Graphical Offline Mail/News readers?

Post by Alexander Hin » Mon, 12 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I'm a newbie to Linux and have begun migrating away from the Mac.  As
such, it is hard for me to give up all my graphical tools, esp. Eudora
(offline mail reader) and my offline news reader.  I'm wondering, do
similar tools exist for Linux?  Or while I have to run them under Windoze?

Thanks in advance.

--X

--
--X

Post by Steffen Ullri » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>I'm a newbie to Linux and have begun migrating away from the Mac.  As
>such, it is hard for me to give up all my graphical tools, esp. Eudora
>(offline mail reader) and my offline news reader.  I'm wondering, do
>similar tools exist for Linux?  Or while I have to run them under Windoze?

MAIL:
use popclient for retrieving the mail, sendmail for posting the mail (the
same protocols [pop3/smtp] uses eudora). I start them automatically once
I dial up. popclient will transport the mail to your local mailbox where you
can read them with any mail tool you want (even graphical).

NEWS:
there are several packages for getting the news offline. I wrote one myself
wich automatically deletes the read news and retrieves the new news from the
nntp-server and stores it into the standard files on the system. once you
retrieved the news from the nntp-server you can use ANY news reader you want
(I think xrn must be a graphical one) wich is configured for reading the
news local.

for more information on my news package, extended popclients, reading WWW pages
offline ... have a look at
        http://www.xensei.com/users/ccrlphr/

1. OFFline graphical mail reader

There is a (I don't know how new) Offline GUI mail reader on
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/mail/mua
That is really nice. It has all the gadgets and so far I haven't had a
problem with it over the past week. You may want to check it out if your
looking for a graphical offline mail reader for Linux. It comes as a binary,
no source code. Simple to install for the newbie.

The name is XCmail.

No I'm not affiliated with it at all, I just happen to like it for a GUI
type reader.

Later

--

"I will have the most ethical administration in history."
Bill Clinton;   Nov. 1992

Yeah, right....

2. how to change the case of a letter in a filename with mv?

3. Are there any offline news/mail readers for LINUX?

4. whois information

5. Graphical, user-friendly Mail'n News Reader

6. problems un taring a file.

7. Newbie looking for good off-line news reader

8. fh_verify clogging log

9. Offline News Reader

10. Off-Line News Reader?

11. Off-line news reader for LInux ?