Getting information on mounted partitions

Getting information on mounted partitions

Post by Alexandre Oberli » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:50:00

Hi all

I couldn't find an answer to these 2 questions :
1. How can I know if a mounted partition belongs to a removable drive
(CDROM, Jaz, etc)
2. How can I read the label of a CDROM ?

1. Reconstucting the information needed to mount an NTFS partition under Linux

Hello,

I unfortunatly recently managed to get the partitiontable on one of my
HDs screwed up. ( a careless answer of yes to "should I fix this
error" in Partition Magic, sure wont do that again...)

Then while trying to reconstruct it manually from my memory, I think I
overwrote the beginning of a NTFS partition with an extended
partition. Now if I interpret mount's ouput correctly, I overwrote the
superblock, which contains necessary information for mounting the
partition.

My question is now, can somebody give me some hints as to how I might
be able to recover the files from the harddrive? Ever since
overwriting the superblock I didnt do any more writes to the HD, so
the actual files should all still be fine.

Here are some things I allready did try:

- GNU parted rescue (not compatible with NTFS)
- gpart, just froze my kernel when trying to locate lost partitions
- Win2k chkdsk says it doesnt support raw devices
- doing some wild DD's from the original partition to a working NTFS
partition, hoping I could somehow get the files, however these were
just unsofisticated potshots.

Does anybody know, how I could either reconstruct this damaged
superblock to make the partition mountable again, or maybe know a way
I can extract the Files somehow by "raw" access?

Regards,
Christopher Peters

2. Driving Epson Serially

3. getting the network interface information and default gateway information ??

4. FTP Access Question...

5. Newbie needs help getting linux to mount root partition RW

6. Need somebody for a small test on the Irix-OS

7. Getting info about Mounted / Auto Mount Filesystems

8. What is login.secure from shadow-mk package?

9. mounting several partitions on the same mount point

10. HELP: Can not mount UFS partitions - too many partitions

11. nfs-mount rejects mounted partitions

12. 250G partition - can't mount it (partition & format good)