Installation problem using slackware-96 & IBM ThinkPad560

Installation problem using slackware-96 & IBM ThinkPad560

Post by Mukul Agarwa » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Subject: problems using  bootdisk for  ethernet.

 i am trying to load slackware 96 to my IBM Thinkpad 560
 dual scan, 16mb ram, 3Com 3c562 ethernet controller card
 810mb hard drive.
 i have mounted the cdrom over the NFS partition.

 To install slackware-96 from NFS i tried making bootdisk
 (net.i) which supports ethernet.  The prblem arises
 when i try to boot off the bootdisk. On the LILO boot prompt
 when i hit enter it tries to load ramdisk but before it can
 uncompress the kernel it reboots and comes back to LILO prompt.
 Note: it does not say about any errors.
 i have also tried scsinet.i . it has the same problem.
 i then tried using bare.i and that works but then i could
 not load drivers for ethernet.

 I called tech support at Walnut Creek but they dont have an
 answer.

 Note: i allready have debian 1.1 installed but it does not
 work at more than 640x480 resolution and even at 640x480 the
 fonts look gross and as i heard people did get 800x600 working
 with slackware 96.

 Would appreciate any kind of help in getting this to work.

--
Mukul Agarwal             NexGen Inc.
Systems Administrator     1623 Buckeye Dr.

Voice: 408-325-8258       Fax: 408-435-0262

Installation problem using slackware-96 & IBM ThinkPad560

Post by Brian Jepso » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

[...]

>  I called tech support at Walnut Creek but they dont have an
>  answer.

>  Note: i allready have debian 1.1 installed but it does not
>  work at more than 640x480 resolution and even at 640x480 the
>  fonts look gross and as i heard people did get 800x600 working
>  with slackware 96.

>  Would appreciate any kind of help in getting this to work.

   I'm assuming that you're talking about the X installation, and not
text mode, or Doom :-)

   I would think that the resolution problem would be a function of your
XF86Config, not the distribution (Slackware vs. Debian) you used. I
haven't tried Debian lately, but it could be a matter of which version
of Xfree86 it comes with, or more likely, the XF86Config you're using.
I've always had luck finding an XF86Config that worked okay with the
various laptops I've used. As far as the ugly fonts, perhaps the package
you installed did not include a complete set of fonts?

  In any case, if you're only unhappy with the X configuration, maybe
you ought to see if it's possible to debug that rather than installing
from scratch.

Hope this helps,

Brian Jepson

--

http://www.ids.net/~bjepson

_Java_Database_Programming_ table of contents:
http://www.ids.net/~bjepson/javadb

1. FS: "Linux: Configuration & Installation", 2nd Edition, with Slackware 96 2 CD-ROM set

I am selling the following book for $23 plus P&H:

        "Linux: Configuration & Installation"
        by Patrick Volkerding, Kevin Reichart, Eric F. Johnson
        2nd Edition, MIS Press
        Book includes Linux Slackware 96 distribution on 2 CD-ROMs.

2. LILO won't boot from hard disk.

3. Netscape 2.0 out

4. Problems with slackware 96 installation

5. Trouble starting X

6. Slackware 96 installation problem

7. PPP: Compiling-related problems?

8. PPP Problem using Slackware 96

9. Problems using su - with Slackware 96

10. problem of using 3Com 3c5x9 combo card for Slackware 96

11. Problem of using 3Com 3c5x9 Combo card with Slackware 96

12. HELP: BrandNew installation of Slackware'96 won't boot.