exact" answer because there are
various versions of the OS mentioned, and various applications and
performance minimums that are tolerable in different situations.

     In general, DOS will run on 8088, 8086s and 80x86s.  Most versions
of DOS (free dos, dr dos, msdos3.3, msdos6.22, etc.) will fit entirely
on 1-3 floppies (a few more if you include lots of extra utilities),
will run / boot /boot-and-run from floppy, and will take up 1-20 MB on
hard disk (depending on whether you include source code, how many
utilities, etc.).  They will execute happily in 1 MB RAM, but most apps
want as much of the 640KB of "low memory" that they can get.

     Win95 will definitely run in 4 MB RAM, and might run in 2 MB or
less (it is primarily DOS anyway)...but many apps benefit from 8 MB
RAM.  It came out in the era of 80386s, and I THINK it needs an 80386
(but am not sure).  I am not sure of the hard disk space used, but I
think it is around 100 MB.  It is slowish on a 486, though.

     Win98 wants more RAM (I think it calls for 32 MB), not sure about
80x86s.  I think it occupies more like 200 MB disk space.  It is more
sluggish on a 486 than win95.

     WinNT I have only used briefly.  Win NT crawls on a 486, and
probably requires 32BM+ RAM.  I'd estimate 200 MB on hard disk.

    Linux requires an 80386 (or other processor to which it has been
ported).  Most major distributions require ~100 MB.  But, again, you can
install a very basic linux on a floppy and run without a hard drive.
You cannot DO much with it though without applications that require
considerably more room.  You want at least an 486 to do much in X (I am
happy with X on a 486....many find it too slow....and of course that
depends somewhat on the apps you are using).  A "full" distribution with
X windows and many of the basic unix utilities people EXPECT (like less)
runs at least 200 MB...up to 600 to 700 with common basic apps (like an
office suite and a web server aboard, but not one of every program that
is available for the unix world).  The typical kernel uses 5 MB, and
running with less takes a specialty distribution.  I'd say most users
want 8MB to run console mode, and 16 or so for X (more if you have
memory hungry apps).

     My recommendations (based on machine capability, not OS
wonderfulness) would be:

8088-80286 DR DOS or Free DOS variant. (or Minix)

80386  console Linux or above DOS

80486, 8+MB RAM  console-(16MB+RAM) X Linux or (4+MB RAM) Win95 or DR
DOS

80586+, 32 MB+ RAM   any listed OS.

     Hope that helps.

80586+

  diwan.vcf
< 1K Download

Minimum Hard Ware Requirement for Windows NT,95,Dos & linex,

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

On 15 May 2000 19:41:58 GMT, Ken Arromdee

>>     Win95 will definitely run in 4 MB RAM, and might run in 2 MB or
>>less (it is primarily DOS anyway)...but many apps benefit from 8 MB
>>RAM.  It came out in the era of 80386s, and I THINK it needs an 80386
>>(but am not sure).  I am not sure of the hard disk space used, but I
>>think it is around 100 MB.  It is slowish on a 486, though.

>You mean Windows 3.1 here.

>Windows 95 should run on 16M and may run sluggishly on 8M.

I've seen Win95 running... er, crawling sluggishly on a 486/33 with
4M.  I have no idea how they managed to get it installed, but it was
there and it was functional if you wanted to wait 35 seconds to open
Notepad.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

1. Installing Windows 95, Windows NT & Linux on same hard disk

Hi!

    I have a 4.3 gig hard disk in my office which I split into 3
partitions. The rough layout of the partitions are in this manner:

    1 Primary partition assigned to Windows 95    C Drive    2 Gig
    1 Extended
partition                                                        2 Gig
    1 Logical partition assigned to Windows NT    D Drive   1 1 Gig
    1 Logical partition reserved for Linux               E Drive   1 1
Gig

    According to above, I have already installed Windows 95 and Windows
NT. After booting up from linux boot and root disk, I run fdisk and did
a check on my partition table. What I saw was only the primary partition
and the extended partition but no logical partitions was shown. Since it
did not show me the logical drives, I couldn't select anything for my
linux native or linux swap. I'm wondering if there's a way to get linux
fdisk to show me the logical drives so that I can install Linux to it.

    Anyway, if any of you has experienced installing all 3 Operating
Systems on the same hard disk, can you tell me how to work around this
or tell me how to get it done so that I can have all 3 OS installed on
the same hard disk.

Alex

2. Telnet Authentication Bug!

3. I want Linux, Windows 95 & Windows NT all on C:

4. Piping digital camera pics into tar then into ssh - how ?

5. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server

6. unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)

7. Remote control DOS/Windows 3.1x/95/98/NT/OS2 WARP from UNIX!

8. wu-ftpd-2.4 build problems..

9. Linux access from dos/win/windows 95/NT

10. Remote control DOS/Windows 3.1x/95/98/NT/OS2 WARP from UNIX!

11. Books about UNIX, Windows 95 & NT , MS word , excel and more...

12. FXHTML Pilot Released for Linux, Windows 95/NT & SunOS

13. Windows'95 & OS/2 sux, Linux, DOS and System 7 are good